• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Amsoil

johnl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Wet Coast
Any of you boys tried their synthetic motor oils? They claim their premium oil is good for 25K (40kilometers) before oil changes Yes I know you have to use their filter. Have a 02 camry with 50k (80k kilometers) on it and was going to go to the dealer but I'm thinking about giving Amsoil a try.

Re: Amsoil

I change my oil once a year but change the filter every six months

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I change my oil once a year but change the filter every six months </div></div>
Same here. Been running Amsoil since my race engine builder recommended using it. BTW, don't race any longer, but I still keep up with him and his projects.

Kevin

I use amsoil in my Crv and my family uses it in all their vehicles. It gets changed once a year since none of the vehicles reach the mile limit.

I forgot to mention that we change the filter every 6 months even though we only change the oil every year. It seems to be doing good for us. Although the most we put on any specific vehicle a year is about 15,000 miles.

Sure, don't suck the hype, check your oil, change your filters, service twice suggested pending conditions, cruise on.

Run a quality oil, Most is hype.

I like Amsoil products. And would recomend them.

Haven't checked the wear test results in a while but they used to be at the top.

Run Amsoil Dominator Racing oil in my big block Ford mustang.

But still don't know if I would run it to 25k between changes.

Im a dealer for the stuff. Wouldnt use anything else.

I know of a trucker that ran it 175,000 miles with regular filter changes....they use a little tap on the oil line, and send in a sample every few thousand miles to check for metal in the oil.

Personally I think that is way too long. I can notice a slight change at about 8000 and change oil and filter at 10,000. Switching the trans and rear end fluid as well, will give about 10% improvement in mileage, and youll never wear the engine out.

Fror a few bucks a year you can become a dealer and oredr it yourself...shippped right to your home. If your interested PM me and I can set you up.

I use Amsoil in every thing I own, and I won't change. I change filter every 6 months, and oil every year, I usually average 15K miles, and my oil is still amber when the year is over.

I ran amsoil in my outboard in 1982 racing bathtubs, and we ran it in our car.

It's awesome stuff.

The 25k only applies if you change your filter every 5k and add a quart - still..

I'm about tochange over since I just broke 100k on my Nissan Hardbody...

I'm an amsoil dealer also. I've been using amsoil since long before "synthetics" were cool.
Everything from lawnmowers to collector cars and even in my air compressor. The cost is worth the protection and longevity it provides. As far as engine oil...if the cost or drain interval seem to be too much for your preference, they now have the "OE" line of synthetics to fit the bill.
My .02

For those who don't know, I am a tribologist by education and work. Now that being said it's important to note a few things about all oils, including Amsoil. All engine oils are just mineral oils that have been refined to various levels, and that includes synthetics. The difference in oils is the 'pack' as we refer to it which is the additive package, i.e. EP adds, friction modifiers, viscosity improver etc... Mineral oil is pretty much bullet proof and don't break down but the pack does and many of the pack's components shear and break down pretty quickly depending on the application. Amsoil is just like any other engine oil out there and they use the same ingredients in their pack the levels will vary per application but running any oil to 15,000 without recharging the pack means you're running an oil with no pack which is almost as bad as running an engine with no oil. So just because some race-car likes Amsoil doesn't mean it's the best option for your car (unless you drive a race-car) point is you don't really know unless you're sending your oil off for analysis with TBN. If you post back what specific oil you're running I can probably find a virgin analysis so you can compare your oil analysis to it to see how your engine is treating the oil (if you care) but below is an Amsoil sample vs a Mobil1 (same grade and application)

Amsoil:
11avptw.jpg

Mobil1:
15947k.jpg

So based on a comparison of these two oils the Mobil1 has a far better blend, i.e. better pack and is a more rounded blend. The Amsoil has a ton of detergent in it and a slightly higher TBN the rest is just a light normal pack. The Mobil1 has two very good EP/FM adds that the Amsoil doesn't.

The whole point of this is that an oil that works for Joe doesn't mean it will work for you and there's a pretty good chance that Joe doesn't have a clue what his oil is doing in the first place. Joe's application is different too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

True.

Good information!!

I ran mobile one, got to 5000 miles and it was so watery and dirty I changed it out....

Amsoil has done that too, maybe my truck just likes it thick!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good information!!

I ran mobile one, got to 5000 miles and it was so watery and dirty I changed it out....

