• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo Recommendations for Precision Rifle (.308, 1 in 10 twist)

HumbleEinstein

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2013
Virginia
I'm picking up my first precision rifle soon. The barrel and action is a Rem 700 SPS AAC-SD .308 1 in 10 twist.

1) What currently available types of match ammo should I get for accuracy testing? I'm hoping to settle on one for long time, so I don't want to break the bank.

2) Also, what type of cheaper ammo should I use for break-in and plinking?

Specific on recommended would be appreciated. Links to in stock deals would be even more appreciated. I don't have the time or space to reload, so it will be all factory ammo for this gun. Much thanks.

CopperCreek\
Federal Gold Medal Match 175
Black Hills
DTA
CorBon
Asym
Really any of the quality match offerings

If you want cheaper match grade ammo the 168s are a bit cheaper.. you can find that close to $1.00 a round

I have a SPS Tactical AAC-SD and no factory load has come close to the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 SMK (GM308M). Only tricky part is finding it. For 300-400 yards its awesome. The only other load that I am optimistic about is the Lapua Scenar 155. I hopefully will be trying that out soon....but damn it's expensive.

I have a SPS Tactical AAC-SD and no factory load has come close to the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 SMK (GM308M). Only tricky part is finding it. For 300-400 yards its awesome. The only other load that I am optimistic about is the Lapua Scenar 155. I hopefully will be trying that out soon....but damn it's expensive.

What kind of group sizes are you getting with the Federal Gold Medal Match 168? What have you been getting with other factory loads?

personally haven't had great luck any of the BTHP offerings but group size is cut by 30% with Hornaday AMax/TAP

What kind of group sizes are you getting with the Federal Gold Medal Match 168? What have you been getting with other factory loads?

I've had one 3-shot group that measured exactly 1/2" at 100 yards. But I think luck was on my side there..the first shot was even my cold (clean) bore shot. On average though, I get 3/4 MOA from the GM308M when I do my part. The S&B 168 HPBT round is very accurate too out of my gun.

The top 3 left of center are Hornady Superformance Match 168gr @ 200yds. Made slight adjustment which is the 4th round center. The bottom 2 are Federal Gold Medal Match 168. same rifle, same distance, But 3in low. Both are excellent rounds for the 308 but I like the flatter round for longer distances to help cover my mistakes in distances. IMAG0968-1.jpg

Try the Hornady 178HPBTs, they shoot great in my 10 twist 700. Not sure if Hornady loads these for the nonreloader, though.

Try the Hornady 178HPBTs, they shoot great in my 10 twist 700. Not sure if Hornady loads these for the nonreloader, though.

They do, in both Match and Superformance Match form.

The Match is still 'temporarily suspended', the Superformance Match is being manufactured currently.

Your best bet is to buy one box (20 rnds) each of a few different types such as FGMM 175s/168s, Black Hills 175s/168s, CorBon 190s/175s, Hornady 178 BTHPs, or Hornady 168 AMAX. Copper Creek and Southwest also sell match loads with SMK 175s. ASYM 175s and some of the Lapua Scenar offerings are very high quality, but also very expensive. Sight in with whatever you have, then shoot a couple 5-shot groups with each at 100 yd and let the rifle tell you what it prefers.

Unfortunately, your bottom line will be whatever you can actually find in stock. However, if you diligently check at some of the regular online vendors such as Midway USA, ABLE Ammo, Palmetto State Armory, Cheaper Than Dirt, etc., you can usually find ammo in stock without too much trouble. Alternatively, you can go to the website here, select your caliber and see what's available:

GunBot 17hmr rimfire ammo

humble if you list were you are, you just might get someone close to help.

I have a M700 in .308 sps myself and I get great performance from 2 factory loads, Hornady 168gr match grade hollow points and Remington 168gr match grade hollow points (would choose Hornday over Remington if you can find it). Just putting this out there though I have never shot either load past 1000m, the only round that I have sent past that was M118 (Military issue 175gr hollow point, that uses a sierra projectile I believe).

Lately I have heard some very good things about Laupa's factory ammo from some folks who I did not expect to ever compliment a factory ammo.

Do not worry about "break in"
Run a wet patch through your rifle followed by a couple of dry patches as they are usually dirty from the factory.
Sight in your rifle, should be able to do it in less than 5 rounds.
Clean it.
Shoot another group, no more than 5 rounds.
Clean it.
Do this a couple more times until you get to 20 or 25, then don't worry about it.

American Eagle 168 OTM load is VERY good. About 5 bucks cheaper per box than FGMM.
USA Ammo is pretty damn good to, they offer AMAX loads.

i've been shooting Silver State Armory 168s and 175s as well as Ultramax 168s lately through my stock LTR. Its all been sub moa easily so far.

FGMM is the benchmark factory ammunition for accuracy. I've run comparisons on Lapua, FGMM, Norma, HSM, Copper Creek, ASYM, Applied Ballistics, and American Eagle 168 OTM. They all shoot well in my Crusader. For the money, Norma Match is worth a try.