• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo price gouging

Davidu

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2020
I’m all for capitalism. I’ve been tracking the ammo prices on Gun Broker that are available to bid on and I have no heartburn for those folks.
But, I’m not going to forget the retailers that are pricing their ammo based on Gun Broker bidding ceilings.
I’ll make it a point to buy from other retailers once ammo stock “normalizes”

Attachments

• 1931CDB3-2AB3-45D5-BB8F-165833B60095.png
    1931CDB3-2AB3-45D5-BB8F-165833B60095.png
    229.8 KB · Views: 385
This thread has been recently done.....

Also, SG ammo have been pretty good over the years and I think an accusation of price gouging is unwarranted. I've bought from them when ammo prices were in the toilet and Sam (Sam Gabbert) was just trying to hold on. I would be willing to bet that his costs have gone up significantly and he is still only marking up a small percentage. He definitely doesn't operate like Optics Planet or CTD......

I was looking for a thread regarding ammo prices to reply to rather than start a new one. Guess I missed it
I don’t believe for a minute manufacturers have substantially raised their prices as I’ve found no huge raw material shortages. Raising prices due to low inventory is pretty classic price gouging.
That’s just my opinion
We will see how other retailers price their ammo when supply returns.

Reactions: Baron23
Cheaper than Dirt🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Doc

Last edited:
Yet another thread from folk that possibly didn't stock up hugely when "Buy More Ammo" was a cheap, fun, affordable, social thing to do and are now whining about prices when there is a shortage?

Biden gets in and happens to be able to pass laws.....
You'll be wishing you could get ammo at today's prices.

Nobody’s whining except you. I’ve simply stated how I’m going to deal with the current situation.

It's economics. Raising prices due to low inventory is designed not only to maintain profits, but to return equilibrium. The prices will continue to rise so long as demand exceeds supply. Right now vendors can hardly get ammo, let alone keep any on their shelves. I haven't even seen 6.8 SPC online since maybe May or June. Eventually the prices will increase to a point where certain consumers will not purchase and will lessen the demand. Right now demand has been inflated from COVID and the election. It's speculation when demand will drop to meet supply again, reaching equilibrium. We've been in a surplus for the last few years and we have had record low prices on ammo. You say you are all for capitalism...well, this is capitalism. It seems like gouging (and in some cases it probably is (GB)) but if prices were at "normal" you would have even less of a chance of finding what you wanted than you do at the inflated prices.

Cheaper than Dirt🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Doc

Dirt has gotten very expensive too I guess :ROFLMAO: I'm glad I got my landscaping done before this all hit...

I was looking for a thread regarding ammo prices to reply to rather than start a new one. Guess I missed it
I don’t believe for a minute manufacturers have substantially raised their prices as I’ve found no huge raw material shortages. Raising prices due to low inventory is pretty classic price gouging.
That’s just my opinion
We will see how other retailers price their ammo when supply returns.
It’s only a guess and I doubt we’ll ever see evidence to prove it, but I suspect the metals manufacturers are the ones gouging. Conversly, they run feast/famine cycles as well. If it is them, everyone that markets what becomes the finished product puts their markup on it, all the way up the supply chain.

Hell, it wasn’t that long ago that I was buying Federal 556 440 rounds in a can for $125.00 delivered, after rebate.

It's economics. Raising prices due to low inventory is designed not only to maintain profits, but to return equilibrium. The prices will continue to rise so long as demand exceeds supply.

Just because it's true doesn't mean I have to like it or I can't bitch about it.

It's almost comical, every 3-4 years I'm faced with a minor inconvenience of finding ammo/primers/whatever and paying an increased price, and how quickly everyone forgets once the stocks are stable again.

Just because it's true doesn't mean I have to like it or I can't bitch about it.

It's almost comical, every 3-4 years I'm faced with a minor inconvenience of finding ammo/primers/whatever and paying an increased price, and how quickly everyone forgets once the stocks are stable again.

