• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo Log (How Much?)

D_mantley

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2019
Louisiana
What is the best way to keep up with how much ammo you have on hand? I have tried keeping track on paper but after I shoot it gets inaccurate. Other words it’s sort of hard to keep up with. I have .50 cal ammo cans I keep my ammo in and keep it separated so it’s easier to know what I have and how much, but was wondering if you guys had any other Method.

Attachments

• 60EF868E-E188-4371-808B-50EC21D38EB2.jpeg
    60EF868E-E188-4371-808B-50EC21D38EB2.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 128
I write the particulars and amounts on fresh cans with blue painters tape and a sharpie. I keep a running count on a 3x5 index card or post-it note inside the can for cans I'm using.

I also keep any pertinent ballistic info on a 3x5 card inside the can for long range ammo.

i keep x amount in reserve of each caliber, for zombies or similar emergencies.
i have a smaller amount that is "buy to shoot" or "shoot and replace" which is easier to keep track of.
so far, i have not had to touch the reserves, but i am starting to think about shooting some of it vs being exploited by the current market.

Gun tracker app has an ammo stash tab.
Each gun you have in the app has a rounds fired tab that will deduct it from your stash or.you can deduct it manually. It can also export an excell spread sheet.
Gun tracker has space all your gun info as well as 3 photos and notes.

Gun tracker app has an ammo stash tab.
Each gun you have in the app has a rounds fired tab that will deduct it from your stash or.you can deduct it manually. It can also export an excell spread sheet.
Gun tracker has space all your gun info as well as 3 photos and notes.
using this app seems like a bad idea for many reasons.

Best way is to have reserves that you don't touch. Then you know exactly how much you have in THOSE reserves. Then your range stuff can be misc. and you just buy more and shoot when you feel like it, so you don't worry so much about that ammo, but you always know how much you have on-hand in your reserve stocks for SHTF. It doesn't go bad...You don't have to rotate it...It's not MRE's. 👍🏼

Honestly, there is a good case to be made for lacquered Ammo for your permanent stash too. Old 276 Pedersen ammo was waxed and it still fires just fine even though it was from the late 20’s/early 30’s. The wax seems to have preserved the ammo.

Any ammo stored propperly will not have issues. Keep it dry and clean and it will last hundreds of years. The only real risk is the nitro breaking down over time, but propperly stored in a sealed cartridge it should not be an issue.

Honestly, there is a good case to be made for lacquered Ammo for your permanent stash too. Old 276 Pedersen ammo was waxed and it still fires just fine even though it was from the late 20’s/early 30’s. The wax seems to have preserved the ammo.
I can't remember how many rounds of steel cased Tula 223 JHP that I have sitting around. You're right, for SHTF, brass or steel won't matter, as long as you got a good quality barrel with at 5.56 stamped chamber...Let it eat! That's why all of my AR's that are chambered for it, are stamped 5.56 NATO... And not .223 Rem or .223 Wylde. I've shot thousands of rounds of steel cased Wolf and Tula, and never a single issue, and have pretty damn decent accuracy with it (I don't buy cheap guns, or use cheap parts for builds). Not even a single FTF. I have had FTF issues with PMC brass .223, which is why I haven't shot that stuff in over a decade.

I have an "emergency stash" that is put away separate, and has enough for me to outfit my family. No ammo is ever removed from this.

I have a "home defense stash" that is essentially long-term stored stuff that is rotated and replenished at certain intervals, but has enough to last 10 years due to my foreseeing crunches like this.

I don't have an accurate count of range ammo. It gets shot and reloaded for as needed.

I also have my "I knew this shit was going to happen" reloading stash that would attract government attention due to the crater I'd leave if my house ever caught fire.

Store your stuff correctly and it will outlast you. Just shot a box of .357 that dad and I loaded back in 1987. No sealants or waxes, just kept dry and out of the heat. The girls and I shot some CCI mini-mags last year that were purchased in 1972. No issues with either.

Excel spreadsheet.

I count everything the first of the year and verify the totals, if I buy more, I add to the totals and I keep a shooting log of what I shoot so I can subtract it from my totals when I get home.

Helps me to keep track of how many rounds I have through a particular barrel too.

What is the best way to keep up with how much ammo you have on hand? I have tried keeping track on paper but after I shoot it gets inaccurate. Other words it’s sort of hard to keep up with. I have .50 cal ammo cans I keep my ammo in and keep it separated so it’s easier to know what I have and how much, but was wondering if you guys had any other Method.
Show off. Nice stash. I'm jealous.

