• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP Bolt Action Bullpup precision rifle

RollingThunder51

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
U.S.A.
As you all might remember from the piece I wrote on the AWC G2A (http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1006420#Post1006420), I really take the time to watch the progress of any precision bullpup platform. There are two more gas variants moving quickly through trials, so things are very interesting now. I was told last week that there are three engineering dollars spent for every one in regard to bullpup developement at this point.

I was pleased to be contacted by a friend of mine in Holland that informed me that the Dutch Navy has taken a contract for yet again another interesting bolt action bullpup. Since bolt action bullpups are rare to begin with, I asked for some photos and was really interested in what came through. I, for one, had not heard of this variant and thought I would post them here for those that had not as well.

I am fully expecting somebody to tell me this is a Stealth Recon Scout. But with the AMP's bipod more reminiscent of the Walther WA2000, or its unusual monopod/rear, I just wasn't sure.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Anybody know more about the AMP?</span>

E.jpg

F.jpg

G.jpg

a-1.jpg

b.jpg

d.jpg

c.jpg

Re: AMP Bolt Action Bullpup precision rifle

It is called DSR-1 and employed by german special police forces (including GSG 9 and SEK) and some scandinavian miliary units (denmark).

Designed by Günter Kirnstätter by AMP Technical Services (he also worked for Mauser and Erma) and now manufactured by DSR Precision GmbH

Website of DSR Precision GmbH

Available in many calibers and, as you already stated RT51, the WA2000 is not so far away. I was told the old design team of Walther moved on and founded said company (Kirnstätter), but don't take this as a fact, not verified.

Sold by IEA for a good deal of money. I got an online friend who is hunting with that rifle chambered in .338 Lapua Magnum. Should have some pictures around. Maybe I post them later.

One picture from another forum I post on
3080149474_d91e5e8361_o.jpg

Deployed by SEK Northern Bavaria:

sek01.jpg

sek04.jpg

SEK Saxony

c46d1099.jpg

c.jpg

Many thanks, I would like to see those shots if you would be so kind as to post. I should have pictures of their .50 cal this evening.

j.jpg

This thing keeps rearing its head, I suppose for the European shooters on the site that is cool, but for us, not so much.

They had 2 of these down at Rifles Only and we used one for the 2nd SHC Back in 2005 I think it was. The rifle is ok, I'm not a fan nor was I impressed. It's accurate enough but frankly, I think the Desert Recon is a better option especially for most. Cost accuracy, etc, etc, is much better, not to mention you can actually get the components to change the caliber.

Here one of the guys took a pig in Jacob's backyard with it,
amp.jpg

Either way, this rifle bores me... yawn.
smile.gif

this rifle has been around for some time now i know for 3 or more years your can swap out barrels and bolts for different calibers . I have personally shot one and the trigger is the best there is. I personally think the desert recon is just a rip off of this rifle. this a match grade rifle in the best sense. the rear mono pod is a awesome feature its a quick adjust. everything on the rifle is fully adjustable check piece LOP. there also have a tactical version which is all black. this more info on it here http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn38-e.htm heres some prices and pics of the tactical version these prices are in Canadian
http://www.theshootingedge.com/cmgallery/displayimage.php?album=6&pos=12

I personally feel there is no finer factory rifle And if i had the cash on hand i wouldn't hesitate to buy one

I dont know fellas its defiantly a great looking rifle.I wonder if they use it as a dedicated sniper rifle? If so wouldnt the tolerences be better served with a more stable action like a threaded barrel instead of pinned or wwhatever system they use.I think it would better serve as a ifantry unit weapon.
Just my .02 cents

im not sure how well it would serve as battle weapon. the tolerances on the rifle are extremely tight and would prob cause problems in the muck and mire of battle. police situations its were it is best fielded

Here are the accuracy findings for the rifle, it would support the accuracy observations made by all above. For fear of boring most, I thought this table was interesting inasmuch as it reflected great accuracy without seeming to talk about real distance shooting. Perhaps this says it best "The Armes & Tir test shooters used RUAG target cartridges and could shoot 200 x 300 mm (0.69 x 1.03 MOA) groups at 1,000 m distance with a .338 Lapua Magnum chambered DSR 1 rifle. The test results reported by the gun magazines Visier and Armes & Tir are good but not exceptional for an expensive high end factory bolt action sniper rifle system." Perhaps what they missed is this rifle is well, so damn short, and that the barrel swaps out.

