• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo question

dave1894

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2007
IRAQ
I have a fellow squad leader who is assigned to the M24 who says it's ok to fire 240 machine gun ammo through the M24 saying the barrel is made so you can do that if you have to. Having an ammo shortage here
mad.gif
I told him that maybe if you have to than it was ok but why do it unless you have to? The barrel life is going to be cut in half shooting that ammo through it as much as he is... Not only that he was using it to zero the weapon... Yea I know...

Anyways, can someone please fill me in a little more on this so I can explain to him with maybe why he should not be using machine gun ammo in place of match grade. And the biggest being should you shoot non match grade through a barrel like that...

Tango Mike,
Lw

Re: Ammo question

I was under the impression that such ammo would do no damage to the gun, but simply be innacurate? It is brass cased isnt it?

Yes it's brass cased. I was told that shooting anything not match grade through it is bad.

Lw

I think it would work, but since it is standard MG ammo, it certainly would not shoot like dedicated match/sniper ammo, but would shoot more accurately than out of an M240; however, since the tollerences are not as high on MG ammo (to ensure reliability in the weapon on full auto), my guess is that you would start wearing out the throat on the M24 chamber more quickly.

Sorry guys I just have to put in my 2 cents. Being 22years and retired Navy, don't hold that against me, but your M240 shoots 7.62mm Ball ammo. It's not going to Hurt your M24 one bit, It's just not Match grade ammo. Lake City Just links the same ball ammo as they do for the clipped in bandelier ammo. 240rds in one can and 200 linked in the other. This old salt shot them all, M14, M25, M60, M240 (which I really love the reduced recoil)Bottom line it won't hurt it. It just won't shoot as good. She'll be straight within 4-600 yds. But after that.......
Be safe,

147 grain NATO spec ball has produced MOA or less groups out of my rifle at 100 yards. In fact, that's what I zeroed mine with because I had it and I didn't want to waste my match kings getting on the paper. It won't damage an M24 at all.

M-80 NATO Ball cartidges are also made in an 'overhead fire' variant, as linked ammo for M-60/M-240 usage.

This 'For Overhead Fire" message is marked on the ammo can, and indicates it is made to a spec which permits less dispersion at range.

It is intended for antiaircraft fire applications, and gunship, etc., applications.

Of all the non-match ammo versions, it is the most preferable as a field expedient replacement for M-118/M-852 match ammunition variants. No harm will accrue from its usage, but it's not as accurate as the match loads, and the 147/149gr projectile will not have as much velocity persistence at the longer distances where the match loads are designed to excell.

Greg