• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo similarity question

higginsworksforme

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Kentucky
I recently did a class with my gas gun where I collected data out to 600yd using this ammo:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/223-remington-77-grain-matchking-b-c-372/

But that stuff isn't as available as this FGMM which I'm pretty certain uses the same bullet:

https://www.federalpremium.com/rifle/gold-medal/gold-medal-sierra-matchking/11-GM223M3.html

I have 300 yards at my local range so if I try the Federal and find it to be the same out to 300 is it safe to assume I'll be ok out to 600? I have a match coming up in February and I don't want to have a bad time.

If its the same bullet and same speed you should be good to go. But...regardless you'd be better off getting a MV and running ballistics no matter what ammo and THEN confirming down range

If it is the same bullet at the same speed, there "should" be no difference.

But, if by collecting data you mean you generated drop and drift information without MV data, it is "possible" that differences at 300 y are real, but within the error of your ability to measure. You could determine that the ammunition is "equivalent" out to 300, only to realize that important differences manifest at longer ranges. Your best bet would be to collect an equivalent data set with the new ammunition and compare results. I realize that you don't have the ability to shoot out to 600y at your local range. But, absent MV data, you will be extrapolating from a potentially flawed data set.

Reactions: db2000
^^^what they said
FGMM is good ammo.
Pick this up in the PX and then you can easily collect all the data you need.

Thanks but it doesn't work on this gun. I think I'll hold out for the Garmin.
^^^what they said
FGMM is good ammo.
Pick this up in the PX and then you can easily collect all the data you need.

You can work back to your "actual" MV or "trued MV" based off your data from previous sessions.

That being said, you will need to hit the range before your next match in any event. Ammo will shift POI of zero from lot to lot, from season to season (same lot), and what not. Since you need to re-zero for the match, you will need to shoot some targets downrange to also confirm your drops.

If you have the ability to shoot good waterlines at 300/600 you can use this info to estimate "trued" MV, and skip running a chrono. A chrono will save you the hassle of setting up targets if you only have access to 100 yd range, which may be a reality if you are shooting in winter condition or something like that.

You said you collected the data at a class. Depending on the similarity of you local range to the class range, including environmental conditions the impacts could be the same even with slight velocity differences. Verify your data at you local range and then calculate the longer ranges and see if they match.

Is this your first match? Actual shooting is probably 4th or 5th on the list of concerns for a first match. Just saying…

You said you collected the data at a class. Depending on the similarity of you local range to the class range, including environmental conditions the impacts could be the same even with slight velocity differences. Verify your data at you local range and then calculate the longer ranges and see if they match.
ok this is what I had assumed was possible. I'll do it.