• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ammo suggestion: Savage Mark II TR

fpdsniper

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Just picked up one of these:

Model: Mark II TR
Series: Mark II AccuTrigger: Yes
Sights: n/a AccuStock : No
Magazine: n/a Stock material: Wood
Barrel material: Carbon Steel Stock finish: n/a
Barrel finish: Matte Stock color: Black
Barrel color: Black Action: n/a
Available chamberings:
SKU Caliber: Rate of
Twist: Length*: Weight*: Ammo
Cap.: MSRP**:
Barrel: Overall:
25745 22 LR 16" 22" 40" 7.5 lbs 5 $469.00

Looking for a good, all around ammo for target shooting, plinking, and varmint control. Suggestions? Thanks!

Donnie

Re: Ammo suggestion: Savage Mark II TR

Congraluations on your new TR fpdsniper! I tend to stick with the .22 ammo that I can buy localy. This limits me to the Winchester, Remington, Federal & CCI brands mostly. The hands down winner is CCI HP's for my TR. The CCI & Remington sub-sonic work well in my MKII FV, but not as good in the longer barreld TR. Not bad, good groups & all at 100 yds, just not quite up to par with the HP's. I don't know the real reason for this, but I supect the extra length has something to do with it. Anyway, there are many brands of ammo avaiable & you will get many answers on what is the best. I can only say that whatever shoots well in your new Savage is the one that works the best for you. Good luck & enjoy that new rifle.

Just had my TR out for the first time today. It shot very well right out of the box with Wolf Match ammo. My range session got cut short by rain and lightening but I still had 50 rounds in including the zero at 25,50 and 100.

Give the Wolf a try and I think you'll be impressed.

My MKII loves the CCI standard velocity. Dicks usually has it for 20 to 25 a brick. I have shot a box and a half through mine and have not had one problem! Just picked up another the other day! Hopefully my MKII trainer likes it as well because I have plenty.

Appreciate the suggestions guys. I'll pick up some Wolf and Eley Sport. I see that Wolf has the Match Target grade along with the Match Extra. Is the "Extra" worth the "extra" cost? I tried some CCI Velocitors, but they didn't want to feed into the action very well.

Donnie

My Mk II (a BTV) likes Rem and Fiocchi sub sonics

You won't know until you try. Mine loves Wolf and RWS Match. Also try variety of Eley and Lapua. Then Remington Target and CCI Green Tag. Your rig will decide. Once you find the most accurate or two, stock it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You won't know until you try. Mine loves Wolf and RWS Match. Also try variety of Eley and Lapua. Then Remington Target and CCI Green Tag. Your rig will decide. Once you find the most accurate or two, stock it. </div></div>

Mine seems to like RWS subsonic the best so far. I'm still experimenting with other ammo as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fpdsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I see that Wolf has the Match Target grade along with the Match Extra. Is the "Extra" worth the "extra" cost?
Donnie</div></div>

oddly enough, the match target shot better out of my MKII bv (heavy barrel) than did the more expensive wolf extra.

I guess I am cheaper then most of you guys. I generally shoot federal lightning, and sometimes federal 711B, as well as the CCI subsonics. All are pretty accurate in my gun for the price.