• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Amp Press question

Desert Rat

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2017
Just purchased an Amp Press and for those of you that are running one I was curious what you use other than laptops. I personally would like to use a Microsoft surface? Or some sort of standalone monitor I can mount to a wall. So I guess that’s my question does anyone run anything other than a laptop And if so what unit/setup? Thanks in advance.

It's made for Windows and/or Mac OS ... so anything running that should work. An easy test is to load the software, try to connect (Bluetooth or USB), and see if it works. Mine is fine either way using a laptop and Windows-10.

Reactions: Desert Rat
Yeah I don’t have the actual amp press yet. I just ordered it yesterday. I’m just kind of getting set up. I have a perfectly good running surface, but my laptop I can’t say I’ve opened that up in a couple years. Hahahaha. Basically I want to get a wall mount bracket for my surface to keep the shop tidy and not have a laptop sitting on my bench is the main reason I’m asking these questions. I also thought about a standalone computer monitor I guess but I’m not sure they even make those.

You're gonna LOVE the Amp Press ... it's one of my favorite "toys". Absolute BEST use is to find the "outlyers" from a batch of cartridges, and use those as sighters and barrel-warmers so that they don't mess up your groups.

You're gonna LOVE the Amp Press ... it's one of my favorite "toys". Absolute BEST use is to find the "outlyers" from a batch of cartridges, and use those as sighters and barrel-warmers so that they don't mess up your groups.
My friend I can’t tell you how excited I am for this piece of gear that I’ve been watching videos on for the last year and a half literally! I think it has a ton of potential and I’d like to be in on the ground floor of what that potential will be!

My friend I can’t tell you how excited I am for this piece of gear that I’ve been watching videos on for the last year and a half literally! I think it has a ton of potential and I’d like to be in on the ground floor of what that potential will be!
Unsolicited Advice:
  1. Watch the instructional video and follow along for assembly and initial setup of software.
  2. After setup, verify proper config with the test-die.
  3. When connecting Bluetooth, do it in the right order (Software start, Press turn-on, select "Bluetooth Connect).
  4. Configure a very small space between ram and top of loaded die. It should "just barely" fit.
  5. Realize that the consistency of your case prep activities and measurements, will directly correlate to a tighter grouping of the "blue lines".
  6. Expect some outliers ... that's exactly why you bought the press. 100% "on the line" just ain't happening unless your case prep is f'ing flawless.
  7. Have fun being one of the .05% of reloaders that "knows" your actual seating force.

Unsolicited Advice:
  1. Watch the instructional video and follow along for assembly and initial setup of software.
  2. After setup, verify proper config with the test-die.
  3. When connecting Bluetooth, do it in the right order (Software start, Press turn-on, select "Bluetooth Connect).
  4. Configure a very small space between ram and top of loaded die. It should "just barely" fit.
  5. Realize that the consistency of your case prep activities and measurements, will directly correlate to a tighter grouping of the "blue lines".
  6. Expect some outliers ... that's exactly why you bought the press. 100% "on the line" just ain't happening unless your case prep is f'ing flawless.
  7. Have fun being one of the .05% of reloaders that "knows" your actual seating force.
I will take all of this advice gladly and say thank you!

Have you tested any of this?

Have thousands of rounds through amp press since its release. We haven’t seen and can’t find anyone else that can correlate anything from the press data to the target.

Much like force gauges and hydro presses before the amp…..as no one was able to definitively show the data from the gauge predicted a good or bad round on target.

The press is awesome and we use it a lot. But thus far, no one in the community has been able to show the data predicts anything consequential other than finding issues with dies or a process that will continually negatively impact most rounds you load….not just outliers.

Have you tested any of this?

Have thousands of rounds through amp press since its release. We haven’t seen and can’t find anyone else that can correlate anything from the press data to the target.

Much like force gauges and hydro presses before the amp…..as no one was able to definitively show the data from the gauge predicted a good or bad round on target.

The press is awesome and we use it a lot. But thus far, no one in the community has been able to show the data predicts anything consequential other than finding issues with dies or a process that will continually negatively impact most rounds you load….not just outliers.
This is so true. No one can tell you how to use it to get better groups. If you have even a decent load process, pulling " outliers" doesn't mean you'll have better groups or that those outliers will shoot any different than the rest of the group.