• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

America's Big Tiger Problem

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44444016

"Does the US have a pet tiger problem?" To read this article you'd think yes, the US has a massive tiger problem. A couple of gems:

"It is easier to own a tiger than a dog that has been labelled dangerous in the state of Texas, which could have between 2,000 and 5,000 tigers."

"You're not going to have a tiger in Brooklyn as easily - Texas lends itself to keeping these animals,"

Says there are twice as many tigers in captivity in US than in the wild. That's fucked up if true but most are in zoos, not people's back yards (and the real story is in India, not Texas). This article makes it sound like half the people in Texas have tigers. I actually lived in Texas for a few months back in 94 and I feel gypped after reading this because I never got to see one. Also note the language used, lots of "registered" this and that, and lots of references to Texans and Americans in general valuing their freedom in a negative, if not reckless, light. They literally think it's newsworthy when an American takes a piss without permission.

And this is what came up when I searched for "news" under the news search on google. Really? Nothing else happened on Earth today so that's page one shit? More like "America's big news problem".

Hi,

Well shit....How come I or none of my friends have freaking tigers......we are in Texas!!
    I have to get some better friends it would appear, because at least 1 person in the group MUST own a tiger.

OT: About 10 years ago I wanted to bring some hyenas back from West Africa and see how good I could catch wild hogs with them in Louisiana but State said I would have to get a recreational zoo license but I did not want to deal with all that paperwork lol.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Only non zoo tiger I'm aware of is in a truck stop in Louisiana.

Yeah, I think that's the one they're referring to and I recall one in the news a while back that had been there for a long time and under the same circumstances as the one in the story but it got rescued and isn't at that particular truck stop anymore. Perhaps I'm thinking of a lion, not sure, and now the damn story has me wondering how many gas stations have tigers, though I've never seen one.

Hi,

Well shit....How come I or none of my friends have freaking tigers......we are in Texas!!
    I have to get some better friends it would appear, because at least 1 person in the group MUST own a tiger.

OT: About 10 years ago I wanted to bring some hyenas back from West Africa and see how good I could catch wild hogs with them in Louisiana but State said I would have to get a recreational zoo license but I did not want to deal with all that paperwork lol.

Sincerely,
    Theis

I used to live in Brewster County & we could’ve used some mongoose to deal w/ the rattlesnakes. We had rattlesnakes everywhere. I know this sounds crazy, but I talked to some guys clearing ranch land one time & they were saying in a 40+ acre plot of land they’d counted about 160 diamondbacks & mojaves.

I now live in Val Verde County & the snakes aren’t nearly as thick.

Years ago some idiot kept a Lion cub in his apartment, this was up in Harlem. ..... Neighbors said they would hear strange screaming from the place..... ya think

I used to live in Brewster County & we could’ve used some mongoose to deal w/ the rattlesnakes. We had rattlesnakes everywhere. I know this sounds crazy, but I talked to some guys clearing ranch land one time & they were saying in a 40+ acre plot of land they’d counted about 160 diamondbacks & mojaves.

I now live in Val Verde County & the snakes aren’t nearly as thick.

Beautiful area. I owned a ranch 30 miles south of Rocksprings. Wish I still did. Thats a lot of rattlers.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
    Yeah, I think that's the one they're referring to and I recall one in the news a while back that had been there for a long time and under the same circumstances as the one in the story but it got rescued and isn't at that particular truck stop anymore. Perhaps I'm thinking of a lion, not sure, and now the damn story has me wondering how many gas stations have tigers, though I've never seen one.

Well, I think that tiger died.

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_46251bf8-b357-11e7-b2b6-afcbb7a5925b.html

Everybody has a tiger but me....
    kickcan.gif

Don’t forget about Mike the Tiger at LSU I Baton Rouge. He used to come to every home football game. I think they stopped that a couple years ago.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: Veer_G
    I thought you lived in Dubai or some shit. Your posts often put you in seemingly unAmerican looking places lol.:D

Hi,

I live in Houston and Ras Al Khaimah due to business locations.
    But I travel ALL over lolol. Some of them are unAmerican.....due to business dealings.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Last edited:
    When I was in 6th grade (1994?) one of the senior boys brought his pet tiger cub to our class. It walked around and we all got to pet on it. Kinda surreal. I remember seeing the one at the gas station outside of BR several times.

sooooo.....when do we get to hunt them?

kind of wish Texas would start importing animals from Africa....letting them run free and populate to sustainable numbers.....then have hunting seasons for them.

bring over some Elephant and Rhino.

I won't opine on the accuracy of the numbers in the article as I have no data, but there is a wild feline rescue center near here which houses about 200 cats. The VAST majority of them are tigers. Most of these cats came from people who had them illegally as pets, at least according to the stories they told during the tour. They get confiscated and sent to places like this rescue center, which typically keeps them the rest of their lives.

That's a lot of illegal pet tigers.

Many of these tigers are in large enclosures. It is incredible to watch one charge you out of a hidden crouch from 50 yards away...and imagine what it would be like to try and bring a rifle to bear in time if the fence were not there. Sobering indeed.

sooooo.....when do we get to hunt them?

kind of wish Texas would start importing animals from Africa....letting them run free and populate to sustainable numbers.....then have hunting seasons for them.

bring over some Elephant and Rhino.

