• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

An Interesting Theory from Primal Rights on the Cause of Barrel Wear

Ichi

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2022
Texas
What is the actual cause of barrel wear? He has an interesting theory. It would been nice if he could have had added a few pictures to help point out the issues with throat erosion and fire checking...

Meanwhile, If I'd have just put out a 15 second video saying "pressure is what wears out barrels." Then people would be complaining because I didn't take them through it in detail. The volume of the autistic screeching "pRoVe It!1!!!" would be set to 11. Some people just want the answers, and will believe what they are told blindly. Others want to get taken through things step by step, so they understand how the conclusions were reached. My content generally caters to the latter. I'm accustomed to being expected to logically explain why I hold the views I hold. Everyone benefits from that.

Video is nearly 6 years old. ;)

If I've learned anything in 15 years of producing content for the precision rifle community, it's that there will never be a shortage of people standing by to make offensive commentary. It makes them feel good to put others down.

If I've learned anything in 15 years of producing content for the precision rifle community, it's that there will never be a shortage of people standing by to make offensive commentary. It makes them feel good to put others down.

Oh, the precision rifle community is nothing special in that regard. I have never seen a discussion forum, group, community hall etc that didn’t have exactly the same issues - there is always someone who just wants to argue, or prove that their dick is bigger, or something to big note themselves or cut you down a notch.

Didnt watch the video. Heat causes more fatigue in steel than pressure. Heat AND pressure causes bulk fatigue, unless you engineer around it.

Welcome to the 90s. The 1890s.
-----
Edit.
Hahaha. Started watching, heat.. bang on. Stopped watching.

Reactions: brianf