• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle Company New Archimedes Action, New Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision

karagias

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Washington
www.americanrifle.com
American Rifle Company Archimedes Action, Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision.

American Rifle Company proudly introduces the Archimedes Bolt Action, the Xylo Chassis, and a major upgrade to the Mausingfield.

The Archimedes embodies the most significant advancement in the design of bolt actions since they were first invented in 19th century. It features a novel pivoting bolt handle that gives you the mechanical advantage to extract even the most stubbornly stuck cases. Your ability to extract cartridges without the use of tools is now limited only by the strength of the case rim. And since bolt rotation is no longer necessary for case extraction, the rotary motion is entirely dedicated to cocking, making cycling the bolt as easy as it gets. We have also captured lessons learned from our experience with the both the Mausingfield and Nucleus actions thus leaving the Archimedes with a peer.

Our new Xylo chassis captures the input and suggestions provided to us by some of the top shooters from all over the country. Keith Sanderson deserves special recognition and thanks for his assistance with the design of the chassis. Highlights include rapid length-of-pull adjustment for transitioning between the prone and any other position and a grip that truly works with your hand to get your finger back on the trigger as consistently as possible. The grip is also designed so that you can place your thumb directly behind or even on top of the receiver tang giving your hand that desirable pivot point for cycling the bolt. We designed the chassis to feel like a target stock and not like an AR-15.

Lastly, our beloved Mausingfield has undergone a major upgrade. Enhancements include an extractor-side locking-lug guide rail that cooperates beautifully with its Mauser extractor to effectively resist bolt binding, a redesigned bolt stop that matches those of the Nucleus and the Archimedes for durability, and a redesigned bayonet style bolt shroud enabling you to easily remove the striker assembly without the use of tools. But perhaps best of all is the reduction of bolt rotation from 90 to 83 degrees that increases the clearance between the scope and your thumb when cycling the bolt. Lastly, the ejection port has been enlarged for better top-loading access through a mag well that can now accommodate AI CS mags as well as BDL style bottom metal, and yes, it can handle long Wyatt mag boxes.

Please visit our website to learn more about our new products and if you’re in Vegas for the Shot Show, come visit us at booth number 20459.

American Rifle Company

The pics below are renderings. The real thing will be at Shot Show, booth 20459. I'll try and make a video or two before then.

Finally, we could not have done any of this without the support our beloved customers. Your business means the world to us and it’s what makes the development of new products possible. Thanks to all of you who have supported us over the years. 2019 will be the year that American Rifle Company commits itself to improving the customer experience and to reducing the wait times of products. So, on behalf of everyone at American Rifle Company, thanks again for your business and for enabling us to do what we love to do, make guns.

Sincerely,

Ted

M3 Logo 2.jpg
M3 Logo 9.jpg
M12HeightForHomePage.jpg
m12-7.jpg

The Archimedes will be interesting. I may be interested in the Xylo in the future. I'll be watching with interest!

The chassis doesnt really interest me but the action certainly does..... Just take my money. Whats the over/under on a lefty by June?

Reactions: hseII
I guess I am a true believer in your innovation and designs, just put a deposit down on the Archimedes action.

Reactions: Nvcnvc
Has the Mausingfield never had an integral recoil lug or is the current recoil lug a revision?

Just got my Archimedes ordered. Ted's innovation keeps costing me money. This will be my 7th ARC action.

I have never seen a MF that didn't have an integral recoil lug. It would appear the revision changes over to a lug like the Nucleus.

As far as "a bunch of slop" in the pivoting bolt handle, I'm going to guess you've never met Ted. I'm not sure how it will feel, but sloppy is probably not a term that will be used to describe it by anyone!

