• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Rifle's M2 Precision Bolt Action Rifle - The Balance of Power

karagias

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
Washington
www.americanrifle.com
Hi all,

I’d like to introduce one of American Rifle’s newest products, the M2 Precision Bolt-Action Rifle (dubbed The Balance of Power). If you are currently attending the Shot Show, come see us and this rifle at booth 2701.
I designed this rifle for the sole purpose of hitting targets far, far away. The most notable features are:

Weight of only 12 pounds, making it the lightest weight rifle in its class; amazingly 5.5 pounds lighter than AI’s AX.

Interchangeable calibers—308 Win to 338 Lapua mag requiring a barrel, bolt-head, extractor, and magazine replacement.

Ambidextrous bolt handle with easily replaceable knob.

Bolt lugs that don’t need to be lapped due to a well engineered lug-receiver interface.

Aluminum chassis with fully adjustable, ambidextrous folding butt stock that can fold over the bolt handle

Isolated receiver that will preserve the relationship between the scope and the barrel during chassis deflection.

10 round double-stack, center-center feed magazine with 4” internal length ideally suited for long 338 bullets.

Aerospace grade materials, thermal treatments, and finishes are used throughout.

We stopped in the Nevada dessert on the way to the Shot Show to shoot a video that will take you through these and some of the M2’s other features. I apologize for the video quality, but I trust that you will find it informative and substantive. The M2 rifle in the video is one of only two prototypes that exist. Obviously, additional iterations are required to improve and refine the design and the construction of the rifle after extensive testing and evaluation.
The retail price for this rifle will be $6000 and we are working to deliver the first rifles by July 4th of this year.
So, watch the video and let me have it, good, bad, or otherwise. As always, praise is nice, but constructive criticism and suggestions are what I really want because that is what will improve the M2. Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9hcjkXjNpE

I am really happy someone finally put a full length claw extractor on a PSR design, I personaly do not trust anything else (bad experiences with factory Remington extractors). The rifle looks great and slim, not bulky like most other chassis on the market.

Any news on the Model 5 action?

You definitely "get it"

Very impressive features, exceptional weight. I know this is prototype 1 and the folder is new, but I'd like to see a more reliable a mechanism to actuate the folding. It seems that could fatigue or become loose over time.

Double stack mags is very important, glad you've done that and wanted to reaffirm the importance so you stick with it for all cals. I do like double feed, but you probably made a wise choice here... Feeding a big round like the lapua from both sides is cumbersome.

Bolt handle is beautiful. I'm partial to AIs (to say the least) but this seems it would be a good alternative. Come directly out of the trigger guard and you're on it.

I'd really like to see a short action version or at the least something to shorten bolt throw when shooting with the short mags you develop. Theres a big difference between working a bolt on a 308 vs a 338.

Will all rifles headspace the same? I can take a barrel off of my buddies' chassis and throw it on mine and go shooting? Will barrels be stocked by ARC and dealers? Any particular reamers youre planning for?

4" internal mag box is stellar. 338 lapua with a 300 berger loaded with boat tail above the neck shoulder junction. Not telling you anything you don't know, I'm sure. But shooters will notice and appreciate.

I don't know if it could replace my AX magnum, but it could definitely find its way into the stable for replacement evaluation. Weight is soooooo important in a fieldable rifle.

Siharitiria......Bravo Ted, BigJimFish also has a nice quick review on his thread about your rifle. If I'm not mistaken I was able to hear the drool running down the side of his mouth while trying to explain your brainchild. As probably everyone will be looking forward to the final product and launch date, I will be keeping an eye out as well.
Though I can not get up close and personal with the rifle, just by looking at it and watching your demonstration if there was anything that I thought seems out of place and/or awkward when compared to the rest of the rifle, I would say the stock, but again this is just from looking at your demo. Also, and you've probably already thought of this, but naming your first rifle the "ARC Angel" would be so appropriate. Would like info on purchase, please PM me when you're ready to take orders.

Last edited:
Ted, I like the rifle, and I would really like to handle one. Would it be possible to incorporate an integral rear monopod on the stock like the sako folding stock?

Ted,

I really like the design and would love to put hands on to check it out. You asked for some constructive criticism to help improve the design so here are some thoughts for you to consider.

1. The safety positions as you described in the video are backward from an AR. With an AR, when the safety is pointed horizontal to the ground, the safety is engaged. When ready to fire, the shooters thumb flips the safety downward so it is pointing upward and ready to fire. From the video, it sounded like horizontal position was fire and perpendicular to the ground was safe with bolt locked. I do like the three position safety though. I'm unfamiliar with your trigger so changing how the safety rotates might not be possible. Just thought this change would alleviate some confusion with shooters transitioning from AR to your platform.

