• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision AN PS22-2

KrazyL

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2011
Dallas, GA
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new here, I've only been lurking for about 3 months.A friend of mine has recently dragged me head first into the long range game. I've been shooting IDPA and Tac rifle for a while, but have only just recently starting putting lead down range past the 500 yard mark.

Anyway, after dumping a chunk of change on rifles, more on a .50 (because ELR is just awesome), optics, ammo, reloading equipment, Suppressors, and so on... I'm left longing for night vision. The problem is, I'm back in school and so there for on a budget. I've done some searching (here, google, other forums) and I really want a clip on front mount unit. I have a FLIR PS24 for scanning around with. so I'm not really looking for a MUM. I've found the ATN PS22-2. for the price it looks like a decent forward mount unit. Not a ton of reviews on it though. Does anyone here have one? I've used many PVs-14 gen 2 and 3 units at work. I just don't see them being a decet optic for Long range work.

Thanks,
Levi

Re: AN PS22-2

Levi,

You definitely have limitations with range with these units. A PS22 in generation 2 will give you a recognition range of about 150-200 yards depending on the ambient conditions. A gen 3 will take you from 250-350 yards once again depending on conditions as well. The PS22 is a great unit and works very well, but you will not get extreme long range out of it.

Trevor B.

There has been plenty of testing and reports with these units from many sources. We are one of them... There is a 50/50 chance or better of POA/POI issues with the PS units and we SURELY do not ever recommend these units to LE or Mil folks.

A few around here and elsewhere have a mod that helps alleviate the issue out of the box from the factory.

PM Wes1, one of the good guys had reported POA/POI issues at the beginning with his systems that mirror imaged our findings.

I see, so... What would be a decent choice for a sub $3k clip on unit for use on my bolt rigs? or should I just buy a stand alone scope? NVG stuff is way too confusing. I've only recently figured out the difference in Gen 1, 2, 3, 3p, and 4.

Levi,

The ATN PS22 in gen 2 is in your range. We have the HPT model, which is the higher spec gen 2 intensifier tube, for just over $3k, but i think I can bring in down to be in your range. That unit I've used on hunts out to 200+ yards with decent ambient conditions. I also used quite a few differnt PS22 models. Feel free to give me a cal, hide members get 5% off the top but I think I can do a little better on some of these.

Trevor B.

The PS22 is a viable option but it might need to be re-collimated. My son made his first kill,(ever) last weekend, using my SCAR17/ SPECTER DR/PS22.

3c7d8cdc.jpg

d96d30f1.jpg

NICE show Wes, VERY nice with the not so little one anymore! WoW
smile.gif

P.S. Look like he got a head shot in the first pic?
shocked.gif

They are decent if they are aligned properly. There are several people who can do this. You can also get the housing and use a gen 3 tube in one. The glass if great and pulls in a lot of light also. I have seen one used and just bought one for myself. With a gen 3 tube in it it will surprise you. The gen 2 hpt is what I got it is excellent. I am not using it in a combat environment but I have seen them used for hunting ,thrown in trucks dropped and well used. Once they have been collimated properly they are good to go. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted the atn ps22 or the l3 pvs24. I tried them both and to my suprise the atn was clearer and we were able to use in darker conditions.

Also the gen 3 tube in the ps22 did not come from atn out was an l3 tube that was installed. I have not had a chance to test my gen 2 hpt against either of these yet but hope to do so in the next few months. Tonight was the 1st time I got to use it. It was cloudy and raining and no lights for about 5miles and closest town about 20 miles. I made 1 shot at 330 meters to kill a coyote. I was using an illuminator. I had to pick him out using thermal. tomorrow I am going to compare out with a friends raptor 4x.I was able to see up tothe max on my scope 6x. So far I like it. Also use a good scope. A cheap scope will kill the quality of the image. I could have spent much much more on a pvs24 or pvs22 but couldn't justify the cost when this does everything I need it to do.

Anyone here know if you can tell what PS-22 housings will take a US gen 3 tube? From what I've read some will not take the US gen 3 tube. Anyone have pics through a factory ATN gen 3 PS-22 at set ranges? How does it compare to a MUM-14 gen 3?

MUM and PS22 are two totally different animals. It comes down to what
you're wanting to achieve. The MUM will give you more options,(weapon mounted, or helmet mounted) but the clip will allow the use of higher magnification and longer engagements.

As for the difference in the PS22 housings, it'll have to be disassembled to see if it's set up for the GEN3 tubes. Also the GEN3 tubes fit very tight and require
air to remove them.

I have a MUM and was wanting to know how the PS22 gen 3 compaired. I have a PS22 I'm looking to buy and was hoping there would be a way to tell if I could have the conversion done later. I will be putting it on my 308 SASS with a 1.5x5 MK 4 Leupold. Hope to save some money and get a LR clip on for my 6.5 Savage for long range use. Just hope the stock PS22 gen 3 will work to 3-400 yards.