• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk American rifle magazines

Northfl

Keepin the lights on
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2018
Jax fl
I am in the process of building a new dasher and looking for some arc magazines. Cant find them anywhere. Any leads on where i may be able to find a couple of them?
I have accurate mags but without the binder plate and mdt mags may or may not work on a 3 lug action.
Thanks for any information on where some may be located

Have you considered an actual aics mag with a primal rights conversion? Mines never had a hiccup with my dasher (though not a three lug).

Last rumors I’ve heard have been that no one knows why arc mags haven’t been getting sold, some speculate it’s a redesign to match the new cdg, others just think it’s operational priorities and putting actions before mags

I have considered all different mags. i was wanting the arc mags due to being shorter. I have other mags that work great with the 3 lug but they dont have the binder plate in them. Either way i will need new mags and kits.

Arc mags have their own issues. I have ran them for 2 years in matches and had significant mag failures that cost me about 20 points at my last match. They have to be babied and clean. Only reason I run them is for smaller footprint. Accurate mags run much better imo with less chance of failure, but with a plus 2 are like twice as long.

I am gonna try some of the mdt mags at the smith when bareel is done. If they dont work i will probably just go with the accurate mags i have been running just get a couple with binder plate and kits

I'll echo @DeathBeforeDismount in that the arc mags need to be clean or you're going to have problems. I run a mix of arc mags and accurate and aics brand mags through both 2 and 3 lug actions. At matches I'll primarily use the full size mags but if there is a stage that I feel like I would benefit from less mag length I'll use the arcs. I keep them in my bag so they can't get dust and dirty during the day. I clean them before every match to make sure they have no issues at the match, I don't have to do that with the shavers mags.
Also a a side note I do run 2 arc mags for my 6.5 saum hunting rifle, one of which has an area 419 mag extension and it works great

The MDT mags work great for the BR variants in my experience. As do AICS mags with the Primal Rights conversion, just a bit longer.

ARC mags are funny. I really like the idea of them, in theory they are great, but have some nuances in reality that don't always make them practical. Great short footprint, but not always reliable.

I have a theory that the geometry where the double stack feeds into single stack is where the issues develop. Friction is a huge benevolent acting force here that makes this geometry unreliable. Any additional source of friction, such as dirt or dust, will make cartridges hangup in that junction. Larger and heavier cartridges like .308 won't even work with the clean mags (in mine anyways). Too much friction to overcome in that junction, even when squeeky clean. 6.5 Creedmoor works okay - until it doesn't. BR variants actually work surprisingly good from these mags, there's little friction with those short cartridges. But I don't trust it enough (yet) in adverse conditions like competitions.

For comps, I use MDT. I prefer the footprint of them over an AICS with a +2. I use my ARC mags for the range and for hunting, just don't trust them enough for competition use.

Reactions: DIBBS
I am in the process of building a new dasher and looking for some arc magazines. Cant find them anywhere. Any leads on where i may be able to find a couple of them?
I have accurate mags but without the binder plate and mdt mags may or may not work on a 3 lug action.
Thanks for any information on where some may be located
I think first choice is AW mags. At least for me. Is your action cut for AW? I have a couple ARC mags and they’re really good for training failure to feed. That’s about it. 1 has the oem follower that I filed the wings off of in an attempt to help. Didn’t work. Even before I did that, they were so sensitive to any small amount of dust or dirt it was crazy. The other one has the mkmachining kit and that didn’t help either. I only run AW myself these days because of the short profile.

That said I’d just keep an eye on the PX because I’d imagine ARC is pretty busy getting the new CDG actions out.

Thanks for all of the input. I wound up getting some accurate mags. So far so good with feeding.

I bought 3 ARC magazines on the pre buy before they first came out back a few years....

I Never did get them to work consistently even with the LRI followers.

IMHO you shouldn't have to change parts on a new magazine on hopes of getting it to function and feed correctly.

Reactions: kthomas
Im always looking for ARC mags b.c frankly they are superior in every single way. from my dasher to CM and many other cals. never once was an issue.