• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo for Obsidian 9?

phantasm

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2004
Earth
I've got some 147gr 9mm lying around and Im wondering if there is any issue shooting 147gr through a Glock 19 Gen 5 with an Obsidian 9? Anyone have any input?

I just tried 3 mags of the 165 stelth. I didn't have any malfunctions and it sounded great but I noticed my gun & can full of powder.

tyFmrbq.jpg

Reactions: phantasm
I just put a Rugged Obsidian 9 on my Gen 5 G19 and have shot 147gr subsonic through it both factory loaded and my hand loads. Works just fine. One thing I will warn you of though: I tried to make absolutely certain my can was tightly secured to the threaded barrel, meaning after every 5-10 shots I would grab it and torque it back down. I shot less than fifty rounds my first time out. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I hit my end cap. I called Rugged and they covered it under warranty which is awesome on their part. I since purchased the Griffin Armament Cam Lok and I cannot recommend it enough. It eliminates the need to keep checking the can and eliminates the (in my opinion) inevitable baffle/end cap strike. Had a buddy that warned me but I didn't listen. I didn't want to spend the extra money. He had done the exact same thing.
The bullets will work fine, but do yourself a huge favor and get the Cam Lok.

I just put a Rugged Obsidian 9 on my Gen 5 G19 and have shot 147gr subsonic through it both factory loaded and my hand loads. Works just fine. One thing I will warn you of though: I tried to make absolutely certain my can was tightly secured to the threaded barrel, meaning after every 5-10 shots I would grab it and torque it back down. I shot less than fifty rounds my first time out. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I hit my end cap. I called Rugged and they covered it under warranty which is awesome on their part. I since purchased the Griffin Armament Cam Lok and I cannot recommend it enough. It eliminates the need to keep checking the can and eliminates the (in my opinion) inevitable baffle/end cap strike. Had a buddy that warned me but I didn't listen. I didn't want to spend the extra money. He had done the exact same thing.
The bullets will work fine, but do yourself a huge favor and get the Cam Lok.

Man. I shot it over the weekend and suffered an end cap strike in my first 15 rounds through the silencer. Rugged sent me a new end cap. They advised to use teflon tape on the threads when securing the silencer on the host and to tighten it during use. I'll check out that cam lock thing you mentioned.

IMG_4467.jpeg

Last edited:
All the 165 I've tried leave my guns and can full of unburnt powder.

Then your doing something wrong...I've been running 165's over N340 for years...20,000+ at this point. I don't have any unburnt powder issues

Edit
I see you're talking about factory ammo. I don't shoot factory ammo but N340 and 165's are a match made in heaven

Reactions: Clayman
I typically shoot subs through my G19+Obsidian 9 but every time I try full power loads I get blasted in the face with shit.
Anyone else have this issue?

Man. I shot it over the weekend and suffered an end cap strike in my first 15 rounds through the silencer. Rugged sent me a new end cap. They advised to use teflon tape on the threads when securing the silencer on the host and to tighten it during use. I'll check out that cam lock thing you mentioned.

View attachment 7867865
Well, now you're officially a thread on suppressor owner now. Now you'll be paranoid about can tightness like everyone else that has had heavy endcap strikes. You don't need the tape (thought it will help), you just need to not tighten the can like a pussy =)

I just tried 3 mags of the 165 stelth. I didn't have any malfunctions and it sounded great but I noticed my gun & can full of powder.

tyFmrbq.jpg
Pistols do that… Short barrels (pistols) = less time for powder to burn = incomplete burn. It’s the nature of the beast for pistols and SBR’s.

Pistols do that… Short barrels (pistols) = less time for powder to burn = incomplete burn. It’s the nature of the beast for pistols and SBR’s.

You have a picture of your guns or silencers covered in stuff like that?

It was on a pcc.

I've shot many thousands of factory subs, I've never had my guns and silencers covered in unburnt powder/filler like that. It made an absolute mess, that shit was everywhere and took forever to clean.

This isn't my gun but my Scorpion looked like this after a single box of that ammo.

2gzrx9w.jpeg

You have a picture of your guns or silencers covered in stuff like that?

It was on a pcc.

I've shot many thousands of factory subs, I've never had my guns and silencers covered in unburnt powder/filler like that. It made an absolute mess, that shit was everywhere and took forever to clean.

This isn't my gun but my Scorpion looked like this after a single box of that ammo.

2gzrx9w.jpeg
When I worked at the machine gun range, we would dump powder out of the MP5SD every day after a few shooting sessions for customers. Worse than that… I don’t have pictures from back then, but I’ll check my Obsidian 45 on my SP5 when I get home. I know it’s looked like that several times after shooting pistols with it, when I pulled the end cap to put the extra baffles on/off.