Amsoil has done that too, maybe my truck just likes it thick! </div></div>

It sounds like your truck is just shearing the oil to hell and the viscosity index is getting smoked. Do you drive a diesel with HEUI injectors or a gasser with solid lifters? What is the grade/brand of oil you're currently using? If you send me a sample of your used oil I can run it though the process and figure out what your engine is doing to it (PM me). Dirty oil is actually a good thing. It means the dispersants are still alive and well. You want oil to hold and carry the 'dirt' so that the 'dirt' leaves the engine when you change your oil. When the dispersants are destroyed (yours might be there or close) you start to see the dirt floc (settle out) of the system and accumulate as heavy goo that doesn't leave when you change your oil, the first stages will feel like a light grit between your fingers or I'll find it if you send me a sample. I can give you a full run-down with a sample and suggest a change to a different viscosity if need be.

When I owned my 99 3000gt VR4, the 99 owners (less than 400) tried to find the best oil, we ended up finding that which line the motor was made on, the location of the person driving, driving habits, mileage was all dependent on what oil to use. It ended up in a total disaster and went back to the simple "use what your car likes"

High: You have any data on Castrol Edge (ex SLX 5W30) it's supposed to be good especially in detergent function (stability of its cleaning additives).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who don't know, I am a tribologist by education and work. Now that being said it's important to note a few things about all oils, including Amsoil. All engine oils are just mineral oils that have been refined to various levels, and that includes synthetics. The difference in oils is the 'pack' as we refer to it which is the additive package, i.e. EP adds, friction modifiers, viscosity improver etc... Mineral oil is pretty much bullet proof and don't break down but the pack does and many of the pack's components shear and break down pretty quickly depending on the application. Amsoil is just like any other engine oil out there and they use the same ingredients in their pack the levels will vary per application but running any oil to 15,000 without recharging the pack means you're running an oil with no pack which is almost as bad as running an engine with no oil. So just because some race-car likes Amsoil doesn't mean it's the best option for your car (unless you drive a race-car) point is you don't really know unless you're sending your oil off for analysis with TBN. If you post back what specific oil you're running I can probably find a virgin analysis so you can compare your oil analysis to it to see how your engine is treating the oil (if you care) but below is an Amsoil sample vs a Mobil1 (same grade and application)

Amsoil:
11avptw.jpg

Mobil1:
15947k.jpg

So based on a comparison of these two oils the Mobil1 has a far better blend, i.e. better pack and is a more rounded blend. The Amsoil has a ton of detergent in it and a slightly higher TBN the rest is just a light normal pack. The Mobil1 has two very good EP/FM adds that the Amsoil doesn't.

The whole point of this is that an oil that works for Joe doesn't mean it will work for you and there's a pretty good chance that Joe doesn't have a clue what his oil is doing in the first place. Joe's application is different too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

True. </div></div>

Not True.

As a grad lf a western university I certainly appreciate the scientific method and western empiricism, HB, but with all due respect to your science,it works. Ive used Amsoil for many years, in everything from volkswagons to one ton trucks, and have found in every one, better mileage, and increased performance.

So the analysis can say what it will. The facts remain that IT WORKS. You just cant deny better mileage.

My oil change intervals are as follows... bike 1k, truck 1.5k and sports car 500 miles. Regardless of the oil I use, synthetic or not. Haven't had any problems and my truck has 250,000 miles on it. Oh and i put ATF in my oil as well to help keep things clean and prevent any deposits from forming. Oil comes down to preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who don't know, I am a tribologist </div></div>

Not True.

As a grad lf a western university I certainly appreciate the scientific method and western empiricism, HB, but with all due respect to your science,it works. Ive used Amsoil for many years, in everything from volkswagons to one ton trucks, and have found in every one, better mileage, and increased performance.

So the analysis can say what it will. The facts remain that IT WORKS. You just cant deny better mileage. </div></div>

I didn't say it didn't work anywhere in my post...? I just laid out the difference between similar oils for an example so everyone could see how oils can be different. In the two samples from above the Mobil1 is a better blend in terms of the pack but the Amsoil has a slightly higher TBN and a ton of detergent. The Mobil1 has good levels of everything and even has some extreme pressure and friction modifiers thrown in that the Amsoil doesn't. Now I think you misinterpreted what I was saying, The Mobil1 is a more rounded blend and would be great for a wider range of applications. Nowhere did I say that Amsoil was bad, it's just that between those two samples the Mobil1 was a better blend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High: You have any data on Castrol Edge (ex SLX 5W30) it's supposed to be good especially in detergent function (stability of its cleaning additives). </div></div>