Reactions: LRJammer and ZG47A
The Archimedes is a REALLY interesting take on minimizing bolt lift effort, and I'm very interested! A couple of questions:
  1. Judging by one of the headings on the website, it looks like Nucleus and Archimedes bolt heads are interchangeable. Is that correct?
  2. It looks like the recoil lug on the Archimedes is very similar to the one on the Nucleus; are there any plans to do a version of the recoil lug that integrates the Barloc "wedge" like you did with the Nucleus? Or are the Archimedes and Nucleus lugs literally the same, and if so, will you be offering an Archimedes/Barloc combo like you did with the Nucleus?

Reactions: slkzic
Improvements
  • $1600
  • Pin-less interchangeable scope rail secured by five conical-head, Torx-drive screws.
  • Pin-less recoil lug is clocked by the scope rail.

This sounds like same price for less features. It cheapens the Mausingfield IMO.

Inclined to agree with you unless the two points above were not supposed to be pasted into the improvements list of the Mausingfield on the website. Ted didn't mention those in his post.

Some of the Mausingfield magazine & ejection port updates sound a bit similar to was called out as changed by LRI on for the Mausingfield Hunter version.

Is the Xylo able to accept LH and RH actions? If so, jumping on the pre-order train.

Edit: I can't read, it is.

This is the nicest chassis design I have seen!
If I had to imagine a skeleton inside a conventional stock this would be it(sounds weird,I know)..Ergos look great.
My only concern would be vibration through the grip area,I think the timber will help this a bit.

Being curious if there's going to be slop or play in a revolutionary new bolt design is a perfectly fair question I'd say. Regardless, my preorder is in. I'm not saying the bolt is going to flop around like a horse cock, there is a bolt handle cutout in the stock its going to be sitting in that won't allow that. Plus I'm sure theres springs and Flux capacitors in there to prevent excessive "flopping". Really hoping Arc puts a video up during shot show

It is a fair question. The striker spring is used to bias the handle in the forward position. If you pull the handle back and let go of it, it springs forward. So no slop.

I'll try and provide more info soon, like tomorrow, but I'm still busy preparing for shot. Nevertheless, I have attached a picture below of what you can do to a case after it has been hammered, with and actual hammer, into a chamber that it wasn't designed for. This was done by first hammering a swollen 6.5 CM case into a 6x47 chamber and then screwing the barrel into the Archimedes action until the case head contacted the bolt face. Pulling really hard on the bolt handle resulted in a broken rim. I then rotated the barrel by 180 degrees and pushed the bolt forward to take another bite. I pulled really hard again and, voila, another piece of rim breaks off.

The wonderful thing about this concept is that the force you exert on the bolt handle is reacted by your shoulder. You can use a good bolt handle to pull the rifle into your shoulder really really hard and, on the other end, this force can only be reacted by the stuck case, which will either pop out of the chamber or fail structurally, i.e. the rim breaks off. The limit is now the case and not you.

The rotary cam extraction of the now "conventional" actions works only if the case isn't stuck in the chamber too badly. Beyond that and a hammer of some sort is required.

In my opinion, the Archimedes completes the bolt action, at least conceptually. If it's not a game changer in the bolt action world, then nothing is.

Ted
IMG_20190119_204853.jpg
IMG_20190119_204845.jpg

Very exciting news.
Been wanting to build a Mausingfield for several months.

I decided to hold back on Mausingfield deliveries because the upgrade was pending. You'll be receiving your action really soon and I think you'll be happy with it. That said, you're certainly free to apply any deposit that you may have paid us to any of our three actions. We aim to please, and as I indicated in earlier in this thread, 2019 will be about delivery and improving customer service. I appreciate your business and I thank you for it.

Ted

Some great thoughts and engineering. Somehow, I found myself more and more stick to traditional, classic, proven old fashion actions...like Impact....

I'll need to see one of these Arch actions in action. Happy to pay couple hundreds more if needed.

American Rifle Company Archimedes Action, Xylo Chassis, and major Mausingfield revision.

American Rifle Company proudly introduces the Archimedes Bolt Action, the Xylo Chassis, and a major upgrade to the Mausingfield.

