• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ammo testing protocol?

jvencius

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2010
'Nooga
www.cekron.com
Since my DMR upper from Centurion should be in my grubby hands this week sometime, can anyone recommend a procedure for testing different loads? I'm curious what advantage, if any, I'd gain from shooting 8 5-shot groups vs. 4 10-shot groups or if there's another regimen that would be more efficient for verifying which load my rifle likes?

So far I have two boxes each of Hornady 75 gr. BTHP Match, 75 gr. TAP, and Federal 77 gr. SMK GMM--on Friday (payday) I'm going to order myself a box or two of ASYM 77 gr. SMK Match since Monty recommended that load specifically as being a good fit for that barrel. Does anyone have a good source for Black Hills other than Ammunitiontogo.com (had a so-so experience with them a while back) and Midway (would spend waaaaay more than a box or two of ammo if I go there)? Monty said Federal, Black Hills, and ASYM are all pretty much the cat's ass of factory-loaded match 5.56 ammo so in the name of getting a good representative sample, I'd like to try both the Mk.262 and their standard 77 gr. SMK loadings to see if my rifle likes one over the other.

FWIW, here's the "build" specs:

CMMG stripped lower (got it @ the height of the post-inauguration scare)

Colt A2 stock

Geissele SSA-E trigger (on order but should be here by the end of the week)

small hard parts (detents/springs) out of a DPMS kit (bought it at the same time as the lower)

Centurion DMR upper with a Smith Vortex

KAC 200-600 rear/Troy front BUIS

I'm still undecided on an optic and will wait until after the tax refund comes in to buy one (depending on how much we get back, that might open up some possibilities I couldn't afford right now w/o having to use the CC).

Re: ammo testing protocol?

I think we can overthink this process. Once a complex process is started, a lot of things can venture along that make it difficult to finish according to plan. This leaves us with questions about the accuracy of the results.

I think that a better plan pays less attention to the raw numbers and more to the personal impressions.

Simply shoot the rifle the way you intend to use it, paying closest attention to keeping the process 'real'. Very soon, it will become quite apparent which ammunition serves your particular needs best.

I say this after having done what you are proposing many times.

Greg

Re: ammo testing protocol?

I shoot 5 shot groups. I figure if I don't know after 5 then I probably won't know. Besides a hot barrel can effect your accuracy too. I don't think you even want to start a barrel break in discussion on here either.