090312-212604.jpg

Certainly I can see how all the bells and whistle would drive up the price of this rifle, expecially a German made precision rifle. When the Germans get going, its hard to know where things are going to stop. As an example, pretty extreme way to provide for perfect cheek weld.

fd.jpg

sf.jpg

Or the number of parts/operations in the bolt.

dd.jpg

sfd.jpg

Still waiting for the shot of their .50 cal.

If you are right, SP "I was told the old design team of Walther moved on and founded said company (Kirnstätter), but don't take this as a fact, not verified." well, that is a surprising data point.

Agree, iguess iam just to old fashion. I prefer a good old fashion bolt action long rifle.
Dont get me wrong im sure there is nothing wrong with it.It looks awsome. just not my cup of tea though...........besides new things have a tendecy to freak me out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Anybody know more about the AMP?</span>

</div></div>

Looking at the pictures, I keeping thinking, that is a lot of work to take 4-5 inches off a rifle...

It is not an AMP... it is a DSR-Precision sold by AMP...
Design is by DSR-Precision not by AMP...
If you buy a DSR-1 from IEA there will be nothing on it saying AMP...
By they way... you can get a AMP.408CT which is a CheyTac M200...

I got mine from AMP in 2004 (.338LM)...

DSR stands for 'Defensive Sniper Rifle' which says everything about its main use... police precision marksman...

The DSR-1 is not the ideal (scout)sniper rifle...
There are too many things that can go wrong... and have to be carried...
It is ideal for those stand-off situations the police gets called to...
I can sleep on this rifle, so comfortable is it... good for the deer that I oversleep...
cry.gif

Military snipers are better of with a SRS which is more a DSR-2 than an rip off... all things that are bad or can go wrong on the DSR-1 the SRS has not...

Back to the DSR-1, mine shot factory load out of the box with 0.2MOA/100m consistently... as advertised by AMP...

Caliber conversion were always available for the DSR-1... it was an important feature for the police use...

here is a pic from the .50BMG
dsr50_medium.jpg

the buttstock is fixed and heavier constructed, because the normal one would break...

Alta Redneck, care to elaborate on your accusation? "I personally think the desert recon is just a rip off of this rifle."

Do you mean a rip off of the profile?
Do you mean Desert Tactical snuck one in and reverse engineered all its guts and copied it?

Please elaborate on your statement.

Shane

Here's the picture, did not see the owner online for a long time. Thought it was you for a moment, maybe just a coincidence? The shown rifle is .338 LM with some custom work.

The component issue was strictly a USA problem as the importer got into some problem at the time, whether or not they are available now I have no clue, but at the time when they had these rifles the components to change the caliber was non-existent.

Also I have shot both, the DSR-1 and the Desert Recon SRS, and can say I prefer the SRS hands down. It too has an outstanding trigger, accuracy and it is much better balanced then the DSR was, or would ever be. I'm not speculating, I used them both. We won't even get into price... Just because both are switch caliber bullpups doesn't means one is a blatant rip off of the other, there are plenty of differences, which are clear in person if not from reading about each online.

To straighten things out:

RollingThunder51 was so kind and contacted DSR Precision. The rumor about the WA2000 design team was wrong. Neither Kirnstätter nor former Walther employees founded DSR Precision.

It was Ingolf Reuter who developed the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shane45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alta Redneck, care to elaborate on your accusation? "I personally think the desert recon is just a rip off of this rifle."

Do you mean a rip off of the profile?
Do you mean Desert Tactical snuck one in and reverse engineered all its guts and copied it?

Please elaborate on your statement.