Thats been going on for 50 years. Circa 1971 some buddies took and airplane and flew from Corpus Christi south over the huge Chapman Ranch and spotted the herd of Axis deer they had imported. then they took a boat down the inter coastal waterway, hiked inland, poached a couple and brought them out. We smoked them...delicious. Now you can find anything you want to kill. Its pretty sick though. I know of one ranch that raises animals in pens, hand fed. then they take the great white hunters out and ride them around for a couple of hours until they find the animal (who had been given a bucket of grain to stay in one place) and let him shoot it. Real goddamn sporting. One guy was bragging "I busted his ass good." like that made him a man.

Thats been going on for 50 years. Circa 1971 some buddies took and airplane and flew from Corpus Christi south over the huge Chapman Ranch and spotted the herd of Axis deer they had imported. then they took a boat down the inter coastal waterway, hiked inland, poached a couple and brought them out. We smoked them...delicious. Now you can find anything you want to kill. Its pretty sick though. I know of one ranch that raises animals in pens, hand fed. then they take the great white hunters out and ride them around for a couple of hours until they find the animal (who had been given a bucket of grain to stay in one place) and let him shoot it. Real goddamn sporting. One guy was bragging "I busted his ass good." like that made him a man.

yeah canned hunts are fucking bullshit, thats not hunting, its just paying to shoot a caged animal....ive seen a few ranches are offering Zebra and Giraffe hunts....im pretty sure Zebra and giraffe are not currently roaming the plains of texas wild...

I fear that almost all Texas hunting is that you either have money or friends or family, or no fun. The few public areas are over run. Sad.
    It is getting the same everywhere I think. I know it is in my area but money doesn't change hands. We do have some ethics.

I fear that almost all Texas hunting is that you either have money or friends or family, or no fun. The few public areas are over run. Sad.
    It is getting the same everywhere I think. I know it is in my area but money doesn't change hands. We do have some ethics.

Yeah. It's kind of a shitty situation. I do what I can to make sure that people I'm friends with have some way to get out doors and do some cool shit as well as making friends just in case I ever find myself without a place of my own where I can show my boys how to clean a deer.

Would you beleive more deer are killed in Texas by car each year than by hunters. They killed off all the natural predators so now its just overrun. Then there is the little community that love the deer so much that they stopped any hunting so now the deer have so inbred in that area that they are dwarfs and diseased. You dont want tho fuck with Mother Nature too much.

Would you beleive more deer are killed in Texas by car each year than by hunters. They killed off all the natural predators so now its just overrun. Then there is the little community that love the deer so much that they stopped any hunting so now the deer have so inbred in that area that they are dwarfs and diseased. You dont want tho fuck with Mother Nature too much.

Or the small city 'hoods with the crazy ladies that like to feed ALL the wildlife, even the 'yotes. :eek:

In other news, who knew coyotes liked schedule 1 narcotics?

https://www.ksat.com/news/officials-aggressive-coyotes-may-be-high-on-shrooms_

Or the small city 'hoods with the crazy ladies that like to feed ALL the wildlife, even the 'yotes. :eek:

In other news, who knew coyotes liked schedule 1 narcotics?

https://www.ksat.com/news/officials-aggressive-coyotes-may-be-high-on-shrooms_

My neighbor lady was feeding the racoons and possums that wandered up from the lake. I tried to explain that they carry rabies and are not furry little freinds but I never go through to her.

Thats weird. Ive eaten some mushrooms, portabellos, shitake's and like them cooked, but raw?...I cant see a yote eating raw mushrooms. I offered some to my wolves and they looked at me like I was trying to poison them.

Its just the tourists feeding them from cars.

We have two Savannah's... Spotted cats rule!

On the subject of striped cats... well, if there are 2,000 of them in Texas, then we don't have to worry about them going extinct, do we? And I can have that tiger rug I always wanted!

Cheers,

Sirhr
    Savannahs??? What F generation are they?

I wonder if you can raise a "domesticated" bobcat from a kitten?

It has been done. How domesticated they actually were might be debatable. I know of two people that tried it. Kept them in the house and let them roam outside. Haven’t seen or spoken to those folks in years so I’m not sure how it panned out when they got older and full grown.

Look up (or better yet, read) A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold. A great thesis on wildlife management and conservation. seeing animals waste away due to competition for shrinking food supplies as the population grows while natural predator numbers shrink sucks. I’m not angry enough at snow geese to swat them during regular season as I’d rather manage duck numbers, but will do my part for their sake when conservation season is open and biologists say I’m needed. Same goes for taking a cull deer over a mature buck...besides, the wonky one usually tastes better anyway.

Screw tigers, I’m off to fuck a cougar. G’night boys.

Sihr is the closest thing to a wild animal with his Savannahs.

Savannahs??? What F generation are they?
    F4... Normal cat size. Anything but wild. Smart and think they are dogs. One will play fetch non stop... Spoiled rotton, of course. Anyone who wants a savannah on the basis of size... Shouldn't have one. They are all about personality.

Maggots wolves are way more wild than our cats! Cheers, sirhr

Last edited:
    Reactions: Maggot
    Look up (or better yet, read) A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold. A great thesis on wildlife management and conservation. seeing animals waste away due to competition for shrinking food supplies as the population grows while natural predator numbers shrink sucks. I’m not angry enough at snow geese to swat them during regular season as I’d rather manage duck numbers, but will do my part for their sake when conservation season is open and biologists say I’m needed. Same goes for taking a cull deer over a mature buck...besides, the wonky one usually tastes better anyway.

Screw tigers, I’m off to fuck a cougar. G’night boys.

My point was that we have put the system out of balance by killing of the natural predators and thus created a problem. Same is true of feral hogs...ESPECIALLY in Texas. they cause billions in damage each year and are the product of our own greed and mismanagement.