• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP annealer issue - known fix?

sab567

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2019
Hi everyone,
Sadly after about 4 years of use, my AMP have died. Not from overheat from what I can tell, I just turn it on and after about 5sec the fuse blew up. Changed it, put an other power cord in an other room just to test and same happened, after 5sec of warm up the fuse blew up.

the unit is proably not on warranty anymore, but AMP are kind enought to double check after the long weekend. From their answer so far, they think it's the board that is in defect. Shipping + repair would be about 500USD (200 for the board, 300 for shipping) if not on warranty.

So my main question is, does anyone have encouter this issue before? I know 3 peoples who had the same thing happen, but within warranty. Is there a way to get the board and change it myself? Or give it to an electronic expert around me for the repair ? Better not playing with that? Looking for some advice.

Thank you

So if they think it is the circuit board, will they sell you one that you can install? How much would it cost? Probably less than sending your machine back to them to test and fix.

So if they think it is the circuit board, will they sell you one that you can install? How much would it cost? Probably less than sending your machine back to them to test and fix.
I havent ask if its possible, it was quite a quick discussion, they answered while being on weekend already.
I am not sure a company would do that not being sure its the problem. It could alse be a shortage on a connector or something and so changing the PCB would not solve it. But a good technician could find it.

Surely there is a local electronic shop, or service centre in your city ? Any business which can service a microwave can probably fix it.

If it's got some busted piece of circuitry, they can unsolder the dud and put in a new fresh part.
Hell, a computer repair shop which fixes laptops and power supplies would be able to diagnose and fix it WAY faster too I'd bet. Worth a try.

Reactions: sab567
I’ve used these guys for automotive applications, mostly for circuit board repairs on instrument clusters.
They might be with a try.

Reactions: iceng
That sounds like a design flaw with a piece of equipment costing that much they need to use a better component

Maybe something fell in the machine from thr case ? Stainless steel pin from tumbling media ? Who knows. Debris could cause a fault perhap

The amp is in shipping back from the facility right now. (My credit card cover 1 more year of warranty, and it's just before 4 years old, so pretty lucky here).
It is confirmed that the main board blew up. They suggest it might be due to high humidity in Canadian summer and drastic temp change that might have get some moisture in the unit that blew up the board, but nothing is really certain.