Shane</div></div>

I'll just start off with i have never handled the desert tactical so I probably shouldn't have said anything. but all i meant was the DSR has been around for a long time now and it share quit a few features also appearance IMO with the SRS which i believe is a fairly new rifle. Again I could be completely out to lunch here but it just how i see things.

YEP, you are way out to lunch, I mean way out, maybe you mean that the concept is a ripoff, but both of the rifle are totally different Internal working park. it a totally different design.

Whatever the differences and similarities, it is always interesting to see how the trigger design works itself out on a new bullpup. That has always been the biggest hurdle to overcome and where the hardest engineering issues appear. Since we already know that the bolt designs are different and that the extractor geometry is definatly different, I would have to agree that these are two very different rifles.

Here is the DRS 1's trigger design.

ztr.jpg

Translation "The simple trigger mechanism works exceptionally well"

How does the SRS go about making the link? Does anybody have any idea how the adjustments are made? Photos?

A break through on the SRS would be an important step forward for any bolt bullpup and a great way to distinguish the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SheepShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By they way... you can get a AMP.408CT which is a CheyTac M200...

</div></div>

The DSR-1, is also available in .408CT kal ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Here is the DRS 1's trigger design.

ztr.jpg

Translation "The simple trigger mechanism works exceptionally well"

How does the SRS go about making the link? Does anybody have any idea how the adjustments are made? Photos?

A break through on the SRS would be an important step forward for any bolt bullpup and a great way to distinguish the rifle.</div></div>

That's basically the SRS design as well.

Ratbert, thanks. That is very helpful, as it appears that the SRS did pick up on the DSR 1 trigger system concepts.

Ratbert, do you have any shots of the bolt and the chamber?

i'm not gonna lie to any of you all i got a woody just looking at the pics. but i think if i ever heard of the price tag on one of these i would get impotent for life. it's a sweet stick but in the few short years that i have been a mechanic, or just mechanically inclined, the bottom line is: the more moving pieces there are in a small part like the bold, the more shit you have to go wrong

I like the bullpup design for compressing the OAL and as such they make for a very interesting proposition worthy of consideration.

"the rear mono pod is a awesome feature its a quick adjust."

This I do know, any monopod that works in a vertical manner and/or requires you to use just a few fingers to make fine adjustments at a point where the monopod and the supporting surface meet, is not the most ideal design. I'm also of the opinion that the greater the distance between the bipod and monopod (or rear rest of any kind), the better for stability.

From my chair, being the first to offer a monopod for individual shoulder fired weapons in 1999, they are somewhat of a focal point of my observations. It is in many ways satisfying to see so many new weapon systems being offered with monopods as a standard as this not only validate their application, but increases options that today’s market is willing to support that 10 years ago was un-known.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the bullpup design for compressing the OAL and as such they make for a very interesting proposition worthy of consideration.
</div></div>

My SRS with a SAS 7.62 suppressor and 22" barrel just happens to be the exact same length as my Rem 700 with 22" barrel in a McM A3 stock. So you get the suppressor for free. That's a big part of the reason I ordered mine. And the SRS, as outfitted, is actually heavier than the Remington (partially due to the Heritage on the SRS vs Falcon on the Rem) but the balance on the SRS is so much better that it actually feels lighter when shooting using a sling or offhand.

</div></div>

Not handy, but if you can be patient I'll try to snap a few next week sometime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 467</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont know fellas its defiantly a great looking rifle.I wonder if they use it as a dedicated sniper rifle? If so wouldnt the tolerences be better served with a more stable action like a threaded barrel instead of pinned or wwhatever system they use.I think it would better serve as a ifantry unit weapon.
Just my .02 cents </div></div>

Cyclic rate of fire of a bolt action rifle is too slow for regular infantry units at squad and platoon level -- maybe for squad designated marksmen, but even then they would be better served with a semi-auto.

</div></div>

_MG_0569.JPG

_MG_0568.JPG

_MG_0567.JPG

_MG_0565.JPG

_MG_0564.JPG

_MG_0555.JPG

_MG_0563.JPG