• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMPK

armorpl8chikn

Colonel Angus
Minuteman
Aug 17, 2010
Face Slapping Distance
The "miracle switch".
Does anyone know anything about it?

I don't believe in magic pills, but I do believe in science. They've proven that certain diabetus meds turn on AMPK production.

I have a very ferked up metabolism and have had for years. Got some friends here that can vouch for how active I am, but since my knees and back took a major crap, its nearly impossible for me to walk 1/4 mile.

I've quit competing and hardly shoot at all any more.
I've been on beta blockers and calcium blockers since I was 14, I'm now 50. I wasn't fat when they put me on beta blockers. I've tried every diet on the planet. I've lost as much as 80 lbs, then put it back on. At one point I lost a pile of weight and hit a wall. I begged the doctor to drop the dose on my beta blocker...."Your blood pressure is fantastic! Why would you want to reduce your meds?"

I'm not making excuses. My weight problem didn't start till they put me on meds for blood pressure.
What little I know of AMPK is it's produced naturally, and it can be artificially suppressed.
Anyway my story would fill a book. I'm not going to bore you.

I know a lot of people will say meds don't cause weight gain but I was on depakote for migraines. I went from 184 to 230, I gained 10 lbs a month for the first 3 months before I got it somewhat under control. I finally quit taking it after several years and lost almost 35 pounds of the weight in less than a year. I don't have any advice for you as I know blood pressure meds are a little more necessary than what I was on.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
I know a lot of people will say meds don't cause weight gain but I was on depakote for migraines. I went from 184 to 230, I gained 10 lbs a month for the first 3 months before I got it somewhat under control. I finally quit taking it after several years and lost almost 35 pounds of the weight in less than a year. I don't have any advice for you as I know blood pressure meds are a little more necessary than what I was on.

Yes. And they are chasing a number. You gain weight, more dosage is required, you gain weight, more meds...etc.
If it's regulating my heart like a metronome, then surely something is happening to my metabolism at a cellular level?

I looked up metformin and it is the one or one if the drugs that is proven to stimulate AMPK. It is a very old drug. For years they didn't even know the mechanism by which it was causing weight loss.

My doc has put me on metformin, but I've yet to take a single pill. Why?
His assertions that it has been around forever and it's perfectly safe, that is not the whole truth.
He is itching to put me on a statin, that makes me nervous. I would have probably took them 5 years ago. Statins are linked to degeneration of the coating on your nerves, myolin? My spine doc has mentioned it to me cause my vertabrae rubbed some of it raw in some big nerves. I just call it insulation on my wires.

Typical Chikn ramble, sorry.

So supplements to wake this compound up? Snake oil? I am nearing the end of a very long rope.
I probably need a new doctor.

Hi,

@armorpl8chikn
Have you tried loading up on actual foods that increase AMPK to see if your body feels anything?

Here is some detailed "science" about AMPK:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4855276/

Here is another pretty good article:
https://draxe.com/ampk/

Sincerely,
Theis

Hey thanks a lot for this!
This is what I've been looking for. I'm not ordering some supplement Willy nilly. If they can "extract" a compound from something, I just need to know if the something is food that I can obtain.

Some clues are forming as I read those articles.
A lot of it is Greek to me but I am just smart enough to be dangerous.

Calcium continues to be mentioned in the metabolism, synthesis, function, of the cells. I don't understand the flow of the chemical reactions yet, but I know I take a calcium blocker. This can't be good for AMPK production.

This has been shown to be superior in glucose control in comparison to a few diabetes medications, including metformin.

Edit: I should probably add that it is an AMPK agonist. If you are on ofher medications, it would be wise to confirm whether they will interact, berberine has a decent list of medications that it is contraindicated for use with.

Last edited:
Reactions: armorpl8chikn