• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo sorting by rim DIAMETER?

Re: Ammo sorting by rim DIAMETER?

I have sorted by weight and rim thickness and I refuse to sort any more rimfire. Just sounds like the latest twist to illustrate having too much time on one's hands. Buy what your gun shoots the very best and save your time for shooting.

Yes, I've heard of it and some people in the competitive rimfire comps do it. To each his own. To me it wouldn't be worth the time/energy involved.

Eddie

Actually I thought this post was about rim thickness not diameter. Sorry Predator, haven't heard about this before. I still wouldn't spend time/energy to do it. Let us know your results.

Eddie

I must have to much time on my hands, i do sort by weight and rim thickness. I do feel it eliminates the "fliers" in a group, if it is worth it or not IDK but at the longer ranges (300) i can use all the help i can get. I sort federal auto match, dont know about the high dollar ammo if it needs sorting or not.

I am sure that each and every dimension on a .22LR has some bearing on accuracy, and that consistency is probably better than inconsistency.

I just flatly refuse to get downright obsessed with wringing that last .1MOA of accuracy out of any chambering I can't handload for. There's just so much beyond my control that playing QC for the factories seems kinda fruitless.

You can do everything right and still be totally wasting your time because a machine operator took a break and his fill-in had a bad case of the givadangs.

I don't know if you've ever worked on a factory production line, but I have, in times of utter desperation. The machines are run at process speeds that have the operators just about babbling to themselves on a good day. The money sucks, and if the operator was sharp enough to earn more doing something else, they'd be gone in a shot. They are seldom the sharpest knives in the drawer.

I took pride in my work. Nobody gave a dang that I did. Christmas Eve 2004 I got home from work around 1AM, damned near died from a heart attack, woke up from major open heart surgery and a drug induced coma in time to go home for New Year's Eve, and that was the best thing that happened to me that year.

Don't pin your hopes on factory rimfire ammo.

Greg

I'll sort by rim thickness and it actually does make a difference. Never heard of rim diameter. My thought is that the best "sort" would be for concentricity. Never tried that though.

~ Rico