• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American 22lr match ammo

nockhunter

Private
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2010
    upstate ny
    Looks like we might see some American made match again.

Mike

FP_711B_22LRGoldMedalTarget_Combo_Rm.jpg

FP_719_22LRGoldMedalHVMatch_Combo_Rm.jpg

Sorry to bust y'er bubble...but zoom in on those pics.
    There's a freaking monster chip missing on the bottom most bullet
    and the other three show dents, dings and visibly irregular drive bands.

That's typical Federal made 22lr. :(

Those are the images chosen to sell the product?
    Truth in advertising, eh? :D

No American company unfortunately makes anything close to match grade 22 these days.
    on occasion you may stumble into a decent lot of CCI standard, but it is pretty rare. If you want match grade accuracy only the Europeans seem to do it right.

I've still got several boxes of the German-made (RWS?) Federal UltraMatch (UM22) that was being sold-off at decent prices by several wholesalers a few years ago. The order I bought was from Midway, and included three different lots of it. I've tried it in several of my custom barreled rifles, and in an Anschutz 2011 with the factory barrel, but it didn't shoot as good as a very good lot of SK Std+ in any of those rifles. IIRC, I paid $10/box of 50 for it, which was higher than what I'd seen it advertised for at other outlets - but Midway was the only place I could find it when I finally decided to try some of it. It looks like quality ammo, and I remember several guys here who liked it, so I'm assuming that my experience with it isn't typical. Too bad there isn't a good, steady supply of ammo at least as good as this stuff was rumored to be today...

I've still got several boxes of the German-made (RWS?) Federal UltraMatch (UM22) that was being sold-off at decent prices by several wholesalers a few years ago. The order I bought was from Midway, and included three different lots of it. I've tried it in several of my custom barreled rifles, and in an Anschutz 2011 with the factory barrel, but it didn't shoot as good as a very good lot of SK Std+ in any of those rifles. IIRC, I paid $10/box of 50 for it, which was higher than what I'd seen it advertised for at other outlets - but Midway was the only place I could find it when I finally decided to try some of it. It looks like quality ammo, and I remember several guys here who liked it, so I'm assuming that my experience with it isn't typical. Too bad there isn't a good, steady supply of ammo at least as good as this stuff was rumored to be today...
    That is RWS R50 in a federal box

Mike

15-20 yrs back when FGMM was in the white-blue-gold box it was darn good ammo. I recall whining about paying 32 a brick for it. I bought a case of newer FGMM and it was a waste of good money in the designated rifle, it was cheap by todays prices though, this was 2yrs ago

15-20 yrs back when FGMM was in the white-blue-gold box it was darn good ammo. I recall whining about paying 32 a brick for it. I bought a case of newer FGMM and it was a waste of good money in the designated rifle, it was cheap by todays prices though, this was 2yrs ago
    That is probably this repackaged. I use it for nrl22/rimfire prs

Mike

76c8a39a05db43f193aab9489a14c8a9.jpeg

I've shot a few boxes of FGMM over the past few years. I don't know who made it, where it was made, or anything. I do know that it shot like poop.

• Haha
    Reactions: Milo 2.5
    The Federal match ammo discontinued a year or two ago was manufactured under subcontract by RWS and was made on the R50 product line to FEDERAL SPECS.

Hmmmmmm....Federal specs, eh?

What would that be?

We need ya' to make us some 22lr that's better'n ours.
    Fewer dents, dings, scratches and tighter muzzle velocities with fewer strays.
    Oh, and put it in a box with Federal prominent on the outside.

