• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision AN/PAS-29 COTI Theraml Clip On

I^2 Technologies - Peter

I^2 Technologies - Peter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2002
Way out West Thank Goodness
We are pleased to announce the sale of The COTI, Clip-on Thermal Imager. Note Here, THESE ARE AN ITAR CONTROLLED ITEM ! ! !

This small unit is one of the more versatile thermal systems out there. It can be used alone as a hand held device with the optional view finder, or ‘cliped’ onto an existing Night Vision Device to create a fused image of Night Vision and Thermal together. The COTI slides over the objective lens of your existing Night Vision goggles, Binoculars, such as the PVS-7B/D, PVS-14, BNVD, BNVD-G PVS-15, PVS-18, or PVS-23, and certain versions of the ANVIS systems. Once mounted it latches securely into place.

The COTI enhances the user’s current Night Vision capabilities by adding a thermal overlay or ‘fused’ image. This helps the user identify if a vehicle was just used or if people were in a room. This system can also see into dark openings such as doorways or windows and help perform search and rescue missions.

Used in conjunction with your Night Vision device and powered by 1 CR123A battery, it enables you to detect heat sources greatly improving situational awareness. It's lightweight design can be utilized for extended periods of time without adding much weight for the user. The COTI is able to detect heat signals up to 500m even with no natural light. The COTI is designed to withstand harsh environments and waterproof up to 66 feet.

The COTI has multiple modes. Full thermal mode, Patrol mode, and Outline mode. Conveniently adaptable with easy to use functions.

All Units Include: Mounting Bracket (PVS-7, 14, 23, 15, or 18), CR 123A Batteries, Lens Cleaner, Storage Pouch, Operator’s Manual and Quick Guide.

Optional Accessories: Eyepiece Adapter for COTI Conversion to Handheld Imager, Auxiliary Battery Pack, Battery Pack Helmet Adapter, and Custom Menu Configuration.

Pictured here with the optional viewfinder

013-1_zpse795e179.jpg

015-1_zps1a0fca79.jpg

014-1_zpsb131390b.jpg

And mounted to a standard PVS/14

018_zpsaca64595.jpg

017-1_zps6140123e.jpg

Here are some through the tube images. The first shows a large power transformer behind some concrete barriers. These were shot under difficult lighting conditions in Rural areas but with Large lighting arrays on commercial buildings in the distance.

The COTI is attached but off. Notice the projector causes no discernible image degradation.

TransformerNightVisionOnly_zps426a3410.jpg

The same scene in Outline mode.

TransformerOutline_zps45262d36.jpg

The same scene in Full Thermal mode.

TransformerFullThermal_zps9495d864.jpg

A shot looking up at Power Transmission Lines. I was surprised how much heat there was in them.

PowerLines1_zps3946b856.jpg

And Continued Below!

Re: AN/PAS-29 COTI

Next we have some vehicle shots. First with no Thermal overlay.

TruckCold_zpsd8c4e22d.jpg

The vehicle had been driven almost 2 and half hours earlier. Notice you can still see residual heat in the front wheel well.

photo4_zps202cbe96.jpg

And in keeping with tradition when photographing through a COTI, the obligatory shots of a cat, Thanks to Ed and Chaim for said tradition.

With out Thermal.

CatNightVision_zps78408bd6.jpg

With Thermal

photo3_zpsf64b6af9.jpg

So Boys and Girls, there we have it the most affordable version of Fusion Technology available to Civilians today.

These are listing at $6995.00. Hide members email or call for special pricing.
Recoil rating is as follows (from Optics 1) these units have been test fired and Qualified all the way up to 300 Win Mag not that you would ever want to put a PVS 14 on a 300 Win Mag but these informed me that they have taken the COTI that high.

And to reiterate, these are an ITAR controlled Item.

All the pics in "fusion mode" show external IR illumination. Is that needed for the fused image to work? Way cool... Email sent..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the pics in "fusion mode" show external IR illumination. Is that needed for the fused image to work? Way cool... Email sent.. </div></div>

Actually what your seeing isn't external IR illumination but rather the over splash of the projector. I took these the first night I got the thing (imagine that) and I had not figured out how to fine tune it down so the glow was significantly less noticeable. But no the unit does not need any external illumination to work. It is a 320 X 240 VOX core so it will see in absolute darkness.

Hope that clarifies!

Is the 20 degree field of view a fixed perameter or can it be adjusted to full view of the PVS-14?

Would like to see images of people with the fusion on.
Thanks
Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red6actual</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the 20 degree field of view a fixed perameter or can it be adjusted to full view of the PVS-14?

</div></div>

The 20 degree field of View is fixed and can not be adjusted. It works out quite well in actual use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to see images of people with the fusion on.
Thanks
Ron </div></div>

These are <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> my Videos, I just found them on youtube but they give ya an idea of what people look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-9gJH1eTKA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjd3TDvlEjs

That is pretty neat video images,it looks like the center is thermal and the outside is night vision.
This is a big step forward in technology.
Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is pretty neat video images,it looks like the center is thermal and the outside is night vision.
This is a big step forward in technology.
Ron </div></div>

Yes your observations about sum it up! As an aside, one of my customers who bought a unit, has spotted ground squirrels at 200 yards with the COTI.

