• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company Barloc

karagias

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Washington
www.americanrifle.com
I uploaded a video to demonstrate American Rifle Company's BarLok, a little gizmo that enables one to preload (tightened) a large barrel thread using only a small hex key. The video was shot late last night and has not been edited.

https://youtu.be/w3KAtXPeLgU

I will release more details as I have them but suffice it to say that two versions are being considered.

One version will be designed as a barrel nut replacement, so that if you are currently running a Savage style locknut, you can replace it with the Barlok.

A second version will be more compact than the one I just described. Making it compact requires that a circumferential groove be cut into the thread of the barrel. This version can also engage a specially designed Pic rail for the Mausingfield which will make clocking the Barloc a simple matter.

That's it for now. We'll have the Barloc at Shot Show, Booth 20459. https://n2a.goexposoftware.com/…/floorPlan/viewFloorPlan.php
Hope to see you there.

The Barloc will be available for purchase soon so stay tuned...

Ted

[IMG2=JSON]{"alt":"No automatic alt text available.","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/23509155_1005190169623638_4699642948191026256_o.png?oh=a67ad689047fc690463f9bf4770d2e50&oe=5AA76293"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t31.0-8\/23334333_1005190556290266_109462101294747358_o.png?oh=822884013271f72abb78e0ef510ca107&oe=5A9978F8"}[/IMG2]

Ted- I just watched the video, and this thing looks great! I'm really digging the V2 version as shown above, but can certainly see the appeal of the V1 version as well, for those who want to be able to use off-the-shelf pre-fit barrels (that wouldn't have the groove in the breech threads).

One question, though... would it be possible to, rather than run a barrel nut, simply have a "regular" shouldered barrel with different thicknesses of the toroid-shaped washers to set the head space (similar to clocking a muzzle brake with shims)? Or perhaps even cutting the barrel shoulder in the proper toroid shape? Also, is there a spec for how much the headspace changes based upon the torque applied to the cross/locking bolt?

Interesting.....
After watching the video and seeing the pieces, I am really interested. Make barrel swaps even easier. Now I will have to get a Mag bolt for mine too! Ill take a V2

There wont be any change in headspace as a function of torque once the slack is taken out of the system, the slack should be taken out of the system as soon as the slack is taken out of the cross screw.

I would like Ted's input, but I think keeping the 90deg shoulder on the barrel, for the shouldered barrel people would be best and use the conical washer there rather than tapering the barrel would be a better system. I would think the conical washers are going to be a much harder material than the barrels.

Last edited:
There wont be any change in headspace as a function of torque once the slack is taken out of the system, the slack should be taken out of the system as soon as the slack is taken out of the cross screw.

I'm not sure that I understand how this could be true; as the cross screw is tightened, is it not effectively shoving a wedge between the front face of the action and what is essentially the barrel shoulder? I'm not arguing, just trying to understand... and I freely admit that i have plenty to learn.

I think Missed called it correctly. You guys are asking great questions.

The Barloc device is essentially a circumferential wedge driven by a screw. Line contact exists between the toroidal surfaces of the spreader (the part with the drive screw) and the conical surfaces of the washer and barrel nut. That is a geometric necessity of the design but the minor radius of the torus can be maximized in order to maintain acceptable levels of stress. That said, the stress levels will still be high enough to necessitate the use hardened steel, and as Missed correctly pointed out, the steel from which the barrel is made may likely be too soft.

One can substitute a second washer for the barrel nut, placing the flat side of the washer against the 90 degree shoulder of a barrel which would certainly make establishing head space a bit more tricky but nevertheless keep it well within the capabilities of a good gunsmith or machinist. However, I must say that I prefer the use of the barrel nut in this case because it offer more flexibility. Moreover, does it really matter of the third piece of the puzzle is a washer rather than a barrel nut? Both piece will be extremely durable. I'd go for the flexibility.

In regards to Burnout's concern about changing head space when tightening the Barloc, I doubt that will be a problem, and again, Missed responded correctly. When hand tightening the nut, the slack will be taken out of the system, meaning that the gaps between the mating parts will be closed. Now because the barrel and receiver threads are large and made from steel, the joint joint between the two is very stiff, but it is still elastic, which incidentally is why preload is important and why I designed the Barloc as I did. So when tightening the Barloc, all of the components in the system will undergo some elastic deformation which will increase head space a little bit. By how much? I don't know yet but I doubt it would be more than 0.002 or 0.003 inches. I think an effective assembly method would consist of assembling the receiver, barrel, and Barloc over a GO gage, essentially a GO +zero condition, and the tightening the Barloc screw thereby establishing a GO +0.002 or 0.003 condition.

Thanks for the questions and the interest guys.

Ted

Reactions: richthe1
So on the nucleus it keys with the rail. But how does this interface with the rail on the mausingfield? Does it work with non extended and extended or does it require some other keyed rail like the nucleus? I preordered the nucleus with it through pva but am considering adding it to my mausingfields.