• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMP Press ... Early Review

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Executive Summary: From the time the box arrived at my gate on Saturday, to the time I was getting an accurate seating force plot on my computer, was less than an hour. Since then, I've loaded almost 100 cartridges with a very short learning curve, and gotten data about my bullet seating that would be impossible to derive with any other tool. If you've got $1,300+ of cash hanging around and you want to materially improve your visibility into the interface between bullet and case, then you should buy one of these gadgets. If you don't have the cash to buy one, sell something else you don't need, and get one anyway.

Buying Experience: I contacted AMP via EMail and told them I wanted one even though everybody complains it's never in stock. They told me to go to the web site, register, put one in my cart, and get into the queue. Shockingly, it showed me in Queue Position #2, and a week later, I got the message that it was available for purchase. Went to the cart, paid, got a confirmation, and it was shipped the next day. It surprised the crap out of me how quickly I got one.

Initial Setup: Watch the Assembly and Setup video ... just turn it on and follow each step, pausing along the way. The Amp Press assembled exactly as described, quickly and easily. Loading the software either from the Web Download Site (how I did it), or from the supplied USB Stick, is easy and straightforward. When you start the application on your computer, it asks for the "Key" ... a long string of numbers in a text file on the USB Stick. Just cut and paste, and the software activates right away. The version selling now works via the USB cable, or by Bluetooth. I did my initial setup via USB, and when everything had been working well, I unplugged and tried Bluetooth. Long story short, I could only get Bluetooth to work with a clean software start, and initial power-up of AMP Press. Sequencing for this matters ... Software first, then Press Power, then select "Bluetooth Connect" from the Commands Menu. No need to add it to your computer as a new Bluetooth device, it just "finds it" without fuss as long as your computer is running a Bluetooth driver. As a last step, tighten EVERY screw, as I found a couple of the factory-tightened screws that were just a little loose.

Getting Acquainted: Follow the steps in the video to load a few dummy rounds, and you'll quickly get the hang of it. Also, use the included test die to watch and test the accuracy and repeatability. The force line plots should be linear and right on top of each other. If they're not, you did something wrong. That's it ... now I'm loading, seating, and learning things about my seating force that I never knew, and that will certainly help me improve my consistency and accuracy.

Pro's
    • Assembled just like the video, easy and low-stress
    • Software loaded flawlessly and connected to the Press right away
    • Very "sturdy" - machined for strength and tightness
    • Delivered accurate data on the very first bullet seating
    • Software is simple and easy to figure out even without the instructions (which are pretty good)
    Con's
    • Yup ... it's expensive ... get over it
    • Gotta buy one of the Inline Dies that works with this ... I like the LE Wilson Inline Seating Dies
    • Bluetooth setup was challenging and the documentation has nothing about it
    • Data doesn't allow for export to a spreadsheet ... this is a big "miss" that needs to get fixed in future updates
      • Something as simple as getting an "average" force for a session isn't possible without manual entry
    Bottom Line: This thing is AWESOME and I'm already testing scenarios that were impossible to test before I got it. I started estimating seating force by "feel" on the press lever ... not possible. Then I got an Arbor Press with a Force Dial but quickly learned how limiting it is to try to record seating force by visual reference. Now I have accurate plots on every stage of the bullet seating process, and I'm already making meaningful adjustments after only a couple of days. Like my Annealer from AMP, and now with the Press from AMP, doing things "the hard way" is becoming a distant memory. If you've got the scratch and you're a gadget guy like me ... you've gotta have one of these.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

Last edited:
    How about now?
    It's awesome ... greatest value is the ability to be able to "cull" the highs and lows from my core round count, and use them as barrel warmers and sight-ins. The SD's and ES' it's giving me are slightly better than I was getting before, due in part (I'm sure) of the capability noted above. It's great to absolutely "know" what my seating force is, rather than having to guess, or deal with the interpolation associated with my arbor press. Bottom line ... it's well worth the money, assuming of course you can afford it.

Rusty,

Magnetic induction is a great way to anneal cases, however the price of the AMP always put me off.

I found a guy on Youtube who came up with his own hack. Using a 1000W induction wand with a repeating ON/OFF timer you can achieve the same results. Plus use it as for what it's originally designed, to loosen bolts. The New Zealand guys who make the AMP are doing the same thing, but use a metal box with inserts.

induction coil - Copy.jpg
    insides - Copy.jpg

I use an old Berger bullet box to house the timer and have twisted a couple of copper coils for annealing brass. The wood case holder means they all get annealed to the same height. I have done a few thousand in three calibres without issue. As for precision/accuracy (I'm an F Class shooter), it does not seem to improve it at all, so for me it's all about case life. I know two guys who have the AMP and they both report no improvement in results on the target either. It does clean up your velocity spreads, but for results down range...meh. So it's all about what you think case life is worth vs. the time and expense. I enjoy tinkering, so there's that as well.

Here's the original Induction Annealing video which I copied. I like how he doesn't deliberately over-complicate the build. This settup is under $300USD.

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
    Looks very functional and economical. That said, I'm just not the "MacGyver Type". It's a one-and-done buy for me, so I'll stick with the AMP stuff.

All good. Hey, I feel you now that you've shelled out the money. I almost did the same.

Just saying to the other guys, if you value $1,000 and can use a screwdriver, you get the same results.

Last edited:
    It's awesome ... greatest value is the ability to be able to "cull" the highs and lows from my core round count, and use them as barrel warmers and sight-ins. The SD's and ES' it's giving me are slightly better than I was getting before, due in part (I'm sure) of the capability noted above. It's great to absolutely "know" what my seating force is, rather than having to guess, or deal with the interpolation associated with my arbor press. Bottom line ... it's well worth the money, assuming of course you can afford it.
    So besides being really neat and cool and " knowing" your seating force, what has this press lead you to change in your seating process that has produced better results on target? I have found that the culls you might pull, shoot the same as the other core rounds. Just saying that pulling culls does not guarantee that your results are better.

Reactions: secondofangle2