2. Is there any way to incorporate some sort of "catch" to the buttstock when folded so that it isn't free to swing back out? I didn't notice a catch when you folded the buttstock against the side of the rifle. I'd like to see a catch so that when placing the rifle into a pack with the buttstock down, I'm not fighting it to stay closed. This becomes more important when retrieving the rifle OUT of the pack. Not everybody places the buttstock downward but even with the buttstock UP, I don't want it flopping around.

3. You didn't mention much about the brake so I'll ask if this is your own design brake as well or if you used a brake from another company?

4. I'd request that you include some form of rail cover for the bottom of the buttstock. I utilize a bag on occasion and other times do not have the time to incorporate it. That rail will chew up somebody's support hand if they don't have a glove on and don't use a bag to rest the stock on. Include a nice quality rail cover with the rifle and the owner can elect to remove it if they want but at least they won't have to find one from someplace else if it is desired.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Geb

Had the pleasure of meeting Ted today at SHOT show. The M2 looks like an excellent design, very innovative. Also the M10 scope rings are going on our next rifle!

Thanks for taking the time to demo your wares!

Jeff & Jennifer

I was able to see an in depth break down of the rifle at shot and it is awesome! It needs a few refinements but it is an awesome innovative piece and if they decide to make a short or medium action it will be my next rig. Their Remington style action also shares most of the same attributes and is a very slick rig!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Correct me if I am wrong but you said .308 up to .338 right? What happens to the extra space in the magazine well when you change calibers? I am really really looking forward to see this thing develop.

I'm guessing it's going to have separate mags with same outside diameter and smaller inside diameter. The rifle at shot was a long action. So it can fit all the calibers listed but you have a longer throw for shorter calibers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Ted spent a ton of time with us at SHOT and disassembled this down to it core components.

I really think he is on the right track with this project, and especially the M5 which will work in Remington Footprint.

The M2 has a ton of innovation in it, I think some stuff might have to be refined and the chassis is still in the entry phase, but overall, think of it like a Floating Action in the stock.

At the same show, David Tubb showed us his new Trigger, which is really a modernized copy of a very old trigger. Ted is working in this same direction. Taking proven concepts and marrying them together.

I am really excited to see the direction he goes. His stuff is on the cutting edge.

1560399_10152216962277953_2111763291_n.jpg

Sorry I am late to the party here ! I fell in love at SHOT with this work of art of a rifle. Funny thing was when I asked him how much work it took to design it that way - the answer was simple - NONE. He said basically everything is just functional - no industrial design at all. It is just a majorly sweet looking rifle.

Here is a video I took of Ted - sorry about the lousy cameraman :) - I had to do two takes since I was filming on my camera...

American Rifle Companies Model 2 Bolt Action Rifle - YouTube

IMG 1155 - YouTube

Then, ran out of space - wish I had visited him earlier in the show !

As a lefty (hand not politics) I am pretty excited about the ambidextrous nature of the rifle. Should also help with the used market down the road.

American Rifle's M2 Precision Bolt Action Rifle - The Balance of Power

Looking forward to seeing the final product. As a lefty it's nice to see its ambidextrous.

Last edited:
Ted,
Any thoughts on your M5 receiver being able to drop in the after market chassis systems and using the AI mags instead of your proprietary mags that you are designing. When I observed the first news release from Shot on your rifle I got the biggest damn smile ever. Hmmm Remington footprint but Mauser extractor, what a beautiful combination with so many possibilities.

Ted,
Any thoughts on your M5 receiver being able to drop in the after market chassis systems and using the AI mags instead of your proprietary mags that you are designing. When I observed the first news release from Shot on your rifle I got the biggest damn smile ever. Hmmm Remington footprint but Mauser extractor, what a beautiful combination with so many possibilities.

Unless I grossly misunderstood the M5 Mausingfield action, that is exactly what it does. The example at show was even configured in this way (I think it was bedded in a Manners). Only the M2 takes special mags because of the switch caliber nature of the design.

Sweet design sir. I like that you stayed with a 2 lug bolt instead of the trendy current stuff going to 3, 4, or even 6-lug bolts. Honestly I dont see any point in increasing the number of lugs as it may add some strength but it will only increase the weight of bolt lift, so to take advantage of the shorter lift youre gonna have to be more coordinated. Like I said, it may add strength but if youre not loading cases to 100,000+ PSI then its redundant.

With the toroidal design, can we get some details on this please sir? Im having a hard time understanding your wording of it. Do you mean that the backside(contact area) of the lug is rounded and the lug abutment(what the lug contacts back into) is also rounded? So its a rounded surface against a rounded surface? Or do you mean the contact surface of the lug is rounded and the abutment is shaped to fit the rounded surface of the lug into it?

Also, have you seen BAT`s 3-lug action? As I said, Im not so sure 3 lugs are an improvement, or really even necessary. But one thing I did think was interesting was that the diameter of the bolt head including the lugs is the same, or smaller than the diameter of the body of the bolt. This allows the action to do away with raceways for the lugs, so that the entire inside of the action is concentric and the bolt body mostly is in entirely in contact with the inside surface of the action. Obviously the bolt needs to be fluted to allow it to function and slide through, and to keep friction down. Overall though, I thought that was quite an interesting setup.

