• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo options

Josht1985

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2021
Odessa, TX
I have a rpr rimfire and a savage mkII, both intended for multiple types of competition. Benchrest, nrl22, f-minus, and family competition on the range. I've always been one to strive for the best accuracy on the range, and I know both of these rifles can be shooters with consistent ammo. And by that, I'm meaning few flyers. It seems like the 4-5 dollar a box stuff is great for plinking, but throws a flyer ever 8-15 rounds, or more depending on which ammo. So, I've come to the fountain of knowledge to ask to compile a list, a list of .22lr that you believe is the most consistently loaded. I know true accuracy is going to come down to lot testing, but I can't even decide where to start. I know this is probably poking a hornets nest, but I've been looking for weeks for a comprehensive list of what ammo people shoot in .22lr competition and can't seem to find it. My hope is it can be done here. If you have load data and target pics of groups, post those too. Let's all stir the pot and see what kind of soup we get.

Compare for y'erself

Reactions: Ravenworks
Compare for y'erself

Well, I feel like a jackaloon. Thank you for this though.

I have a rpr rimfire and a savage mkII, both intended for multiple types of competition. Benchrest, nrl22, f-minus, and family competition on the range. I've always been one to strive for the best accuracy on the range, and I know both of these rifles can be shooters with consistent ammo. And by that, I'm meaning few flyers. It seems like the 4-5 dollar a box stuff is great for plinking, but throws a flyer ever 8-15 rounds, or more depending on which ammo. So, I've come to the fountain of knowledge to ask to compile a list, a list of .22lr that you believe is the most consistently loaded. I know true accuracy is going to come down to lot testing, but I can't even decide where to start. I know this is probably poking a hornets nest, but I've been looking for weeks for a comprehensive list of what ammo people shoot in .22lr competition and can't seem to find it. My hope is it can be done here. If you have load data and target pics of groups, post those too. Let's all stir the pot and see what kind of soup we get.
Here's some more that might help:

22LR Cartridge Test Results.jpg

Reactions: 338dude
The first thing you need to know, is what shoots in other's gun may not shoot in your gun's. No bulk ammo is going to be consistent. IMO CCI SV is the bottom place to start. Next step up is the ( non bulk ammo) lower end SK, Wolf, Eley, RWS, and Norma, etc.. Next up is the next level SK Biathlon, Rilfe match, Long Range. Eley Club, Wolf match extra. The top level will be Eley Match and Tennex, Lapua ammo, RWS 50, 100. Most of the time the higher the price, the better it shoots.
Get what ammo you can find, and see how it shoots. You never know what your gun will shoot. I have one lot of CCI SV that shoots very well out to 400yds.

In my gun's, for long range matches, I use SK Biathlon, and Eley Club.

If you can afford to buy a case for around $1,250, the Lapua test center cannot be beaten. They will test various lots of center x and other ammo if you choose. The report out is super clear on who the winners are at 50m and 100m. I have bought 4 cases for our match ammo in the last year from them. 2 for my Vudoo, 1 for my super grade Kidd, and 1 for my daughter’s b14r.

I have 3 cases of Eley and 1 case of Wolf for when I played the 22lr lot lottery, and did not win. I’m keeping them for a rainy day, in case I need to trade somewhere down the line.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Good info above.
to put it simply, don’t waste time money and effort on any current production domestic ammo.
eley in the past was always king of the hill, but has been dethroned recently by lapua.
lapua,SK,eley,and rws are the brands to explore.
I myself put a self imposed cost limit of $10 per box ( I will likely have to increase that due to supply/demand and inflation)
at my skill level, I have decided middle of the road ( low to mid range eley, the SK line) is a good balance of performance and price.

So, last night I went through ammoseek.com manufacturers and put together a list of what I deemed all possible options. Qualifications for possible options were, velocities between 1050 and 1150 fps, and lead, non-hp projectile. I'm going to buy a couple boxes of each option I feel is suitable to my budget and begin testing. This is going to leave out the high end eley and all lapua. I might get a couple boxes of eley match and lapua centerX if I can't find anything that, I feel, is what I'm looking for. I've got a long road ahead on this, but it'll be fun and interesting. As a side note, I've already tried the browning pro stuff, it is horrible.

To each his own. My time is more important to me at this point in my life. I prefer to outsource when there is a superior product. Also, writing off one ammo type because one lot was no good assumes that there is no material lot to lot variations. Guess what? There is.

My Vudoo V22 results shown below. Two different lots at 100m. The bottom group is 50% larger than the top group. This is from the test center when my rifle was there last fall. The rifle is a hammer.

Attachments

• 50CF78F6-6DF3-478F-A34F-67D5BE72FB39.jpeg
    50CF78F6-6DF3-478F-A34F-67D5BE72FB39.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 64
Lapua CenterX is the best bang for buck in my rifle.

This test has been on the internet for quite some time now. I believe I saw it or one just like it several years ago. For the most part it's useless information! What it does show is that " the cream always rises to the top" Eley,Lapua and RWS. Everything else is just 22ammo.
Yeah I think the sub-MOA CCI SV alone on that list made me disregard it. No way will that stuff hold sub-MOA at 100 over a full box.

At 100 yards the CCI SV aggregate spread was well over 1 inch.
It averaged 1 inch at 100 yards and as I said, averaging hides problems.

AM-JKLVdQcOmJAqKWWUzDvpUtFbRBqy8_j89E_fwtURFiod_r5q6vcVjwYIn1wxh5iJe07rUQczlTnA7xrDT48GoLqmZlPsM7DkPishXzWhwgvXQSBf2-ofA9ajfeDTXu294zM2nlugK2AC6lADnry9M0jk1=w496-h581-no

Another 25 shots and the aggregate would likely be 2 to 2.25 inches.
Small sample sizes allow for incorrect conclusions.
Averaging groups is useless when the groups are shifting relative to point of aim.

Try using CCI SV for score and let us know if it does the job.
Will it punch center or wander off randomly?

Last edited:
Those are average group numbers? Yeesh yeah not a very useful measure if every shot counts.