• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report ammo from the box

tireys

StealthMode223
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2009
Show Me State
I do not handload ammo. Is the general consences that Hornandy probably has the best shot for shot consistancy for factory ammo? I just can't commit to handload equipment right now. I just don't have the available space and resources like a room in the basement to keep the kids out or a garage, benches. Do any of you have a buddy or someone on this site that handloads for you?

Re: ammo from the box

Depends on use and caliber. For 223 most go with Black Hills, 308 Federal Gold Medal Match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on use and caliber. For 223 most go with Black Hills, 308 Federal Gold Medal Match. </div></div>

For the most part, these will be the easiest to find. I have gotten some Lapua ammunition and have been very pleased.

I am not much of a hand-loader either (although I will probably change that now that I am getting into some more exotic ammo). What I did for my .308 and .223 bolt guns was try about 5 or 6 different types of the premium ammo, compared the results versus availability and then stocked up on the one that was best AND widely available (or available in bulk at times)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pointblank4445</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depends on use and caliber. For 223 most go with Black Hills, 308 Federal Gold Medal Match. </div></div>

For the most part, these will be the easiest to find. I have gotten some Lapua ammunition and have been very pleased.

I am not much of a hand-loader either (although I will probably change that now that I am getting into some more exotic ammo). What I did for my .308 and .223 bolt guns was try about 5 or 6 different types of the premium ammo, compared the results versus availability and then stocked up on the one that was best AND widely available (or available in bulk at times) </div></div>

Well I'm shooting primarily .223 Remington. In the past I put quite a bit of Black Hills through my rifle but that was a 16" middy upper on my AR-15. I have recently went to a 20" upper and scope setup for Longer range target shooting and varmits. I picked up 200 rnds. of Hornady 55gr. PSP and 100 rnds. of 55gr. Remington core-lokt for comparison sake. I haven't sighted in yet so thats first and I want to use some less expensive ammo to get on paper and the fine tune with the better grade ammo.

What's the twist on your 223? In my 1 in 8 223 DPMS 70-80 grain is needed, 55 gr shoots like 00 buck.

Stealth,

I have a bushmaster varminter with a 1:9 twist and have been trying different ammo/reading reviews on the ammo and twist rates. Here is some info i have found

Depending on your barrel length and the temp outside the 1:9 twist should beable to handle up yo 75gr BTHP bullets (its about 50-50 i suppose, some will shoot them well, others not so much)

my rifle really likes HP's, doesnt like V-max too much and FMJ's arent too terribly bad! I plan to try some 68gr Match HP from Black hills in my rifle/barrel shortly, ive shot some Prvi 69gr that shot through the barrel, but it wasnt very conistent (thats what you get at $10 a box though) ive also shot some 62gr silver bear HP's with decent results!

i dont see how you can go wrong with Federal, hornady or Black hills!... personally i probably wont buy hornady v-max again as it was very dissappointing! i will probably stick with the 60+gr match bullets, or the lighter 50gr JHP

hope this helps in some way!