• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Ammunition Question

PZCF

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2013
Marshall, MI
Im relatively new to LR shooting so my question is about ammo. Which is better for long range, 180gr or 150gr. My rifle is a Remington 700 in 30-06. This rifle is going to only be for long range target shooting. Which round shoots flatter and has a longer, straighter trajectory. I know there is also 165s and 168s amongst others but Im primarily only wanting to know between these 2. If you could also kinda explain why one is better than the others if there is more to it than it just being a flatter round. Thanks.

Re: Ammunition Question

Lighter bullets go faster/flatter, but have more wind drift and vice versa. You can't have both.

Also, you need to consider barrel twist. It needs to be able to stabilize your bullet. generally heavier bullets are longer, and need faster bullet twist to stabilize.

Not sure if you are hand loading or asking about factory ammo. If hand loading try some 155 Scenars, they have a higher BC than the 168 and 178, and much milder to shoot.

For factory, you will most likely find 168 match in Hornady and Federal.

Why, its about BC.

Most 150 and 180 you will find off the shelf is hunting ammo. You can find the 150 green box UMC but again, it may not perform as good as the 168 or the 155.

Havent gotten into hand loading.....yet. So im pretty much just looking for off the shelf. I had a guy a while back recommend superformance 150s. He said they have the highest BC of any mass produced round. Is there any truth in that, or is he just one of those people who are fixed on their own preferance and think its the best for everyone? And is that a good target round for long range?

P.S. It has a 1 in 10 twist

Thanks for the replies

if i were you, i would look into the 178 amax, or the 155 scenar. you could even run up to the 200 gr range with that much twist. also look into the federal 175's

Hornady Superformance ammo is good stuff, giving the kind of velocities and range that rival handloads. The 180's will retain velocity better than 150's and that is crucial for extended distance.

Accuracy is a factor of barrel harmonics, as each brand of ammo needs to be compatible with your specific barrel's harmonic characteristics. This means that there is some question about whether Superformance and your barrel are ideally matched. It also means that <span style="font-style: italic">best</span> accuracy may come with Superformance, and it may not.

Greg