• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ammo for a 1 in 7 twist 223 ar15

mrwiggins

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2008
Louisiana
i've been running black hills 77 grain smk's, but i'm looking for some plinking ammo. the 55 grain stuff is easy to find, but i'd like to stick with the heavier bullet weight, any idea who makes heavier 223 plinking ammo?

Re: ammo for a 1 in 7 twist 223 ar15

Wideners sells some lower cost "mil-spec" 75 gr bullets

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8437&dir=278|281|727

I use 5.56 M 855 62gr FMJ -(SS109 bullet) - U.S. Military
L. C. from surplusammo.com, buy in bulk, great for plinking amongst other things. Runs better in my 1:7 than 55g.

Look around for 62 grain ammo, there are a few brands out there you can get for ~300$ per 1000.

edit: palmettostatearmory, 62 grain PMC and Federal looks like 321.50 per 1k, shipped.

What do you mean by 'heavier', and what's the point of shooting crappy ammo?

He isn't shooting matches Graham. He just wants something that will run better in a faster twist without spending a fortune on it.

You may want to reload or try Hunting Shack. They have some 75 gr. HPBT for a fair price.

The best is what you load.

The best isn't necessarily heavy.

Twist + chamber is more important than just twist.

"Cheap" ammo often means inconsistent powder charges, cases with wider internal capacity variances, FH variances, neck tension variances, excessive runout. In short, you could slap a 69 SMK (generally a great bullet in most any barrel) on top of a case with all of these other inconsistencies and still have a crap load.

Summation: if you want it to shoot really well - you need to load it.

Otherwise buy some Black Hills Ammunition 'Blue Box' in 69 or 77 grain.

Good luck

The OP said he's already shooting BH 77gr. He's obviously looking for something similar but less expensive to use as plinking ammo. I think the whole point of him asking is so he wont wind up with "crappy" ammo.

62gr privi part. works well in my Armalite.....but its a 9 twist I think.

okie

I have shot almost 3000 rounds of the 75gr Prvi Partisan Match ammunition in my 1-7 twist 16" Noveske barreled AR.

Black Hills and CORBON's 75-77gr loads group consistently sub-MOA out the rifle for 10 round groups. The Prvi Partisan 75gr load mostly groups 1.25-1.5 MOA for 10 round groups. Palmetto State Armory has it for $415/1000. This is about half what BH and CORBON cost.

I've had no luck shooting surplus 62 grain SS109 projos in any of my 1:7 AR's (6920, SR 556, SCAR and 6600 HBAR). Groups were horrible. Had much better results with the M193 projos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had no luck shooting surplus 62 grain SS109 projos in any of my 1:7 AR's (6920, SR 556, SCAR and 6600 HBAR). Groups were horrible. Had much better results with the M193 projos. </div></div>

I may have to try these. I have the same issue with grouping SS109, but for plinking the price cant be beat. What is a good place to purchase online? What are the prices like?

55, 62 cheap ammo the difference will be your rifle not necessarily the ammo. 60VMAX is a good one for a faster twist and short ranges as it is a flat base.

The best ammo is like the other guy's said, the stuff you make for yourself. Nosler 77's are 14cents per if you buy 1k, 1X fired brass can be had for 100-120 per thousand, primers are 3cents and 223 doesn't exactly take a lot of powder.

OP if you really want cheap, accurate ammo learn how to reload.

That's not bad maladat on the Prvi. I just ordered some of SW ammuntion's 77 SMK loads to try in my 1:7. Not cheap but not ridiculous either and looks to be a nice load. I load everything else but I shoot the AR too much to mess with loading for it.

Yeah, the Prvi is a pretty good deal, I think. I'm about done with my 3rd 1000 round order from Palmetto. Time to order again.
smile.gif

It is in reloadable brass cases if that makes a difference to anyone.

Or....try the 77 grain in 5.56 from Southwestammunition.com Shoots great! And they are re-loads to boot!!

I also agree on the 69 grain reman from BH. Shit always shoots great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: layinclose2hell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use 5.56 M 855 62gr FMJ -(SS109 bullet) - U.S. Military
L. C. from surplusammo.com, buy in bulk, great for plinking amongst other things. Runs better in my 1:7 than 55g.
</div></div>

I live about 40 minutes from them. Great bunch of folks. Always enjoy hearing others like doing business with them as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had no luck shooting surplus 62 grain SS109 projos in any of my 1:7 AR's (6920, SR 556, SCAR and 6600 HBAR). Groups were horrible. Had much better results with the M193 projos. </div></div>

It's not so much the 62 grain weight it's the projo IMO. I've had good results with Hornady 60 grain spire tip hollow points.