The Archimedes embodies the most significant advancement in the design of bolt actions since they were first invented in 19th century. It features a novel pivoting bolt handle that gives you the mechanical advantage to extract even the most stubbornly stuck cases. Your ability to extract cartridges without the use of tools is now limited only by the strength of the case rim. And since bolt rotation is no longer necessary for case extraction, the rotary motion is entirely dedicated to cocking, making cycling the bolt as easy as it gets. We have also captured lessons learned from our experience with the both the Mausingfield and Nucleus actions thus leaving the Archimedes with a peer.

Our new Xylo chassis captures the input and suggestions provided to us by some of the top shooters from all over the country. Keith Sanderson deserves special recognition and thanks for his assistance with the design of the chassis. Highlights include rapid length-of-pull adjustment for transitioning between the prone and any other position and a grip that truly works with your hand to get your finger back on the trigger as consistently as possible. The grip is also designed so that you can place your thumb directly behind or even on top of the receiver tang giving your hand that desirable pivot point for cycling the bolt. We designed the chassis to feel like a target stock and not like an AR-15.

Lastly, our beloved Mausingfield has undergone a major upgrade. Enhancements include an extractor-side locking-lug guide rail that cooperates beautifully with its Mauser extractor to effectively resist bolt binding, a redesigned bolt stop that matches those of the Nucleus and the Archimedes for durability, and a redesigned bayonet style bolt shroud enabling you to easily remove the striker assembly without the use of tools. But perhaps best of all is the reduction of bolt rotation from 90 to 83 degrees that increases the clearance between the scope and your thumb when cycling the bolt. Lastly, the ejection port has been enlarged for better top-loading access through a mag well that can now accommodate AI CS mags as well as BDL style bottom metal, and yes, it can handle long Wyatt mag boxes.

Please visit our website to learn more about our new products and if you’re in Vegas for the Shot Show, come visit us at booth number 20459.

American Rifle Company

The pics below are renderings. The real thing will be at Shot Show, booth 20459. I'll try and make a video or two before then.

Finally, we could not have done any of this without the support our beloved customers. Your business means the world to us and it’s what makes the development of new products possible. Thanks to all of you who have supported us over the years. 2019 will be the year that American Rifle Company commits itself to improving the customer experience and to reducing the wait times of products. So, on behalf of everyone at American Rifle Company, thanks again for your business and for enabling us to do what we love to do, make guns.

Sincerely,

Ted

View attachment 7007105View attachment 7007106View attachment 7007107View attachment 7007108
Apologies if I missed this amongst the other replies; what is the sequence of events with the new Archimedes?

Is this correct:
  1. Fired round
  2. Bolt lift up (no rocking rearward lever yet) to cock firing spring.
  3. Beginning to pull bolt pulled rearward and the fulcrum/lever of bolt completes primary extraction (bolt body moves because of lever at this stage, not rearward pull like on traditional action )
  4. As bolt body moves backward, bolt handle will return to "normal" angle relative to bolt body.
  5. Bolt body slides rearward and case ejects normally
  6. At stop, pushing forward, normal bolt action feel and solidly engage/chamber next round.
  7. Repeat...

It seems like an awesome innovation (IMO) and really looking forward to seeing your video.

But after having stuck cases and general hard extractions, this seems like it could also mask some of the common signs of getting towards higher pressure loads. Can you "feel" the difference between a normal case vs a slightly sticky vs very sticky case on upward travel? What about feel between various levels of stickiness on primary extraction?

Based on the pictures, it seems like you could apply a ridiculous amount of leverage into the case, which would make a sticky case seem really easy to extract masking some symptoms of high pressure rounds, undersizing, etc.

I could really see this being helpful in more often than not (winter shooting or rain when it's easier to get a stuck case that normally would not).

Great work and looks really interesting!

