• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report american eagle out of a piston gun

Raivkka

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2012
New Hampshire
Hello,
I have some american eagle 149 grain bullets in Lake City brass.
I have been running it through my Ruger SR762 and my groups are all over the place, like 4 inch groups or more.
When I run other lower priced ammo (pmc) my groups are less than half the size, usually 1/3.

Saw on youtube a guy that tested an LWRC piston gun with the same ammo (american eagle) and his groups were terrible where other ammo through the same gun grouped very well.

Can anyone confirm or counter that american eagle ammo in piston guns is just not a good match.

thx

I don't think it has anything to do with the piston, why would it?

I have a piston 308 and experience is the same, AE is shitty. PMC shoots about 2-2.5 MOA, just cheap ammo. If you want to try something else try AE's M1A load 168 grain OTM. It's about 1.25 MOA for me. Hornady is sub-MOA in both 168 and 155 Amax loads.

In my Sig 716 the cheap ammo I shoot is CBC M-80 ball average group 2.25 to 2.50 some a little better. When I switch to the Federal GGM 175 SMK the groups are 1.0 or just under. The Sig has a 1-10 twist. It shoots out to 800 yards very well.

Agreed. AE is truly "bulk" ammo good for maybe "bump" firing. Not even considered for comps. or matches.