• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Eagle 7.62x51 168gr OTM

Metalhead0483

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2008
Brunswick, GA
Last week I was in our local gun shop looking around and I saw that they had just got in a couple cases of that AE 7.62x51 OTM. I'm in a bit of an ammo bind at the moment since I'm still waiting on my order from that Hornady group buy, and the American Eagle was a pretty good price ($20 a box, which is a screaming deal for up here if it shoots even halfway decently) so I grabbed a couple of boxes just to see what it'd do.

Yesterday afternoon I went out to my range behind my house with my RW Snyder-built 22" .308 with a box of the American Eagle. It was a beautiful day, with not a cloud in the sky and a nice breeze to keep the mosquitoes at bay. At the moment I've only got the range set up for 100 yards, so I shot the box in four, five-shot groups at 100. I thought the results were pretty good. It's not FGMM, and it's not my own loads, but I still managed some fairly decent groups with it.

target.jpg

The group on the left was me getting impatient and rushing my first shots, so I can't honestly blame the ammo for it.
blush.gif

I'm hoping to get my longer range targets set up here within the next week or two, so hopefully I'll be able to give it a bit more of a workout. But based on that one box at 100 yards (I know, not the most conclusive test, but what the hell) I'm cautiously optomistic. It's certainly better that the Privi stuff I've tried in the past at a simular price point...

Re: American Eagle 7.62x51 168gr OTM

Thanks for that, but the weapon is capable of better. Robert builds a scary accurate rifle
smile.gif

Usually not bad for the price.

I do know of cases where it shot better in the same precision rifle than 168FGMM.

I tried Prvi Match 308, and that came out minute of buttcheek in my Howa. No bueno, got brass out of it and that's about it.

-Travis