Re: AN/PAS-29 COTI Theraml Clip On

Here are some photos (below) that show the COTI mounted to a helmet mounted AN/PVS-14. The Norotos INVG is a superior mounting system for this arrangement in being very sturdy and able to handle the extra weight and cantilevering of the PVS-14 + COTI without wobble or strain.

However, the PVS-14 + COTI is still considerably more lightweight than the DSNVG (fusion scope, not to be confused with the INVG mounting system). Note in the photo on upper right corner, how well the PVS-14 + COTI stows against the helmet with the Norotos INVG mounting system.

The PVS-14 + COTI combined with the FN FNP-45 Tactical + PEQ-14 + Trijicon LED RMR + AAC Ti-Rant 45 Sound Suppressor (pictured below) make for an outstanding Offensive Handgun Weapons System (OHWS) for covert operation in low-light conditions. The IR laser aimer and illuminator can be used with the thermal overlay on the i^2 imaging, and the LED RMR red dot has "low" output settings [for use with i^2 night vision] and will provide a focused aiming dot with the PVS-14 + COTI imaging when used to sight in on objects / targets at least 10 meters away. The FNP-45 Tactical would have been the winner of the Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) pistol trials and solicitation had the USSOCOM not over-expended on its budget.

The COTI is particularly suited for dynamic activities as it has a lightning fast capture rate of 60 Hz. That way there is no lag between movement imaged via the i^2 and via the thermal sensor. One thing to know however, is that this particular make and model of COTI uses Amorphous Silicon, not Vanadium Oxide (VOx) in its thermal core. For this reason, you will see in the operator's guide the warning to not expose the lens to direct sunlight. This COTI model will accept and the firmware can be adjusted for use with a 640x480 thermal sensor. The switch to VOx will not occur until the releases with the 640x480 thermal sensor.

The images on the lower right hand corner are captured from playback from the COTI's on-board memory. Therefore, they are thermal only but viewed through the PVS-14.

The top image [of the vertical pair] shows the thermal from Patrol Mode set to Black Hot. For testing, I have purposefully set the algorithm to the [higher] threshold with the least thermal contrast. The image is still very useable despite the worst possible setting. Note however the blurring of edges and the deep "shadows" (which are intentional for this test).

The bottom image [of the vertical pair] shows what we can do by accessing and adjusting the firmware. By decreasing the detection threshold, and therefore increasing the contrast, we can gain extreme "sensitivity" in the outline mode. Note the area I have circled in red. It is of a man standing 100 yards away. In the previous setting, he is invisible within the "shadows" of the Black Hot thermal image (which is heat stored from daylight exposure to direct sunlight emanating from the brick facing of the adjacent house). In the adjusted "outline mode", the man's profile is clearly visible.

We do something similar to the [higher resolution] FLIR T60 that allows us to gain thermal visualization / tracking of bullet trace. In this particular application, the *slower* 30 Hz capture rate [of the T60] is actually an advantage.

IR-V

m7s0hc.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Superb!

What did the Optics 1 folks say about recoil rating? </div></div>

Thanks!

There's sales people and there are engineers. Engineers don't take anyone's word [at face value only] and corroborate capability through testing.

We've tested the Optics 1 COTI on NV optics mounted to rifles chambered for 5.56x45mm and they (the COTIs) have held up fine. For rifles with harder hitting, higher recoiling cartridges, we use different "dual band", fusion optics solutions that are more sophisticated than the COTI.

IR-V

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IPSC_GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to see images of people with the fusion on.
Thanks
Ron </div></div>

These are <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> my Videos, I just found them on youtube but they give ya an idea of what people look like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjd3TDvlEjs </div></div>

I like the COTI more than the PSQ-20 i was issued in the Army

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jollicoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I noticed how the way you positioned the COTI differs from mine. If the 14s are on the right eye, I prefer the COTI sit at the 12 o'clock. And at about the 5 o'clock if it's on the left.
</div></div>
Thanks for sharing photos of your mounting arrangement.

Weaponography varies by equipment profile.

The Norotos INVG uses a "dual dovetail" PVS-14 interface that is radically different than the "wrap around" J-arm as pictured in your photos, and which orients the PVS-14 very differently. The mounting position we have selected ensures that the COTI-to-PVS-14 orientation is mirror imaged regardless of whether the PVS-14 is mounted on the left or right eye. This is particularly important as the left- or right-hand stowage, with the COTI in this position (4:00 right eye, 8:00 left eye), permits the PVS-14 + COTI to literally wrap around the contours of the helmet. This gives the most compact storage position of any mounting system, with the least amount of cantilevering -- which minimizes unwanted momentum when running, jumping, climbing, rappelling, or performing other highly dynamic activity. Plus, by keeping the center-of-gravity of the PVS-14 + COTI as close to the helmet as possible, in the stowed position, there is much less risk for neck injury when performing highly dynamic activities.

