• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo, grains and twist ratio...

Boltactionguy87

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2021
Minnesota
Hello,

I'm in the market for a .308 bolt action rifle and I have 3 boxes of 180 grain .308 win. I would like to keep this grain size but I'm new to the whole what twist rate works thing. I hunt and I like to hit targets from time to time. I would like my .308 to be my long mid range rifle but is 180 grain too much? Been trying to find a pointed 180 grain but so far no success. Also what twist rate works best?? I've read a 1:11 is good? Tikka T3X. I think Winchesters Model 70 has a 1:10 twist rate?

I have guns that can reach out there just they're smaller is all. My last .308 was a Savage and I was given little info about it. It said model 10 but had the axis synthetic stalk??? I don't know. Hahaha. But anyways looking for info if anybody has any about this caliber grain size and what works best. Looking to reach out and touch something. I like the punching power of 180gr but I might consider dropping a little so I can have that pointed round for extra legs. I know most will say go shoot and find out i don't have the budget to buy both and go shoot.

Indoor ranges dont have the distance im going to be shooting out to. Plus at gunstores ranges I don't like to shoot a gun unless I am absolutely sure I am going purchase that gun. Just kind of a pet peeve I've always had.

Question on Ammo.
Does anybody know somebody who loads or reloads 156 grain 6.5x55 swede?? I bought a 1911 Gustov Swedish Mauser and I'm looking for that grain specifically. I was reading and was told that round helped make that gun. I know of an FFL dealer if needed to make the sale if thats allowed here. Im a brand new member.

Hornady 180 gr SST have a ballistic tip and Berger 180 gr Elite Hunter have a narrow meplat. Both plenty pointy to go long

Reactions: Boltactionguy87
To me, 180 grain is pretty much the upper limit of what I use for my .308 winchester (Sako TRG 1:11 twist factory barrel). My go to bullets for long range target work is Lapua Scenar L 175 grain or Sierra Matchkings 175 grain, they shoot amazing and is easy to find at dealers around here.
If you want something that crosses over as both a hunting bullet and a target bullet, the Hornady SST or ELD-X should be just the ticket. I used to shoot the older Hornady A-Max 178 grain bullet and had great results, a friend of mine shot a big elk with that bullet too, so it works.

Your Carl Gustaf Mauser should work with most bullet weights, but keep in mind that it is an older rifle and dont go too crazy if you start to reload for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input gents. Helps me with my next purchase. The reason I was looking for a 155 or 156 is because I already have a 6.5 creedmoor with 140 grain. 147 is just too hard to find and since all these stores are price gauging the hell out of ammo last box I saw was $60 bucks and that was 3 months ago. Those Hornady set 180 and Berger Elite I will look for. I like options for hunting. Hahahaha. Makes it more enjoyable.

Thanks for all the input gents. Helps me with my next purchase. The reason I was looking for a 155 or 156 is because I already have a 6.5 creedmoor with 140 grain. 147 is just too hard to find and since all these stores are price gauging the hell out of ammo last box I saw was $60 bucks and that was 3 months ago. Those Hornady set 180 and Berger Elite I will look for. I like options for hunting. Hahahaha. Makes it more enjoyable.

I have no idea on what 6.5x55 ammo is available in the States but something in the 130 grain realm might be something to look for? A guy at the gunrange here shoots a lot of Norma 120 grain FMJ in his Mauser C96 and it shoots good with them.

Reactions: Boltactionguy87