• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo at RO.

sailhertoo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2006
Florida
Do you use factory ammo at RO or reloads? Are you getting F-Class accuracy out of your ammo?

Thanks

Re: Ammo at RO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RO is going to blow your mind. </div></div>

Pardon me?

You can use either ammo. We recommend shooting factory 175 gr but.....if you want to shoot handloads that is fine too. However, please use a published load and do not make your ammo to hot. There have been times, with the hot loads, that there have been overpressure problems just do to the environment that we are in. Just don't try to get too hot with the handloads and you should be fine.

So I'm assuming y'all don't achieve F-Class accuracy out of your factory ammo during the classes there?

The reason I ask is from the lessons I'm takeing here on line, the targets that are shown with groups shot are one holer's. How do you get that with factory ammo? I spend boo cou time on my handloads.

What kind of accuracy does RO strive for, 1 moa, 2 moa?

Beamer Girl you were up too late - or your posting from the Orient. He He

1moa is the target at RO. To take a class they recommend a rifle capable of shooting 1moa or better. And I can assure you more factory ammo is shot at RO than handloads. And there are quite a few rifle, factory ammo combination's that shoot 1 moa or better.

Most custom rifles especially from the the vendors here on the Hide will shoot 1/2moa with factory ammo. If you are getting ready to take a class at RO and you hand load I suggest you get started!!! lol

FClass 308s are shooting 155gr ammo going 2950fps, so they are essentially attempting to get a 308 to perform like a 260.

I shoot nothing but factory ammo and will shoot sub moa targets at RO.

We shoot sub MOA at 100 and beyond, but generally start out with larger targets with the ability step down to an MOA or better target at the same yardline.

the range is not a manicured F Class range with nothing but prone shooting, it's about getting off your belly and actually driving a rifle beyond the prone. Which takes people well out of their sub MOA comfort zone.

I would recommend factory ammo, and assure you any issues with accuracy will be due to trying to manage the wind or due to shooter error and not because your ammo is not up to par.

Thanks for the replys.

So all the time I spend on my reloads would be better spent doing trigger time or dry fireing, for the most part.

After all I've learned here I'm thinking I need a class at RO. Is there a link to the RO dates and price?

Thanks a bunch.

Oh! and on the good days, I can drive FGMM 168gr .308 out to 600yd within 1 moa, again, "on the good days" only
smile.gif

But I have seen other Hide members that has the ability to do that most of the time.

I believe if you spend most of the time developing handloads, you will get good with hand loading, just like if you spend most of the time behind the trigger and shooting, you will get good with shooting.
smile.gif

RO classes is still on my list to do, only wishing that day comes when my schedule allows.

Thanks,

Dyl..

Sailhertoo,
Yes, all of the staff at RO shoots factory ammo. Jacob (owner of RO) did reload a long time ago but does not have time to do so anymore...not to mention that he doesn't want to spend his time reloading..lol!
If you have good equipment and work the fundamentals you will be able in increase your accuracy.
If you have any other questions just let me know.
Lisa

The precision rifle class at Rifles Only is amazing. Frank and Jacob do an incredible job of training you on how to drive your rifle. Equipment is important, but they show you that it is secondary to skill and practice. The volume of practical knowledge they give you is astounding. They will answer questions and explain things all day long.

At the end of the class there is a run and gun where you use every skill you learned. It really enforces everything from the class. I think the only thing you don’t have to do is shoot upside down or underwater. But I bet they can train you up on that as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...on the good days, I can drive FGMM 168gr .308 out to 600yd within 1 moa, again, "on the good days" only</div></div>

The ability of 168 SMKs to reach distance is heavily dependent on atmospheric conditions.

Rifles Only is essentially at sea level. On a recent cold day, those puppies were going subsonic before 800 yards.

When a 168 SMK goes transonic, it often behaves badly, because the angle on the boattail is too step, and it may start flying sideways, which does not enhance accuracy...

On a hot day at Rifles Only, the 168s may get to 1000 yards supersonic - it gets <span style="font-style: italic">hot</span> down here from time to time...
laugh.gif

For that reason, it's better to shoot loads with 175 SMKs, or other better behaved bullets <span style="font-style: italic">unless</span> you're a police officer whose department mandates use of 168 SMK loads. Then it would be better to train at Rifles Only on the department load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
... and it may start flying sideways, which does not enhance accuracy...