The photos below demonstrate the left-eye mount, and left-hand storage of the COTI orientation we have selected. Notice how it precisely mirrors the right-eye, right hand orientation. On the INVG, switching the PVS-14 + COTI between right and left eye can be effected in seconds, by just releasing the right dovetail and plugging in the left dovetail interface. In my organization, we train everyone who uses this equipment to be proficient at using it on either their left- or right-eye and with either their left- or right-hand. For this kind of operation, it is best to not have changes (or irregularities) in the balance and profiles of the equipment between the left and right sides.

Furthermore, there is an advantage to keeping the COTI on the outside perimeter of the PVS-14 as per our arrangement. The controls of the COTI are kept out of the way, but easy to reach, when both the PVS-14 + COTI and rifle + dayscope + IR imager are used simultaneously but on different eyes. The photos below demonstrate sighting through a TRG rifle + Zeiss / Hensoldt dayscope + FLIR T60 clip-on thermal imager with the right eye *AND* observing through the PVS-14 + COTI on the left eye, at the same time.

IR-V

suzxpl.jpg

IRV, that is some top of the line instrumentation.

The only thing that I notice you are lacking is the Truijicon RMR red dot sight mounted on top of the FLIR T-60. It does perform well as a CQB instant sight as well as being able to visualize it through my PVS-14 with the 720nm IR cut-off lens on the PVS-14 objective lens, the RMR looks just like a laser.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IRV, that is some top of the line instrumentation.

The only thing that I notice you are lacking is the Truijicon RMR red dot sight mounted on top of the FLIR T-60. It does perform well as a CQB instant sight as well as being able to visualize it through my PVS-14 with the 720nm IR cut-off lens on the PVS-14 objective lens, the RMR looks just like a laser..... </div></div>

Thanks, Skypup!

I am a big fan of the Trijicon RMR ... about a year ago, I wrote a review (on this forum) on how efficiently and effectively the reflex aiming dot can be used with i^2 night vision, and mentioned it again in my first post in this thread. The FNP-45 Tactical in my photos there have the LED Trijicon RMR in addition to the PEQ-14.

I'm much more partial to the LED-powered Trijicon RMR with the user-adjustable intensity (on the red dot) than the tritium powered ones. Some claim they prefer the tritium as being "always on" in the dark ... valid claim, but the LED version can be left on all the time and will run continuously for two years on the same battery.

As a footnote: we generally leave the Trijicon RMRs off the thermal imagers on our sharpshooter / sniper rifles as they are yet another shiny lens to reflect light and give away a more stationary shooter's position. We do use the RMRs, however, as auxilliary sights on assault rifles such as the SCAR-16 and SCAR-17 where the shooter will assume a more mobile profile.

We have ARDs (Anti-Reflection Devices) that we've developed for the large, germanium lenses of thermal scopes like the FLIR T60. In fact, if you study closely my photo of the TRG rifle, you'll see the new "scope boot" that I've custom developed and molded in our on-premises silicone rubber foundry. It goes between the ocular of the FLIR T50/T60/T65/T70/T75 or UNS/MUNS and the objective of any long-range scope with large objective diameters ranging from 50mm - 75mm. The beauty of the design is that it is the only that I know of that can make a light-proof and water-proof seal between clip-on ocular and day-scope objective when there is <span style="font-weight: bold">heavy offset </span>between the two. This design will automatically accomodate ANY offset between clip-on oculars ranging from 35mm - 40mm and day-scope objectives ranging from the 50mm - 75mm diameters described above.

Light security is very important to us. The ARDs, scope boots, and eye pieces are all important gear for cutting reflections and light emanations. I was planning to add another segment to the T60 thread down below to show how the scope boot improves viewing of the thermal image for daytime observation by cutting out interference from bright, ambient light.

IR-V

P.S. The Trijicon RMR06, which is LED powered and user-adjustable for red-dot intensity, has three brightness settings at its lower end that render the dot invisible (on the two lowest settings) and nearly invisible (at the third setting) to the naked eye, but visible through i^2 night vision. These NV-compatible settings will not bloom or put a burn on i^2 scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IPSC_GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would like to see images of people with the fusion on.
Thanks
Ron </div></div>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjd3TDvlEjs </div></div>

Nice videos huh. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nukes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Superb!

What did the Optics 1 folks say about recoil rating? </div></div>

Ok talked to OPTICS 1 about the recoil rating of the COTI and it will exceed recoil ratings you would expect. They said and I qoute, "Its been tested and qualified all the way up to 300 WinMag on a 2010... I asked who would put a PVS 14 on a 300 Win Mag and the guy just laughed and said "well we tried it," That was the answer I got. So your fine with 5.56 and 7.62 platforms if your PVS 14 can handle it. It just so happens, we are releasing our new 7.62 rated PVS-14RC (Recoil Compensating) units this month!