• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP annealer firmware update locked Aztec mode

KZP

P.L.O.
Supporter
Banned !
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2017
NC
Since it's the weekend, asking here first instead of emailing AMP to see if anyone has run into this issue. Was hoping to anneal using the new auto start feature, but Aztec is now locked on my machine.

Figuring out the upgrade process and tricks was a pain in the ass, but once done, it works just fine. Had a minor issue yesterday when the AMP rebooted unexpectedly while sitting idle for 5 minutes or so ... but that's been the only glitch thus far. Did you get all the way through the confirmed upgrade process, with the new version displaying when you turn on your AMP?

Yeah, I even have the option to auto anneal cases. But when trying to go into Aztec, it says it's "locked" and won't let me use it.

Reinstalled the firmware 4 more times and it finally worked 🤷‍♂️

So FYI if you plan on updating, there is a chance you will have to repeat it many times before it's valid.

Just So you guys know. I emailed them (for totally different shit) and Alex got back to me ASAP in email. I just got my amp so I think it already is these new Aztec versions but just saying they are responsive

^^ this. Alex will get you fixed up. This is not a chyna purchase where you’re left holding a paperweight.

OP, can you close the loop here… did you get it fixed?

Just So you guys know. I emailed them (for totally different shit) and Alex got back to me ASAP in email. I just got my amp so I think it already is these new Aztec versions but just saying they are responsive
^^^ This. I got my AMP annealer on the Black Friday sale a couple of years ago, and it was DOA (turned on but that was all). I emailed the general contact address and Alex was on the phone to me within the hour (just so happened NZ's being 18 hours ahead worked out this time). I had a new unit as fast as it could be shipped.

I talked to alex today over email. He said Matt will get ahold of me tomorrow. If he can’t guide me through how to fix it. They will ship me a new one from Vegas and arrange shipment for my current unit to be shipped back to New Zealand. Very good people and yes very responsive. As far as things go it looks like if they can’t guide you through a process to fix it they will just send a replacement. May I ask how long the process took for them to get your new unit shipped? Did they have to recieved your old unit first before shipping the new unit? Or did they immediately ship a new unit and then arrange shipment for your old unit back to New Zealand? I’m trying to get an idea on how long this process will be off worse comes to worst.
They shipped mine immediately from Vegas, independent of returning the defective unit (of course, they provided a label; I do recfall there was some customs-related stuff that went with it). I don't recall exactly how long it took for the new one to arrive here (central NC), but it was as quick as I could ask. There is no way I could have improved the replacement process - it was as good as it could be. And the new annealer has been flawless.

They are shipping me a new mark 2 from Vegas and having me send my current mark 2 back to them. They said they've never seen the problem I've having. So hopefully it helpful and they figure out what went wrong. As far as updating and aztec being locked. Restart you unit and aztec will be unlocked they say. Thanks guys.
Yeah, b/c even without a pilot (which my pilot should be here next week) I was able to still at least load up Aztec in analysis mode. I didn’t need a code b/c my software was already in place

They even say on thier website that you really don’t want to run upgrades on the annealers.

The amp press is different. Thay get updates as it gets new function or developments

So, I’ll still be anxious to know if the auto start works on mine

Yeah, b/c even without a pilot (which my pilot should be here next week) I was able to still at least load up Aztec in analysis mode. I didn’t need a code b/c my software was already in place

They even say on thier website that you really don’t want to run upgrades on the annealers.

The amp press is different. Thay get updates as it gets new function or developments

So, I’ll still be anxious to know if the auto start works on mine
Ah yep, that’s a very bright red and rather clear note right there where you get their downloads.

Well, some folks also can’t resist touching something if it has a Wet Paint sign on it.

• Haha
Reactions: pucker
So help me here. I have a MKII/w Aztec and didn't know there was an "auto" function. Tried to follow the directions from their site and I don't think I have it or I can't get to it.
When I go through the setup,
Ampmate Setup
+ - Standard
+ Aztec
+ Standard

Just goes back and forth to Aztec / Standard??

My SN should be in the newer models and should have it installed 1841XX

I really don't want to lock it up with a software update.

What am I doing wrong?

So help me here. I have a MKII/w Aztec and didn't know there was an "auto" function. Tried to follow the directions from their site and I don't think I have it or I can't get to it.
Ampmate Setup
+ - Standard
+ Aztec
+ Standard

What am I doing wrong?

You need to update firmware if it doesn't show in the menu.

Ampmate Setup
+ - Standard
+ Aztec
+ Standard

What am I doing wrong?
What did Alex say to do?

Wait… you’re running an update, prior to hearing from Alex, and (as already pointed out) directly counter to AMP’s standard guidance?

No, it said you had to download it to your computer first. I don't think it is working because it is still "downloading". The pop-up said it would take a while, but hours is too long.

The auto function is the AMP annealer starting the anneal by itself when you insert a cartridge in the annealing well. No more pressing the "start" button. Quite handy.

The auto function is the AMP annealer starting the anneal by itself when you insert a cartridge in the annealing well. No more pressing the "start" button. Quite handy.
I use an amp mate so not sure it will do anything for me. Of course I can’t leave well enough alone and updating my unit. I hope this doesn’t bonk out. If it does - serves me well for fixing what’s not broken.

Update - was able to update both annealer and amp mate with no problems. Used a mac.

Last edited:
I haven't tried to contact him yet. Asked here first. Will send an email tonight.

I have had the download running for about 3 hours now. Seems a bit long.
Well, after many emails with Matt since midday and using a different software link mine finally updated. The website version just ran in loops and would never go past the slave update. It seemed to loaded but kept starting over and over. I stopped it and contacted Matt again and he sent a direct download link outside the website. That looked like it it loaded slave and main but would not finish. Another email to Matt and he said just turn it off and on, it should be good. It seems to be. Still have Aztec and now have auto.

If you do the update, be SURE you follow the instructions when it tells you to turn the AMP off / on. It will be 2 times. If you don't it will lock your Aztec.

Was a pain and took hours, but the support from AMP/MATT was great.

So…..I want that auto-start feature but I’m scared to update because of all the problems. Should I call them and ask first, or just give it a go?

Reactions: Kadenb7676
So…..I want that auto-start feature but I’m scared to update because of all the problems. Should I call them and ask first, or just give it a go?
I updated mine without any problems whatsoever. I did use a mac. Also never got a turn on and off until the end when it was done and the system had to reset.

It's worth it. Just time it so you don't need the machine right away if something goes wrong.