• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Co, New Rings and QD Mounts, M10

karagias

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Washington
www.americanrifle.com
Guys, and gals,

American Rifle is proud to introduce the M10 Series of mounting solutions. We'll be in booth number 3761 at Shot so swing by if you can.

Details on M10 can be found at: American Rifle Co and American Rifle Store.

We started the year with Gen 2 rings which evolved to gen3 and finally to gen4 which are now designated M10. This was done in response to customer feedback, much of it from Hide members so thank you for that.

Aside from their appearance, the difference between M10 and M3 Gen3 is that M10 is 5mm narrower in width and engages a single recoil slot. This change was made to maximize eye relief adjustment. Doing so required a reluctant departure from the tangential screw interface found on our previous designs. I will post a detailed design discussion on the website in the near future but with Shot Show next week, it will have to wait. However, you can trust that these rings will not mar your scope's finish and will not rotate your retical during installation.

Within the M10 Series are two new QD Mounts. These were a couple of years in the making and required a bit of sole searching. This next bit is from the web site...

The both M10 QDs "features two spring-loaded, pivoting rail clamps. Due to the high placement of the pivot and the design's inherently low friction, the pivoting clamps impart the majority of the clamping force upon the rail, not the ring. The resulting efficiency enables tighter clamping than that offered by conventional levers. Moreover, the pivoting rail clamps won't get stuck like levers do and don't need to be adjusted for variations in rail size. They offer real QD functionality enabling the shooter to remove an reattach a scope in seconds. The thumb nuts are captivated on 17-4 stainless steel cross bolts so you won't lose them. Their scalloped and comparatively inconspicuous design offers a secure grip while making them less prone than levers to snagging equipment or brush."

I strongly considered using levers, believe me, I did. But in the end, when a fastening device is needed, a screw thread is essentially impossible to beat. Go figure...

A much easier decision was my refusal to cantilever a ring from a rail interface. I've often wondered why others did this as the scope offers a stiffer load path to the rail than do the existing cantilevered ring designs (section wins) requiring the aft ring and the short little bit of scope tube within to bear the entire load. Not good.

My answer to this is the obvious one. Grab as much of the scope as you can, where you can. Thus, the M10 QD-S is born. Use it to grab your 1-4 or 1-8 scope between the ocular bell and the turrets and place it as far forward as you need to for easy access to the charging handle of your 5.56 AR and for proper eye-relief.

IMG_0217.jpeg

I hope everyone likes what they see.

Thank you.

Re: American Rifle Co, New Rings and QD Mounts, M10

Looks great. I've never had trouble with my ADM cantilevers but I might have to try these. Any idea when they'll hit production lines?

Man I wish you had a set of the mediums rings in 35mm right now, I would be all over them for my new Surgeon. I tried to order a gen2 and gen3 set this week but everyone was out of them and I am actually glad now that I see these. Now if I can just come up with a cheap set of 35mm rings till these are available...

EDIT: Just put the order in for them, now to start the 4 week wait.

All sizes of 34 and 35mm rings are available now. 1", 30mm, and QDs in about 4 weeks. Should have made that clear earlier.

That's great! I placed a order for the medium 35mm just a little bit ago, cant wait to see these in person.

It probably comes with the rings but could you post up the screw torque specs for the new ring?

Both screws are metric M5 x 0.8, similar in size to standard 10-32 but not interchangeable with them.

Scope clamp screw is 18-8 stainless with black-oxide coating. Apply 20 to 25 in-lbs to it.

Rail clamp screw is custom made from 410 stainless with fanged head. Only the end of the screw is threaded so threads don't impinge on the walls of the recoil slot. Apply 60 - 65 in-lbs to it.

If you loose either screw, you can use standard socket head cap screws (usually available locally at home centers such as Lowe's or a good hardware store) until I send replacements to you. Use an M5 x 0.8 x 18mm long for the scope clamp and an M5 x 0.8 x 35mm long for the rail clamp.

I have had 2 sets of the ARC rings and loved them.

Looks like another nice design Ted.

Here are some more pics. Sorry they are not better quality but they'll have to do for now. I'll post higher quality images as they become available.

img_0219_1298_detail.jpg

img_0226_1679_detail.jpg

url]

img_0221_1935_detail.jpg

img_0223_2300_detail.jpg

m10rings_530_detail.jpg

m10qd-s_1055_detail.jpg

Ted, great product. I like the QD-S, makes complete sense and I look forward to seeing it in person next week at the shotshow and having a chance to meet you.

I need a 40MOA 30mm M10 QD-L, STAT to run my 2.5-10 PST on my AR and Shotgun.
smile.gif

Love the new design! Very well thought out and developed!