I didn't say you had to like it nor do I care what you bitch about. I'm not hurting for ammo but I'm always buying so it affects me as well. It is what it is. I'm not rubbing anyone's nose in it by stating that that it is more than just "gouging", it's basic economics. Even if material prices were normal, prices would still go up based on supply and demand principles. My post wasn't meant to be personal, if that's how you took it.

I've watched ammo pop up at old prices and disappear before I can type my login to the website. If ammo prices were cheap from retailers, people would buy only to flip it on gunbroker themselves at higher prices. No reason for retailers to enable that situation.

I didn't say you had to like it nor do I care what you bitch about. I'm not hurting for ammo but I'm always buying so it affects me as well. It is what it is. I'm not rubbing anyone's nose in it by stating that that it is more than just "gouging", it's basic economics. Even if material prices were normal, prices would still go up based on supply and demand principles. My post wasn't meant to be personal, if that's how you took it.

You misunderstand me - I agree with your post, and I am not offended. I was being facetious.

We need something to bitch about or we'll get bored.

My point is simply that even though I have no control over how ammo is priced, I do have a choice where I spend my money.
I’ve run my own business for 44 years and there have been times when I could have taken advantage of supply issues. There was never a possibility there wouldn’t be anymore of that item. It was just a matter of time. I’d call my clients and let them know there was a shortage and give everyone a chance to buy equitable portions at “normal” prices. Personally, my hats off to those that price their ammo “fairly” even though I don’t get there in time.
I’ll just choose to purchase ammo from them in the future. A bit of loyalty. That’s all

Reactions: Samuel Whittemore
That’s just my opinion

You have no way of knowing the cost of ammunition production.

I don't know what kind of fucking business you owned, but I sure as hell know it wasn't a manufacturing business.

Raw materials are far from the only fucking factor in ammunition pricing. Based on how little material is in each round, I'm going to guess based on my nearly 30 years of manufacturing experience that materials are the smallest cost factor in the price.

Wrong
Read my post and you’d know that’s BS
Why do folks have to comment about the poster?
oh yeah.

It’s only a guess and I doubt we’ll ever see evidence to prove it, but I suspect the metals manufacturers are the ones gouging.

I'm in a business that consumes significant amounts of carbon steel, stainless steel, copper, and aluminum and I know exactly what we pay for those materials.

You're wrong.

Reactions: E. Bryant
My point is simply that even though I have no control over how ammo is priced, I do have a choice where I spend my money.
I’ve run my own business for 44 years and there have been times when I could have taken advantage of supply issues. There was never a possibility there wouldn’t be anymore of that item. It was just a matter of time. I’d call my clients and let them know there was a shortage and give everyone a chance to buy equitable portions at “normal” prices. Personally, my hats off to those that price their ammo “fairly” even though I don’t get there in time.
I’ll just choose to purchase ammo from them in the future. A bit of loyalty. That’s all

You ever made a decent profit in the stock market or heaven forbid a home run? You sold your house significantly under market value because you wanted to be nice?

Price gouging as unappealing as it seems helps return things to normalcy faster. It sends market signals to increase production. Price gouging has brought more ammo to market because people may want to sell their ammo they've bought in the past.

Ammo is an asset, don't blame people for getting top dollar for what they have. If you've been successful in life, you've done it yourself.

quit bitchin and start buying what you can

Cause they are going to tax you into oblivion when the orange man speed bump is out of the way

Better screw yer heads on straight post-haste.

Just one example

"Should the government give you money because you're shit-worthless? Experts say yes!"

• Angry
Reactions: 308pirate
Maybe there’s a literacy problem?
or more likely,
I’ve failed to make my point!
Never mind
I’m just not going to buy ammo from certain retailers
Game Day’s on
Adios

Maybe there’s a literacy problem?
or more likely,
I’ve failed to make my point!
Never mind
I’m just not going to buy ammo from certain retailers
Game Day’s on
Adios

You've made your point in the fact that you either don't understand free markets or you believe you are entitled to things beneath market value.

There isn't a moral component to selling assests at market value.

Do not blame companies or people who are behaving EXACTLY like you have done in the past.

Cheaper than Dirt🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

Doc

Sweet baby Jesus.

