• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AMU M110's

Forgetful Coyote

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
Georgia
Does anyone here know the specs/details on the "M110" used by AMU shooters in long range service rifle? Are they actual KAC M110's? Or custom built .308 AR's? Parts/components used?
Thanks

I was at interservice last year and I did not see any m110s on the line. Just custom match rifles and custom 308 ARs for service rifle category for the long range matches (600 and 1000yds).

Last edited:
@__JR__ do you know one way or the other? What AMU is using for long range service rifle? Just curious.. as I've read they're legit match tuned M110's, but then the fact NRA/CMP considers all .308 AR's as a "M110" I wasn't so sure..

I was at interservice last year and I did not see any m110s on the line. Just custom match rifles and custom 308 ARs for service rifle category for the long range matches (600 and 1000yds).
Have you seen any sort of trend in the .308 AR's as far as uppers/lowers used?

@__JR__ do you know one way or the other? What AMU is using for long range service rifle? Just curious.. as I've read they're legit match tuned M110's, but then the fact NRA/CMP considers all .308 AR's as a "M110" I wasn't so sure..
I honestly don't know one way or the other, but do know both setups they use for KAC platforms so would be able to tell if factory chamber or not.

I know several active duty shooters that have bought or built on Armalite parts. I bought mine from a NG shooter, its Armalite with a Holiger barrel. I know one civilian shooter in MT that bought the Armalite NM from Davenport Guns in Iowa and has shot 440+ Palma matches many times. Shot out the factory barrel and rebarreled with a Krieger. Many are shooting 168 Berger Hybrid, Palma brass, enough Varget to go 2700fps since the windage is the same as Juggs but is 3.5moa flatter at 1k. Everyone is using Palma brass because is lasts with the high pressure.
I just started to work the load up for mine yesterday, 45g of 4064, 168 hybrid, Palma brass looks good. More testing and testing at 600 is needed but that is about where i'll be for this year.

If you go with Palma brass I would use JP's high pressure bolt, the small primer'ed brass tends to blank easier than large primer brass. I have shot 6.5 x 47 Lapua brass in 22 and it's native 6.5 since it was available in the US it was about 3 years before other x47's started to show up on the line. Everyone would look at my brass and say how hot the load was due to the condition of the primer, my 1,000 yard load is a little warm but my mid-range load was very tame and the primers looked the same. As others adopted the x47 L brass people started to realize the small primer brass took pressure differently. I was shooting Stiller actions so I had a decent tolerance between firing pin and firing pin hole in bolt, most stock factory actions (especially Savages) needed to get the bolt bushed and GreTan and others kept busy bushing folks bolts.

I rarely recommend JP products they have good quality, but they want an awful lot of money for their stuff, but their high pressure bolts definietly have a place in some ARs. I also get pissed when JP says their ARs are as accurate and any bolts but when asked to prove it they disappear, they are local to me. They should put their money where their mouth is or keep it closed.

The USAMU uses Armalites and have for a while as Mark Westrom, retired Armalite president, supported most of the military teams. Soldiers choosing to buy their own weapons can afford Armalites over KAC, and the LMT previously was not authorized under national match rules (I believe they do, now).

The AMU Custom Shop Service Rifle section turns and chambers their own barrels, and the Custom Ammunition Shop loads their ammo.

They originally used Armalite rails, went to something else (and broke the welds between rails and barrel nut interface), and went back to Armalites for a while. I don't know what they use now but can find out when I go to Benning next week.

This photo was of the record-setting 1,000-yard service-iron sights team at the Interservice Championships.

interserv002fix.jpg

Last edited:
Mark Westrom still comes out to Perry and his knowledge in weapons especially ARs is unbelievable.
I tried to use a SR25 and rail flex gave me more stringing then i liked. This year Ill try my hand with a LMT MWS.

200-10x is some incredible shooting considering the short sight radius. oh, to have young eyes again. If it was not for the scope rule change i would not be doing it. Just 4x but it makes all the difference.

Reactions: Bob2650
Oh Really or is it fucking O'Reilly?
You're pushing it, Al'Ready with 175gr in a gasser.

Who/Whom is running 185gr pills for +1Kyds?
Hey PVT, I've got your Midnight Mary sock hangin'.

Hey dickbrain we been using much heavier than 175s even in m1a/m14s before you even started playing with your little excuse for a pecker.

ARMALITE is never a wrong answer...

Unless it comes to procurement.

Uncle Sugar screwed the pooch on that eval.

Under Westrom ownership I would agree 100% but this new company is giving me pause. They can’t even operate a web store not to mention nothing has been in stock and it been a little over a year since the move was complete. According to Chris Bartucci they rehired Westrom to help them with manufacturing. Hopefully he will get them straight but I’m not holding my breath....

Hey dickbrain we been using much heavier than 175s even in m1a/m14s before you even started playing with your little excuse for a pecker.
USMC '76-'86 Taught at Stone Bay '85-'86. I think that was way before you were cussing in your mother's basement about helping you find the remote so you could rub one out over your Disney Channel hotties. In truth, I left Stone Bay as an Instructor @ 6 months before Frank walked on as a student.

You'ld teach your mother and an old hound how to suck eggs.

BTW, best to you.

The USAMU uses Armalites and have for a while as Mark Westrom, retired Armalite president, supported most of the military teams. Soldiers choosing to buy their own weapons can afford Armalites over KAC, and the LMT previously was not authorized under national match rules (I believe they do, now).

The AMU Custom Shop Service Rifle section turns and chambers their own barrels, and the Custom Ammunition Shop loads their ammo.

They originally used Armalite rails, went to something else (and broke the welds between rails and barrel nut interface), and went back to Armalites for a while. I don't know what they use now but can find out when I go to Benning next week.

This photo was of the record-setting 1,000-yard service-iron sights team at the Interservice Championships.

interserv002fix.jpg
Exactly what I was wondering! And would much appreciate you following up upon your return sir! Thanks again!
Also, is/are there specific barrel brands they use(Krieger, Satern, Bartlein)?? Or do they just use whatever high quality tube is immediately available??

We bought mostly cut-rifled barrels from all the major barrel makers. Each had to pass proofing and precision testing in a mechanical fixture to do three 10-shot MOA groups at 300 yards.

Reactions: drew_eckhardt
Under Westrom ownership I would agree 100% but this new company is giving me pause. They can’t even operate a web store not to mention nothing has been in stock and it been a little over a year since the move was complete. According to Chris Bartucci they rehired Westrom to help them with manufacturing. Hopefully he will get them straight but I’m not holding my breath....

If I had a firearms co I wouldn’t have anything in stock for a few more months either.

We bought mostly cut-rifled barrels from all the major barrel makers. Each had to pass proofing and precision testing in a mechanical fixture to do three 10-shot MOA groups at 300 yards.
You wouldnt happen to have a pic of the fixture would ya? Just curious as benchrest is also an interest of mine and Id like to see how it compares to a benchrest rail gun.. it aint a Wiseman fixture is it? Idk Wiseman personally but aint heard good things about him at all..

Thanks a ton sir!

Everything from .22 Short to .50 cal. The whole fixture recoils on wheels on rails. The fixture base is concrete 5 feet below floor surface.

There are outdoor bases on Easley Range (600 yards) and 1,000 yards at Maertens range.

12219336_10153898485384734_7481552935373920496_n.jpg

Last edited: