• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company Criterion barrels

Gunmack

Private
Minuteman
  • Oct 25, 2020
    Southern California
    I did some searching around but couldn’t find any conversations about the Criterion barrels that American Rifle Company offers on their website. If you own one, are you happy with how they shoot? What about the contour? Any general thoughts would be appreciated.

I e got a couple and they are shooters. I don’t have more than 300-400 rounds down either but so far so good. Criterion has a good reputation, what else is there to know?

Reactions: Forrest
    Up until recently I’ve only ever bought Tikka rifles, torn them down, and then rebuilt them on KRG chassis systems with PVA barrels. The PVA barrels have always performed exceptionally well. I decided to do a build with an Archimedes action and bought one of ARC’s Criterion barrels to go with it mostly because they had them in stock and I’m a bit impatient. I’ll start breaking in the barrel this weekend so I will know soon enough. Thanks.

Reactions: Hkmiller
    Built a 22” 6.5 gasser with a Criterion. Shoots pretty good.
    0C812438-9F1E-45B2-B40E-0E3074DBB743.jpeg

Reactions: Gunmack
    Got the full archimedes build. Arrived around March. So far about 400 rds down the pipe. Mainly load development. Think got it nailed down now. just screw ups on my part. It is definately a shooter. If ever get time off gone try to do full review. Sure most would think what a dumbass.

Got the full archimedes build. Arrived around March. So far about 400 rds down the pipe. Mainly load development. Think got it nailed down now. just screw ups on my part. It is definately a shooter. If ever get time off gone try to do full review. Sure most would think what a dumbass.
    Which chambering did you go with? What load did you settle on?

I bought the nucleus with the 6.5 criterion for my wife's rifle last black Friday sale. Barrel contour is a marksman medium palma.Put it in an used magpul hunter stock. I like how it handles. Shoots good. Worked up a few loads, but spend more time with my nucleus 6.5 with a brux barrel.

Reactions: Gunmack
    Speaking of Criterion, I've been watching their site for like 2 years for a replacement barrel for a no4 mk2. Never have them.

• Wow
    Reactions: FredHammer
    I have one in 6.5cm. Like other I don't have a ton of rounds through is its my kids primary range gun. But it was easy to find a decent load for and I have zero complaints.

Which chambering did you go with? What load did you settle on?
    6.5 creed. Think it's standard Sammi. Using the Hornady 130 gr eld with staball. Shoots better than I can. Getting crazy fast velocities though like 3000fps with 44 gr powder. Like said will try to do separate post if make it home. Probably have to go in the reloading section so look for it there.

6.5 creed. Think it's standard Sammi. Using the Hornady 130 gr eld with staball. Shoots better than I can. Getting crazy fast velocities though like 3000fps with 44 gr powder. Like said will try to do separate post if make it home. Probably have to go in the reloading section so look for it there.
    Whoa!!! That is crazy fast for a 130gn pill. I think I'll hunt for something a little more moderate. Thanks though!

I have one that’s got a touch over 2k down it. Still shoots great. Don’t think anything I’ve ever thrown at it has shot much worse than an inch, and that was some factory stuff when I first got it. Spent 90% of its life, will include the rest of its life up until it’s toast, shooting 140 Eld handloads at 2780

I have a 26" Criterion in 6-BR, 8tw.
    It just shoots everything I've thrown through it very well.
    I'll be buying others.
    I have several criterion barrels. All are shooters. Most sub 1/2 moa. I will buy more.

I've got a 29" heavy palma criterion blank I spun up for my Defiance, Shoots great and and hammers as long as I do my part. I'd say I'm about 700-1k into the barrel, only thing I can say is I just finally hit my "broke in/speed up" portion of the barrel. Same ammo I had loaded from last fall for a match went to check zero and velocity for a match and gained 50fps and was .2 high at 100. No big deal, adjusted it in the kestrel and smacked a javelina target at 1300 with 10mph L-R with 1.6 mils of wind.

Otherwise awesome barrels IMO. I'm looking at carrying blanks in our shop for customers rifle builds.

They’ve always been good shooters for me, from bolt builds to mid grade custom ARs.

The profile is a medium palma-ish and about 4.5lbs. for the 25”.

I’ve got a brand new .308 barrel from them in the PX right now if anyone is looking for a deal. I’m just going a different way and don’t need the extra length and hate to cut 5-7” off a perfectly good barrel.

If ARC sells it, 90% chance it's GTG. I would not expect a Bartlien/Krieger level of ultimate accuracy, but it's $120  more than a teir one blank.
    i hate the phrase "shoots better than me". Are you a shitty shot? Does it shoot in the .0xx on bags? Reminds me of when fancy car makers listed "adequate " under the horsepower.

Reactions: smoothy8500