What an ironic name for a company with their business model. I don't have anything against charging what you can for the products you sell, but it's gotten to the point where Cheaper Than Dirt has taken it to the next level.

No self respecting firearms enthusiast buys from CTD. They sell to panicked buyers with deep pockets and minimal knowledge of what they're buying. Kind of like Cutco. Legal or not, right or wrong... I won't ever do business with them.

On another note... I just paid 10 cents a pop for pistol primers, which is about 3x more than I've ever paid before. It is what it is I guess. The times, they are a' changing.

This won’t be an issue if Biden and the liberal commies get their way since online retailers will be nonexistent.

Sweet baby Jesus.

What an ironic name for a company with their business model. I don't have anything against charging what you can for the products you sell, but it's gotten to the point where Cheaper Than Dirt has taken it to the next level.

No self respecting firearms enthusiast buys from CTD. They sell to panicked buyers with deep pockets and minimal knowledge of what they're buying. Kind of like Cutco. Legal or not, right or wrong... I won't ever do business with them.

On another note... I just paid 10 cents a pop for pistol primers, which is about 3x more than I've ever paid before. It is what it is I guess. The times, they are a' changing.

Our Low Price $3,608.10

lol_vladimir_putin.gif

SGammo has always been good to go. During Sandy Hook they were not gouging. I've seen stupid pricing everywhere.

I saw S&B 140gr FMJ going for $2 a round.

Reactions: SamsonSimpson
In 20 years of gun shit shopping, CTD has NEVER been cheap. Never. I don't think I have ever bought anything from them. Pretty obvious from the start that their business model is to just throw marketing at everything and charge high prices with "shipping AND handling" added at checkout.

SG Ammo has been GTG for years. I'm not sure $1.95/round for factory match ammo is gouging. Seems fair market price right now. IF I was living in 2019, it might be a bit high. But I'm all caught up to November 2020 right after the gun grabbing Democrat won the presidency. I'm only hoping I can actually buy ammo online in six months. Let alone at $1.95/round for decent ammo. Don't get me wrong, I don't like higher prices but I live in the real world. Gonna go check Zillo to see what my house is worth. The market it white hot around here right now. 🤠

Thanks for the last two posts. Sound like I need to apologize to SGammo. Their ammo simply popped up this morning on my Ammoseek alert as the only one with 6.5 CM ELD match. It was the highest retailer price I have seen. I’ve purchased ammo from them before during normal times. I don’t recall getting an email from them concerning future shortages, but maybe I did

Reactions: Ruger1300
No hard feelings and if I came off as that guy I apologise. In his weekly emails before things went nuts he does a couple paragraph write up were he kept saying things are at the bottom buy now. I bought as I could afford and wish I had bought more.

No hard feelings and if I came off as that guy I apologise. In his weekly emails before things went nuts he does a couple paragraph write up were he kept saying things are at the bottom buy now. I bought as I could afford and wish I had bought more.
I remember those. I stocked up as much as I could. I lived in the barracks when prices were the lowest so it was hard for me to order. I sent a couple cases to my old roommate. 99% of my business was through SGammo.

For what it's worth I also feel like TargetSports has been fair this entire time. I was still buying at normal prices off them while others had already raised prices after the COVID nonsense started. Their prices are higher now, but still fair given their lack of stock and pricing of similar vendors and I feel they held off as long as they possibly could. When they started running out of stock, they took care of their Prime members by offering early notification of back in stock items. I've had the opportunity to buy 9mm, .45, .223, etc. before they went back out of stock (usually within 30 minutes after getting notified) but have passed because of the pricing. I've bought plenty of 22lr since this started. Everything from Eley, CCI SV, and Lapua has popped up in stock the last few weeks. Regardless, they will still have my business. Prices are high everywhere but if you are looking for "fair" you should keep them in mind after this is over.

Thanks again for the last several posts. Appreciate helpful and civil responses. I’ll definitely use SGammo in the future. Just a knee jerk reaction to these trying times.

I'm in a business that consumes significant amounts of carbon steel, stainless steel, copper, and aluminum and I know exactly what we pay for those materials.

You're wrong.
I’m in the power semiconductor market. We use many of these metals and then some. Semiconductors are not mean nasty black rifles or ammunition, but we have seen increase in raw materials as well. Not to the same extent as ammunition, but increases nevertheless.

I’ll take your comment under advice, but I am very confident that the increases are real. As far as being “wrong”, I think it boils down to what one’s specific experience is. If you buy those materials for construction/large fixtures, you are probably buying different types/grades than what we are.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I don’t know why y’all are so worried. Beto O’ fake Mexican will personally send people to your address with ammo. You just gotta have enough to persuade them to leave it.

I don't like price gouging one bit. That being said, these are difficult times and ammo (and about everything else gun related) is in short supply. I'm betting retailers are seeing huge increases in the prices they pay to their suppliers. I have always used SGAmmo as my go-to folks. Prior to the bat-stew flu, their prices were great and their service excellent. Never met the owner(s) but I doubt they are anything but good folks trying to keep the doors open. I check their website a couple times a week and rarely see any items for sale. They have got to be struggling. As for the price of the 6.5 Creedmore ammo, I was paying $29-$30 a box in "good" times. I don't see an increase of about 1/3 as unusual. If times get back to anything resembling normal, SG will continue to my my go-to.

I was "lucky" to find a private seller selling 9mm WWB for 35 cents a round a few weeks back. Grabbed 1k. Figured I could add it to the stash and not pay 1 dollar a round.

Doc

Also living within your means helps a lot also. Having some savings to bulk buy before this crap happens is also a hood financial strategy.

Doc

Reactions: M8541Reaper
I’m in the power semiconductor market. We use many of these metals and then some. Semiconductors are not mean nasty black rifles or ammunition, but we have seen increase in raw materials as well. Not to the same extent as ammunition, but increases nevertheless.

I’ll take your comment under advice, but I am very confident that the increases are real. As far as being “wrong”, I think it boils down to what one’s specific experience is. If you buy those materials for construction/large fixtures, you are probably buying different types/grades than what we are.
There's a difference between price increases and gouging.

I stand by what I said. I can see what we pay to our suppliers in our ERP system. We have seen no significant increases.

And one more thing, any business that doesn't negotiate or hedge some price stability into its material purchasing is stupid or has no purchasing power at all.

You can bet your ass the big ammo companies know how to manage their material purchasing and are not making spot buys.

Reactions: Ravenworks
I was at wallyworld today. The only ammo they had was 350 legend.

What I'm curious about is, who is actually raising the prices?

Is it the manufacturer, distributor or the retailers?

Like, is ammo still being made for 'pre panic' prices at the manufacturer or has the manufacturer just stuck a big price tag on it as they can't keep up?

Or is it the retailers still getting ammo they would sell for 32 cents a round (or whatever) and then they decide to make it $1/round because it sells so fast?

Give me that answer and I'll know who to be unhappy with.

Regardless, the people who I'm pissed at are all those faggots stockpiling ammo that never actually fucking shoot it, or go shoot 20 rounds every other month. Meanwhile, people like me who shoot 3-4+ times a week now cant fucking have ammo to replenish all of the training stock.

The one silver lining is, apparently if I figure out who the non shooting stockpilers are, it'll be an easy exercise to go and take all of their ammo from them at some point without much in the ways of a fight as they don't even know how to move their fatbody and shoot.

I envision most of them like the Jabba scene out of RoTJ where its Jabba laying in his palace, but ontop of ammo crates.

Last edited:
What I'm curious about is, who is actually raising the prices?

Is it the manufacturer, distributor or the retailers?

Like, is ammo still being made for 'pre panic' prices at the manufacturer or has the manufacturer just stuck a big price tag on it as they can't keep up?

Or is it the retailers still getting ammo they would sell for 32 cents a round (or whatever) and then they decide to make it $1/round because it sells so fast?

Give me that answer and I'll know who to be unhappy with.
No one anywhere along the supply chain is going to say willingly.