• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo for 338 Lapua

Mekana

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
Anch. AK
I am new to long range shooting and I am wondering if HSM ammo is a good product. I can find it for about half the price of other ammo for the 338 Lapua. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Ammo for 338 Lapua

Either you need to reload or just buy Cor-Bon. They load some really nice 338LM. Of course that is just my opinion. I did find HSM for sale at $58 for 20 which seems almost too cheap.

HSM makes a good product. I would not hesitate to buy their ammo. However as was already stated reloading is the way to go. The only way to get the most out of any ammo, particularly the 338LM, is to load your own.

In general, HSM makes decent ammo. However, everyone and then I have some problems. For instance, my HSM 750 AMAX for 50 BMG, would not chamber in my Windrunner, but it does for the Barrett. If your chamber has a tight tolerance, you may want to reconsider. To get the best out of your 338LM, reloading is the solution. Even with Lapua manufactured ammo is not anywhere as accurate as my reload.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc_J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to sound too naive, but how can they sell it for that low of a price.</div></div>

Sniper Central...

HSM is decent quality, but I too have had issues with their ammo chambering in match rifle (two 308s and one 300WM bolt rifle with match chambers did not like HSM, but my gas guns ate the 308 ammo up).

Unless you just have an unlimited supply of cash or one of those new-fangled trees that grows money in the back yard...you have to reload for the 338LM or it will eat you out of house and home.