• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Security BF6636 Delivered Yesterday

jeo556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Just wanted to give anyone in the market for a gun safe a little review of my new AMSEC BF6636, and maybe get some pointers from those of you that have moved a +1000 lb. safe in the past.

First the mini-review.

Upon removing the safe from the box, bag, and assorted shipping provisions I was very pleased with the exterior asthetics of the safe. I choose the textured charcoal but instead recieved the tectured black finish. I'll be calling the company this afternoon to see if there is anything that they can do for the screwup. The chrome hardware on the exterior is also very nice looking and the handle along the left side of the door is a nice touch. The interior door organiser is very nice and very heavy duty. On the AMSEC website they show pistols and even rifles and shotguns attached to the interior door and truthfully I did not think that would be possible. It does in fact hold both loaded fullsize 1911's as well as rifles, very nice! The shelving and carpeting in the interior is really top notch and the interior mirror helps you find away around by bringing more light into the safe.

All in all I'm very pleased with my purchase. I would definetly suggest this safe to a friend especially for the price that I got it for delivered.

Now for the movement....I'm planning on using wooden dowel rods to move the safe to its final resting place but I'm all ears if anyone has advice for me. I have considered a heavy duty appliacnce dolly but would rather not spend the $$$ to use it only once.

Re: American Security BF6636 Delivered Yesterday

Congrats! From a security standpoint, the Amsec BF series is probably one of the best of the UL RSC-rated gun safes given it is a composite design similar to real burglary-rated and jeweler's safes. I've been utterly disappointed at the misleading marketing in the gun safe world after examining the regular players. They're little more than sheet metal boxes with sheetrock "insulation" and a nice coat of paint.

Wood dowels or lengths of steel rod and plywood sheets if you are afraid of damaging hardwood flooring or getting bogged down with thick carpeting. Pros do it the same way.

Yeah, it was a little difficult to explain to my wife why i needed to spend $3K as opposed to $1K on a safe. Thankfully i found some video on youtube that helped show the difference in quality from the wally world special. I figured that for the size I wanted I would need to spend at least $1K, and from $1K to about $2.5K there is very little gained security wise, just prettier safes with more bells and whistles. So from my point of view, it's either a $1K metal box or a real RSC.

In the end it came down to the AMSEC or Sturdy safe. Altohugh I believe that I would have been totally satisfied with either, I found that for the size I wanted the AMSEC was a little cheaper.

Thanks for the advice about moving it. I'll keep that in mind.

I am trying to understand why this safe above the other safes on the market is that much better?

Cannon, Ft Knox, etc

Sorry about that, having a brain fart.

I don't necessarily think that it is that much better than the safes that you mentioned. I was trying to say that I believe it to be supperior to the ~$1K safes on the market. That being said I do think it's the best choice for what I paid for it.

I really liked the fact that it has a poured insulation sandwiched between two sheets of steel as far as security and fire protection are concerned. I really wasn't that excited about using drywall as the only heat barrier. As an example, the Cannon prodect line that is similiarly priced is the Armory Series. The fire rating for said line is 30 min at 1200 deg. while the AMSEC has a 90 min rating. I am also impressed with the composite design of the AMSEC BF series that mimicks how real commercial vaults are designed and built.

Truthfully I didn't look into the Ft. Knox line too much so I cannot comment on them in comparison.

I think folks should keep something in mind. How many "gun safe" companies make insurable commercial safe and security products? American Security is the only compaany I am aware of who makes their living on commercial security products in REAL ratings like UL TL-30. With that kind of infrastructure, some of it is bound to trickle down into their gun safe line.

I will say this though. A gun safe is simply an investment in time. You're buying time before police show up. We are lucky your generic smash and grab criminal doesn't have the time to attack a safe. They might whack the handle and dial/keypad with a hammer and give up. Even a cheapo Centurion or similar $200 special is probably enough to deter most burglars since time is usually critical.

Last things folks should consider. Don't rely on the fire rating and do some research on how these fire materials protect the contents. They do it by releasing moisture to keep temperatures down. Most guns don't like to spend time in pressure-cooker conditions. The BF mght be better because the moisture is sandwiched between steel skins. In any case, I would rely on a safe for burglary protection and insurance for fire damage.

Update,

Was able to move the safe into her final destination this weekend. Must give a big thanks to some of the videos posted by Sturdy Safe on youtube, they were a huge help! So with the knowledge from the vids and the help of 4 buddies and 4-1.5" dowel rods the move went flawlessly. Took all of 10 minutes to move it the ~30' to the final location.

Again, very pleased with the safe and I'm even getting a nice little refund for the wrong color safe.

I was told that golf balls work good for moving heavy safes too. That way you can move multi-directionally.

I used a Refrigerator (appliance) Cart

Be careful with golf balls, only 1 golf ball under the safe will equity cracked tile, or so im told by someone who messed up his floor

Golf balls will also leave U-shaped grooves on softwood floors, possibly hardwood floors. You're basically balancing the entire safe on a few points of contact that transmit hundreds, if not thousands of pounds to the flooring.

I have hardwood floors (rosewood) and moved my safe 900lbs with 4 6" felt pads stuck on the bottom of the safe and a can of Pledge.

spray the floor with pledge, or make the pads wet with pledge

I could move mine by myself. Even spin it in the hallyway.