Looks great! Any chance you'll make a QD-L in a slightly lower height than 1.5"?

My new 35MM medium M10 ARC rings arrived in the mail today and I must say they are NICE. Very well machined with radius edges everywhere and a very nice finish on them. The 4 bolts TOTAL design makes them very easy and quick to install makes them very low profile, the vortex level in the pics stick out a lot further then the rings do.

Well without further wait, here are the pics.

Rings installed on the rail and ready to accept the scope.
IMG_3021.jpg

They way they open make them very nice, no more trying to hold two halves together and get screws started.
IMG_3024.jpg

Scope installed and torqued up.
IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

I must say they look very nice.
IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3029.jpg

I probably could have gotten away with low rings but it would have been very close so I just went with the mediums. I have no doubt they will work just fine.
smile.gif

Look good BigJohn! I'm considering getting a set of these to compare against my Seekins rings.

Also, as a suggestion, you might consider moving your level ahead of the turrets. With the level peeking over the parallax knob, I find it is much easier to be behind the scope and quickly peek to check your cant.

The rings looked good in person at the SHOT booth. I have some of the earlier generation models and these look to be equally well made and durable.

Jeffvn

I received mine yesterday. They are a fine design. With only one screw for the rail and one to lock the scope per ring they make for fast and very easy mounting.

They are thinner than the previous strap over design M3 but I'm sure they afford the same level of grip.

Looking forward to putting them atop my Big Horn action 6.5 Creedmoor.

Wow, awesome! I just bought the gen3 rings and you already have another update! Haha, I can't keep up! It is amazing how quickly you can add more innovative design to an already a breakthrough design.

mattmcg, I spoke with Ted at the Shotshow and he can offer the QD-L in different heights. The current uni mounts are 1.5 high to allow you to have a BUIS mounted to the rail. The QD-S is a slick little mount and allows you mount the optic farther forward on a flattop receiver so you have clearance for your charging handle and BUIS.

flounderv2, Ted has made some QD mounts with a 40 MOA base, its not a problem. Send him an email and he will get it done.

Guys,

I want to thank all of the Hide members who found the time to swing by the booth at shot show. I'd also like to thank the contributors to this thread for their kind works. They mean a lot to me.

I need to clarify something regarding the use of the new M10 rings. The scope clamp of an M3 Gen 3 ring used two M4 x 0.7 socket head cap screws torqued to a recommended 25 in-lbs. The M10 ring uses a single M5 x 0.8 socket head cap screw. In order to achieve the same clamping force as that of the M3 Gen 3 ring, the single M5 x 0.8 screw of the M10 ring must be torqued to 62.5 in-lbs. 65 in-lbs is also OK.

The reason for this is that for a given applied torque, a small screw will generate a higher for than a large screw. Ultimately, the large screw will be able to apply higher forces simply because it is bigger and stronger but higher toques will be required to do so. The following equation is useful in determining the force induced by a given screw:

F = T / (0.2 x d)

where F is the force imparted by the screw, T is the applied torque, and d is the major diameter of the screw. Be consistent with your units. If you specify T in in-lbs, you must also specify d in inches to get F in pounds.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So, the M10 torque spec is 65 in-lbs for all screws</span>.

Not sure if it is helpful to SH users, but our company has a Torque Conversion Calculator online at the following link:

http://www.mountztorque.com/service-support/torque-converter-calculator

This allows you to put in a torque value and convert it to another equivalent torque value. Especially helpful if you want to convert inch pounds to foot pounds or visa versa or convert a value in one measurement system to a value in another measurement system. Play around with it and give us some feedback. We are happy to make changes if there is a better way to present the data.

Hope it helps!

Ted,

Just a note to say I have a pair of your earlier generation 35mm rings on my .308 semi-auto. Good stuff with no problems so far.

See you again,

Buddhapapa

Ted,

I havent sent you an email yet, but I wanted to chime in here. I recieved my rings tonight, and man are they slick!!! I will get some pics thrown up here after this weekend when I get a chance to get out and shoot.

My initial impressions are....that these have got to be the nicest, easiest to install rings I have ever got my hands on. The weight is also extremely low. Just speaking by looks, these have got to be the best rings available.

Matt

I have a Remington 700action with badger 20 mia base and a bartlein #14 contour barrel and am planning on putting a 5-20x50 ss scope on it could I get by with the X-low or will I need to go with the lows?

Spuhr, GDI, and now ARC...I'm on overload!

Seriously, they look great. Love the footprint, heck it took more than a few glances to decipher the mounts from the rings.