Reactions: Genin

Create a “working can” for each different type. Anything in that can doesn’t count. Top it off from your cases when it gets low. That allows you to only manage cases and not individual rounds

or if your so lucky have your family weigh and categorize your ammo for you forcing them to keep track of what you have scattered across 4 states all while you are enjoying your plunder at the range receiving coded phone texts on the statue of your precious ammo or what ever .

Reactions: theLBC
Separate into 2 stacks. a stash and a shoot.

The stash is bulk quantities like 1k, 2k, etc. stash that away.

The shoot pile is a working pile depending on how much you want to budget for shooting say 50-200.

You'll have the stash plus whatever is on hand in the shoot pile.

Reactions: camocorvette
Put together an Excel spreadsheet. Take inventory and then ALWAYS update after you shoot. Been doing it this way for years and never am off.

Phone apps, etc are a poor way to do it unless you don't mind the data being on some server somewhere.

I keep an excel spreadsheet of ammo but have a shelf in the ammo locker that is not tracked. everything going into the locker is logged. Once a case is opened it’s moved to the in use shelf and removed from excel. This way I’m only tracking when new cases arrive or get opened and placed in use. Anything less than a case is incidental.

Best way is to have reserves that you don't touch. Then you know exactly how much you have in THOSE reserves. Then your range stuff can be misc. and you just buy more and shoot when you feel like it, so you don't worry so much about that ammo, but you always know how much you have on-hand in your reserve stocks for SHTF. It doesn't go bad...You don't have to rotate it...It's not MRE's. 👍🏼
Set 300 rounds aside for combat shtf situation ; u might set 200 rounds aside for hunting application then stash another 500 rounds of the same thing else were

I keep an excel spreadsheet which lists each caliber followed by bullet weight of each caliber. Then I just add to it when I buy more or subtract what I shoot. All my ammo is kept in labeled cans and sorted accordingly so it's easy.

If I can find a box of ammo somewhere in the caliber I want to shoot I use it.. otherwise I buy some. I do have a few cases of 5.56 silver bear and plenty of components should I want to load a few k more. Sad, I know.

I have two separate processes. One I keep a spreadsheet with the ammo I purchase, from where, and the price. In times like this it feels good to see that the ammo has appreciated in value and I giggle that I don't have to pay the current prices. Second, I have several sets of ammo cans. Some for ammo, some for empty brass, and others for bullets. In the picture below, beside the pink stickers which will come off once I camo paint the cans in alignment with their contents, you will see a black circle. Those are NFC stickers which are made to be in contact with metal. I can store up to 888 bytes of information which can be read and written with any modern smart phone with a free app like NFC Tools for android or iPhone. You can then update the info as you use your ammo. I have used the cans to validate my spreadsheet. I hope that gives you some good ideas.
20210120_212552.jpg
NFC Tools_LI.jpg

Reactions: Aftermath
For contingency/long term storage ammo, a 3x5 notecard stored inside with ammo count. Reloads are easy as the boxes are all 100 count. When the number of reloads gets low, make some more. For powders and projectiles, I keep an excel file on google drive so on those rare occasions I see product on the shelves I can reference at home on-hand quantities via my phone and only buy what I need. Super handy for powder.

Seriously. Why not? If I wrote everything on my hand I would wash it off.

I have no ammo, or guns for that matter. Sold all of it. An inventory control system is lost on me.

Reactions: Aftermath
Just know that google is very anti bill of rights, especially 2A. They are also very friendly with our government and not so friendly with you. Our government also happens to be very anti bill of rights right now.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Just know that google is very anti bill of rights, especially 2A. They are also very friendly with our government and not so friendly with you. Our government also happens to be very anti bill of rights right now.
Lol, paranoid much? Its not illegal to have bullets yet.

Google doc and drive is pretty benign. Not that they couldnt. But can you imagine the ramifications if it came to light they were accessing and using individual documents on your personal drive. I mean there are important people and whole companies that use it as a platform.

I use an Excel file. One tab per caliber, organized by application (SHTF vs Range vs HD), type (FMJ vs HP vs whatever), bullet weight, and manufacturer. Each tab has one or to formula cells to track total amounts by Application. There's a Summary tab that has links to all the other tabs and formulas for overall totals. The ammo itself lives in .30 and .50 ammo cans.

I sometimes forget to deduct rounds when I get home from the range, but it gets caught up and accurate again when a can is emptied.