• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

ammo storage

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
this isn't really reloading, but sorta along the same lines i guess since it has to do with ammo. i was just wondering how or where you guys store all your ammo and ammo reloading supplies. i dont reload as of yet but might get into it. i was planing on building a work bench in the garage, but it gets really cold out there in the winter and really hot in the summer. i was going to do some insulation to help regulate that. i don't have any room in the house to do it inside, so this is sorta my only option. right now i only have about 200 rounds so that takes up almost no room, but if i start stocking up and shooting more than one caliber, that is going to increase quickly. so any info you might be able to give me would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Re: ammo storage

I usually store all of my supplies in ammo boxes. If you buy the good ones they are VERY well sealed from weather and moisture. You can throw a rag with some oil on it in the box with items other than powder and primers. If you store for a long time you can throw some of those desiccant bags in it for moisture prevention. Just try to avoid excess temp ranges.

I've got a big sturdy box that all my equipment goes into. I load in the living room, so it gets put away after every ammo batch. The box gets stored in my son's closet (He's 3 & hasn't figured out that he wants to get into it yet). The hard components used to get stored in the same box, but now they've moved to their own boxes, usually in the garage. Powser's in a closet in the house - for temp stability.

When I want to load, I get to drag out my shooting bench/reloading table (It's a booger bench type table - google it) and then bolt my press to it with carriage bolts & wingnuts. Not too bad time wise, and it keeps the wife happy cuz it's out of sight when I'm not using it.

Finished ammo is in ammo boxes (Cabelas dry boxes, 50 cal cans, etc) in still another closet.

Moving to a bigger place soon, hope to have a dedicated "gun area"
smile.gif
It's amazing how much crap you can accumulate over the years!

I also store mind in good used military cans.They are air tight and want mositure in. That oiled rag is good idea!! Good reloading.
smile.gif

I store mine in old Army ammo cans, I have a large 50 cal one in the Garage that I forgot about for many years--like 8 or 10 and found a bunch of 55 gr PMC 5.56 ammo inside, took it to the range and it fired with no problem, still accurate as it was when it was new. I have since started keeping it in the house inside the gun safe, just in case......