The only one I could find was this sample of Castrol Edge 10w-30 with 5,900 miles on the oil (might have a virgin report at work). So the values on virgin oil will be a little higher in some places and lower in others but as a whole it looks like a pretty well rounded oil. It does have more than average detergent properties and a decent anti-wear package. The TBN shows plenty of life left so this oil in this engine could probably make it to 7,000mi before needing to be changed. It's getting thin but not thin enough to really worry about unless it's in an extreme climate. In short, it looks like it's a good oil blended for higher mileage or dirty climate cars. Personally, if I had blended this oil I would have added more anti-wear properties to coat the surfaces that were cleaned.

2lduafb.jpg

Thanks much appreciated - i was toying with idea of mixing hBN into the oil (if its good for a rifle hell should work in an engine
smile.gif
) but i think getting it to mix into the oil will be near impossible without special equipment and would just settle down or worse clog my oil filter fast.

One thing to note, we had a 1974 Pinto that we ran AMSOIL in since it's inception.

At 100k I tore the engine apart in adv auto shop. My instructor and everyone noted that the bearings were still well within tolerance, the engine was immaculately clean...

So I agree it does work...IF you change your filter regularly.

My dad used to sell the stuff.

I ran it as 2 stroke oil in my outboard race motor and ran 40/1 vs the standard 50 or 60/1.

It is good stuff.

It's also cool to see the science.

How does Royal Purple stack up?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sharac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks much appreciated - i was toying with idea of mixing hBN into the oil (if its good for a rifle hell should work in an engine
smile.gif
) but i think getting it to mix into the oil will be near impossible without special equipment and would just settle down or worse clog my oil filter fast.

</div></div>

Well there's not much involved in adding hBN to oil and people/manufactures do to it but there's some tricks to it because you're trying to create a colloidal solution where the hBN won't quickly fall out of sol. Also the hBN you have is probably not the size you want to run in your oil. Smaller is better so a nanometer hBN is going to be better than a 5 mircon in terms of not being filtered. There's a few other factors that I don't want to put out in public because a garage blender can really FUBAR it but if you want to talk about it I can walk you through it on the phone or I can do it for you. That being said however, there are other and better boron based adds and others that would work just as well and are easier to add. This is a really tricky area because just randomly adding chems to your oil can cause some wild reactions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who don't know, I am a tribologist </div></div>

Not True.

So the analysis can say what it will. The facts remain that IT WORKS. You just cant deny better mileage. </div></div>

I didn't say it didn't work anywhere in my post...? I just laid out the difference between similar oils for an example so everyone could see how oils can be different. In the two samples from above the Mobil1 is a better blend in terms of the pack but the Amsoil has a slightly higher TBN and a ton of detergent. The Mobil1 has good levels of everything and even has some extreme pressure and friction modifiers thrown in that the Amsoil doesn't. Now I think you misinterpreted what I was saying, The Mobil1 is a more rounded blend and would be great for a wider range of applications. Nowhere did I say that Amsoil was bad, it's just that between those two samples the Mobil1 was a better blend. </div></div>

Noted.

Oddly enough, I find that Amsoil, despite your comparison to Mobile 1, actually performs better. At least in all the applications I have used it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How does Royal Purple stack up? </div></div>

Here's a virgin sample of XPS 5w-20 but their 10w-30/40 is going to be pretty close in terms of the additives. It's got more than average levels of moly and detergent which is good and it looks like their adding a common friction/EP add called ZDDP which is a very good add but the EPA is trying to crack down on zinc so ZDDP is getting pretty expensive. This looks like a very good oil, I probably wouldn't plan on running it past 4-5000mi though. I would run this oil in my car any day.

2jaxceo.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maggot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Noted.

Oddly enough, I find that Amsoil, despite your comparison to Mobile 1, actually performs better. At least in all the applications I have used it in. </div></div>

One thing that I said above and over and over is that it's all application specific so one engine might love Amsoil and another might love XYZ brand. Every engine is hard on oil in a different way. In terms of virgin oil, I can only look at the adds and make general statements about how they will run in an engine, it's not until I get used oil samples from an engine that I can really break down how well that specific oil is doing in that engine and how that engine is treating the oil.

Wow lots of reponses. Now to find a case and some filters in my neck of the woods.