</div></div>

Lindy is the master of understated truth. I bask in his subtle glory.

See ya soon, Lindy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will sit humbly at your feet awaiting for you to minister to the thirsty...
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Lindy you won't be sitting humbly at his feet once that 7mm wizzum starts blowin gas out of his muzzle break. I will prefer to be much further away!! lol

Its actually not that bad.....the 18" 308 with the same break might be worse.

If the ATF would hurry up the 7 might have a can, but probably not. Plus, Karl's punishment for missing the Bash is that he has to shoot the match between Brent and I running 7wsms with breaks.

The only sound Lindy will have to "endure" is a cork loosening and a nice single malt hitting the bottom of a glass.

Sean Brent is running the wizzum too?? I can't make train up as bad as I need to. I'll catch you guys Thurs. Are you all bunkin it or motel?

I am requesting a minimum of 6 spots away from you all!!! lol

Yeah, we are both bringing new 7s. His has a damn Vais break.....blows friggin dust everywhere. I was down beside him at SSC and it wasnt too bad as far as sound goes....just dust.

We will be in the Bunkhouse as always. See you Thurs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ability of 168 SMKs to reach distance is heavily dependent on atmospheric conditions.

Rifles Only is essentially at sea level. On a recent cold day, those puppies were going subsonic before 800 yards.

When a 168 SMK goes transonic, it often behaves badly, because the angle on the boattail is too step, and it may start flying sideways, which does not enhance accuracy...</div></div>

Ruh roh ... never read <span style="font-style: italic">that </span>anywhere before. How well behaved are they at 600 on a 50 degree day? And can I assume the 168gr SGK will behave similarly? (I have my pencil out.)

Do I need to change my Midway order?
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FClass 308s are shooting 155gr ammo going 2950fps, so they are essentially attempting to get a 308 to perform like a 260.

I shoot nothing but factory ammo and will shoot sub moa targets at RO.

We shoot sub MOA at 100 and beyond, but generally start out with larger targets with the ability step down to an MOA or better target at the same yardline.

the range is not a manicured F Class range with nothing but prone shooting, it's about getting off your belly and actually driving a rifle beyond the prone. Which takes people well out of their sub MOA comfort zone.

I would recommend factory ammo, and assure you any issues with accuracy will be due to trying to manage the wind or due to shooter error and not because your ammo is not up to par. </div></div>

Do you mind to tell what factory ammo you shoot?

Thanks

Black hills would be a good start if your looking for high quality factory ammo. All the black hills I have used was definitely capable of shooting better than 1 MOA. Just get some BH 175's and see how they work out for you.

Thank you but the question still goes out to <span style="color: #FF0000">LL</span>. I know they problably shoot shit load of factory and I just want to know what they shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beamer Girl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sailhertoo,
Yes, all of the staff at RO shoots factory ammo. Jacob (owner of RO) did reload a long time ago but does not have time to do so anymore...not to mention that he doesn't want to spend his time reloading..lol!
If you have good equipment and work the fundamentals you will be able in increase your accuracy.
If you have any other questions just let me know.
Lisa </div></div>

Beamer Girl..... your up too late again. How you gonna hold groups half way 'sleep? But then, you are a Beamer!!!

Jacob and I shoot Cor Bon and Black Hills ---

<span style="font-style: italic">honestly if watch any of the videos we shoot, you can see the boxes there next to the rifles .</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jacob and I shoot Cor Bon and Black Hills ---

<span style="font-style: italic">honestly if watch any of the videos we shoot, you can see the boxes there next to the rifles .</span> </div></div>

I assumed most of those shot in the videos were blanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jacob and I shoot Cor Bon and Black Hills ---

<span style="font-style: italic">honestly if watch any of the videos we shoot, you can see the boxes there next to the rifles .</span> </div></div>

I assumed most of those shot in the videos were blanks.</div></div>

No we shoot live rounds, just well off target so we can edit in the hits later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jacob and I shoot Cor Bon and Black Hills ---

I assumed most of those shot in the videos were blanks.</div></div>

No we shoot live rounds, just well off target so we can edit in the hits later. </div></div>

Method acting, huh?