For ideas on improvements, and Im not real sure what all you would want to change, but the CG INCH and CG Delta have some very interesting features. If you look at the CG Delta`s bolt head, the lugs are set up in a manner to allow the lugs to basically completely surround the bolt head. Most definitely a very strong design. The best way I can think to describe it is like a truncated triangle, with concave sides if you will. Heres the link:

Actionclear Modern Rifles

They also have their CG INCH action, which is a rear lug design. Also very interesting to say the least. The bolt stroke is very short in comparison to say a R700.

In regards to your chassis rifle. One thing that I personally would have incorporated is a free-floated action with a barrel-block. Instead of the action holding the barrel up, a block that completely surrounds the barrel holds it and that is attached to the stock in whatever manner while the action hangs out in the breeze. Though on the setup Im thinking of, the block is much smaller than the type of thing you see in the big 600/1000yd BR Heavy Gun class. I cant quite remember where to find the picture, but somewhere on 6mmbr/accurateshooter there is a short range BR rifle(Light Varmint or Heavy Varmint cant remember) that is setup in this manner with quite a small barrel block, in the range of 2-3 inches long at most. Not only does this allow you to put as heavy of a barrel on there as you want without stressing the action, but you can also tune the rifle to be very, very accurate by moving the block up or down on the length of the barrel to get the harmonics just right. Obviously for a tactical rifle though, thats probably more work than most people want to do.

One more thing you may want to consider is lock time. AFAIK, the CG actions use a Belleville washer design instead of conventional springs and consequently achieve a bit faster lock time than a traditional setup.

Thanks for your time sir.

I saw this post way back earlier this year and filed it away. Just recently last week I had a chance to meet Ted at the USASOC vendor day and holy shit this is one mind blowing rifle. Just listened to Ted rave in his almost mad scientist ways for 20 minutes had me convinced. For every question I had Ted had an answer guided by inviting reasoning and logic. To say that he is probably a genius is a under statement. But honestly the proof in the pudding anyone can stand behind a table and talk about something. We had a chance later that day to shot the M2 out to 1500 meters and by God this rifle delivered like no other 13 lbs .338 Lapua Magnum ever has. Keep up the awesome work Ted!

Am I the only one scared of a 338 lapua that only weighs 13 pounds?

I participate in field matches and value light-ness...but apparently I'm a delicate flower.

Regardless it looks like a sweet rifle. Tailor made for this crowd...not the military contract chasing mass-produced rifles made elsewhere (not that that's a bad thing...)

by God this rifle delivered like no other 13 lbs .338 Lapua Magnum ever has. Keep up the awesome work Ted!

Yeah you know it sounds punishing but it's not bad at all. I found the rifle to be pretty comfortable to shoot I probably cracked of 2 or so rounds and never even gave recoil a second thought.

any updates on production scheduling or chassis prototype development? still AUG for first batch?

I got a chance to shoot the M2 today at the range with Ted. I was there working up a load for a rifle (CZ 527 in .204 Ruger) and he showed up with the M2 to test some loads he'd put together with some 300gr Scenars and 94gr (I think) of US869. The M2 is certainly eye catching and I ventured over to ask Ted about it. I was amazed at the level of innovation on this thing; The toroidal lug design, ambi-bolt, folding buttstock, switch barrel, etc, etc,... Everything but the scope and the AR-style grip is custom designed and made,... Needless to say, Ted walked through all the current features and the tweaks he intended to make on certain elements and it is definitely impressive! He asked if I'd be nice enough to shoot a string of five rounds with it,... Would I(!), you don't have to ask me twice! One of the first things you notice when you pick the rifle up is its' weight - it is LIGHT for a .338 Lapua! Even with the S&B PMII 5-25 Ted had on it, this rifle looks to be twice as heavy as it is. However, after taking a few shots the recoil was very manageable with the brake installed, but lets be honest, it's a 338 Lapua and there's always an element of bell-ringing due to the sheer power of the round,... but nothing excessive on the shooter's shoulder. Even for a random load that Ted whipped up, it was shooting <1.0-MOA at 300-yards for me. Ted's string of five had four shots in 0.25-MOA and one called flier. It was fun to see those 300gr Scenars kick up big clouds of dust on the backstop! I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on this company and their wares,... Thanks Ted!

Ry

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. was just looking for this thread to see if I had missed anything.

looks like I am returning to US in Aug, so hopefully these will be out by then

A controlled feed action with off the shelf stocks!

I don't think they have yet, but I'm hoping since the mausingfield action is rolling now that the m2 is next on the list... One in 300 norma sure would be a nice addition to the stable! Lol