• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifleman gets it wrong again...

What stands out most to me was how "agenda-driven reporting" drove national policy. How little has changed.

Just quickly glancing through the article I didn't see any mention of Maxim machine guns...saw Gatlin's mentioned, but not Maxim's. Maybe I've got my history mixed up, but I thought they were used by the Spanish...

Last edited:
I did not think that there were Maxim's at Cuba. But I could be wrong. The book "The Gatlings at Santiago" gives a great accounting of the Gatling guns. Though I did not think they had converted them to .30 Army (Krag). I thought they were still .45/70. But the picture is of Gatlings in the Philippines, where it is possible that small cal. Gatlings were used. Gatlings were still being used in training units... in1914. They did not go away until WW1.

The gun that most seems to be missing is the Single Action Army. The Roughriders took a delivery of some 500 guns before shipping out. I 'think' they may have been ordered through Abercrombie and Fitch. Guns from that lot still show up occasionally and when Colt Issues you a letter... they charge a crapload of extra money because their letter verifies your gun as being worth... a fortune.

Other than that... what's missing? Were some of the early Mausers in use by the Spanish? Smokeless powder and all?

I have not opened my paper copy yet. I'll read in more detail in the 'Eljer library.'

Cheers,

Sirhr

I did not think that there were Maxim's at Cuba. But I could be wrong. The book "The Gatlings at Santiago" gives a great accounting of the Gatling guns. Though I did not think they had converted them to .30 Army (Krag). I thought they were still .45/70. But the picture is of Gatlings in the Philippines, where it is possible that small cal. Gatlings were used. Gatlings were still being used in training units... in1914. They did not go away until WW1.

The gun that most seems to be missing is the Single Action Army. The Roughriders took a delivery of some 500 guns before shipping out. I 'think' they may have been ordered through Abercrombie and Fitch. Guns from that lot still show up occasionally and when Colt Issues you a letter... they charge a crapload of extra money because their letter verifies your gun as being worth... a fortune.

Other than that... what's missing? Were some of the early Mausers in use by the Spanish? Smokeless powder and all?

I have not opened my paper copy yet. I'll read in more detail in the 'Eljer library.'

Cheers,

Sirhr
The fact that Marines carried 1895 Winchester-Lee, in 6mm Navy, rifles. They DID NOT carry Krags. And yeah, the rest of the stuff is missing too!

I forgot about the 1895's! Yup... right on.

Just to clarify... I am certain that the author is right in that there were lots of Krag's there... just not with the Marines.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Correct. Although, he clearly stated the Marines carried them in combat, which they did not. It's a story unto itself and need not be glossed over by someone who doesn't care to truly be a historian.