If you look on the end flap of the box, y'er gonna find R50 in tiny print. :D

qeY25ps48CR0_fOhAACpqgmGsEngDYAvroisWo_AZ8Jc91vYHyF-ehI1NRyR_h99PgVo9IBwbw6tOk2mtR-kwgcvWZBTZKF0IQXwA8AOg8qVxWGzlsuIBDJ22AV-Hruy-Ren7XWMl3ve6mU7T3U3hYvHLWMv0tsElbcRREZ8Zm9HlEfT6QL682PCF1hZ2b2XIXI9T9abEwQhvsehmhd8iP1mE4rT9Xz6mePrXyu8QIdLY4TCBhxij2TRKc2YxYXQt-RLSsLuMz8mIm7YxwmKMIeH59BiZNYDjT9MIDpiVOKQV63_QaJF3UVSwlUt5vLlTN7HErLzPFjsRrVv7UDgKudHPH5Usqmt61DR4xE34HC8J8XwCNhokN8VYhSpjk8mbSShFdfklJ9W7nt4HM7lJNYHgkg8uK6rkeDKn-sw8hbgrAVxZ-FrFjLwaANm14ihbFuw2vd-JwGpO8XpjKLjcB97-NKrTB9uZderyyYW_2mJEs1caDbYOKD-3mNpLpv-inONODFBTjfB_wjFKBLaAw03s3odqC24Wt5XKOqer-BimkrBw9FUuz6d6bOBiA2OBAbEmebrFhH_zeaadXX3WGGVrtc-DhPGO8XknjYs-kmYWW6-FXQaJF_98IF5egnoM92AD50ZvY45qj_RFRVdSs91yEuIVg1ERZ505Tc6lLlJQEFG2bGkMbaTSnmA9O2bfvSaAmCTzxpCDaSKmr1wF-Aa=w332-h569-no

Reactions: beretta_man11
    Hmm - wonder how many different iterations of UM22 were imported? The only thing printed on the end flaps of the boxes I got from Midway was the standard warning about "Dangerous within 1-1/2 miles" - on both ends of the box. The only reference I found to being made in Germany was on the side of the box with the bar code, where it said "Made in Germany, Imported in the USA by Federal Cartridge Co"

R50 shot horrible in my rifle but any lot of UM22 shot great. I wish we could still get it as it was priced right and shot great. I think I might have a box left. I will have to look in the flap when I get home.

R50 shot horrible in my rifle but any lot of UM22 shot great. I wish we could still get it as it was priced right and shot great. I think I might have a box left. I will have to look in the flap when I get home.
    same here R50 didnt shoot well in my vudoo well at all

Reactions: Rob01
    R50 didnt shoot well in my vudoo at all

Now the question I like to ask is....

Do you actually think it was due to rifle preference,
    or was it the quality of the cartridges you were sold?

If you think all cartridges are identical as they come off the assembly line,
    then sure, it was rifle preference. But if it was a box of cartridges
    that slipped past the statistical sampling done during quality control testing
    then you ended up on the losing side of the assembly line lottery.

So is it brand preference, or just a box of substandard ammo you tried? ;)

Reactions: Fuckmikebush
    R50 didnt shoot well in my vudoo at all

Now the question I like to ask is....

Do you actually think it was due to rifle preference,
    or was it the quality of the cartridges you were sold?

If you think all cartridges are identical as they come off the assembly line,
    then sure, it was rifle preference. But if it was a box of cartridges
    that slipped past the statistical sampling done during quality control testing
    then you ended up on the losing side of the assembly line lottery.

So is it brand preference, or just a box of substandard ammo you tried? ;)
    truthfully i didnt put that much time into it, its 22lr ammo

i bought SK, RWS Laupa, wolf

prob 2 lot of each some maybe more

i was just buying what was out there over a few weeks so i could shoot the accurate stuff and let the kids play with the lesser

wolf extra match shot insanely well, at 100 for 6 of the 10 would actually touch then 1-2 would always drop off, i have a video around here somewhere

RWS just didnt shoot well at all

SK is second best

center -x is most consistent from in my rifle

weather it was a friday box, bad QA, my rifle, me etc

center-x has been my choice

its 22lr...not worth the testing and sweating, if i want to shoot one hole im not using rimfire anyway