I decided to hold back on Mausingfield deliveries because the upgrade was pending. You'll be receiving your action really soon and I think you'll be happy with it. That said, you're certainly free to apply any deposit that you may have paid us to any of our three actions. We aim to please, and as I indicated in earlier in this thread, 2019 will be about delivery and improving customer service. I appreciate your business and I thank you for it.

Ted

This is called customer service, most companies dump their inventory without telling you then bam your new thing is suddenly worth a lot less a few weeks later. I have a couple mausingfields, love them both.

Any pictures/renderings of the new Mausingfield? What was the decision/thought behind the change from the integral to a clocked recoil lug on the Mausingfield? Sounds like the Mausingfield Hunter that LRI has a few of, big fan.

Nice to hear of the new compatibility with BDL/Wyatt flootplates and a tooless bayonet bolt.

Ted are you still in Mukilteo? Are you opposed to me coming down and putting hands on the action before ordering? I've been to your shop before and chatted for a few hours before. Please PM me if we can make this happen following SHOT SHOW. Thanks.

Well @karagias you got me again, last year I picked up a Nucleus, this year an Archimedes, going to be building a 300 PRC with it!

Does the Archimedes have a bayonet style bolt shroud like the upgraded Mausingfield or does it thread in as the Nucleus does?

Ted

Thanks Ted,

That being said is it then ok for us to assume delivery of these will definitely begin in May? Hoping not to see a repeat of the Nucleus time wait I experienced. Preordered today happening.

Last edited:
@karagias how will the Archimedes feel during lift and close compared to the nucleus?

Improvements
  • $1600
  • Pin-less interchangeable scope rail secured by five conical-head, Torx-drive screws.
  • Pin-less recoil lug is clocked by the scope rail.

This sounds like same price for less features. It cheapens the Mausingfield IMO.

It’s not the same price!

Has anyone read anything about whether the headspace will be the same as the nuke? As in will the prefit shouldered barrels be interchangeable (I know they’re both savage small shank compatible). If so, I’ll preorder today.

Thanks Ted,

That being said is it then ok for us to assume delivery of these will definitely begin in May? Hoping not to see a repeat of the Nucleus time wait I experienced. Preordered today happening.
It's NEVER safe to assume any new product in this industry will ship until it ships. Too many factors beyond the control of the MFG. Having said that, it sounds like ARC invested in more tooling/machinery during the Nuke manufacturing to bring in more options in house, but they still rely on outside material manufacturers, tooling, coating, etc.

Has anyone read anything about whether the headspace will be the same as the nuke? As in will the prefit shouldered barrels be interchangeable (I know they’re both savage small shank compatible). If so, I’ll preorder today.
It was released on a Saturday, and Josh is at SHOT, so going to be hard to get that info right now.

Reactions: wesc
The minute I saw this thread my wallet started screaming in the other room, it knows whats coming...

I am now eagerly awaiting video, more comments, and whatever feedback comes from SHOT.

---Edit----
I do have a question though; with ARC now selling three action types, what differentiates them? Is it purely cost, or is it each one is intended for certain uses?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm hoping the archimedes is different from the nucleus in the way that the bolt on the nucleus has to be pushed forward while closing. The nucleus bolt also wiggles like crazy when it's racked from the rear. My next action will be impact or archimedes depending how light this lift is.

If they state may delivery, plan on October. I don't mean any insult towards arc by that either. Like winny said, there are factors outside of the manufacturers control that can cause delays. I'm sure if everything went perfect, may would happen but look at damn near anything firearms related.. Theres always a delay. Place a preorder, treat it like a suppressor and wait until you hear back. Leave arc alone so they can do work and not answer repetitive phone calls.
And what would be helpful is if an ARC rep could give a monthly update on the first of every month. That way we can all expect a status update at the same time, it'd cut down on calls, stop the rumor mill, give a barometer on delievry date and appease the impatient ones. Probably a pipe dream, but it'd be nice.