• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision AN/PVS 14 weapon mounts/reviews

christian77

Sergeant
Minuteman
This topic is dedicated to different mounting options for the AN/PVS 14.

Most of my carbines are currently set-up to run the GG&G multi-flex base seen here: GG&G Multi-Flex Base
PVS-Tall-Mount2008.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Manufacturer rambling about it:</span></span>
<span style="font-style: italic">The newly designed PVS-14 Quick Detach Tall Night Vision Mount for the ITT night vision monoculars is designed to go rapidly and easily from a head/helmet mount or hand surveillance mode to a weapon mount. Once the PVS-14 weapon mount's base and ring are installed, just the rotation of the locking lever will rigidly lock the scope into place. Just as quickly, it can be removed and used to meet the tactical situation. Our unique QD ring remains attached to the night vision monocular at all times and interfaces with the weapon's mount in mere seconds. Unlike other products on the market, the removal of mount components is not required to quickly and directly attach the PVS-14 to a head or helmet mount. This flexibility and versatility is essential in tactical encounters. The QD base permits optical co-alignment with sights, such as the Aimpoint or EOTech that may be mounted in front of the night vision scope.

The PVS-14 Tall Mount provides the correct height to co-align with the Aimpoint Comp Series of optics when mounted in both GG&G Aimpoint Cantilever Rings as well as when mounted in the Aimpoint QRP ring with the spacer. It will also co-align with most night vision compatible EOTech optics when mounted directly to the upper receiver.
GG&G's PVS-14 Quick Detach Tall Night Vision Mount is fully compatible with MIL-STD-1913 dovetails. All parts are manufactured from ordnance steel and aerospace 6061 T6 aluminum and are finished matte black to mil-spec. </span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">My $0.02 on the mount</span></span>
One of the reasons I selected this mount and have stayed the course with it, is its versatility. It is a QD mount for the AN/PVS14 monocular, however it also doubles as an Aimpoint 3x magnifier mount. I can be found using either based on the situation, but the ability to quickly change between the two was a what sealed the deal for me. The mount sits in front of my TROY BUIS and their is plenty of room for my optics. I was initially concerned about running out of real estate on my receivers pic rail...but the GG&G mount is small enough that it's a non-issue. While I'm not a huge fan of GG&G, they hit a home run with this mount in my opinion. The one shown in the pic above is actually the high mount, I run the low mount.

Here you can see the same mount with the Aimpint 3x hardware:
Aimpoint3XWMntBrokenDown.jpg

Re: AN/PVS 14 weapon mounts/reviews

USGI Mount with 3x lens...This mount sucks. cant get a BUIS in there without moveing it way up the upper .feels like its about to break off the thread inserts in the pvs14 with any hard use..

imagekqg.jpg

By asm1 at 2010-05-10

Those of us that have/do serve(d) are more than familiar with this antiquated POS, Mil-Spec PVS-14 Weapon Mount (NSN:5340-01-446-8588):
wm.jpg

Not a whole lot needs to be said about this particular mount in my opinion with the proliferation of quality mounts available by just about every manufacturer under the sun.

Another quality mount that I've used for a while before settling on the GG&G is the LaRue Tactical AN/PVS14 Mount
LT133.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Manufacturer rambling about the mount</span></span>
<span style="font-style: italic">Mount your PVS-14 directly to your EOTech LT110 mount
This QD mount takes advantage of the small rail behind the LT110 EOTech mount. CNC-machined from lightweight aluminum, this mount easily adapts a PVS-14 night vision monocular to be perfectly aligned behind the LT110-mounted EOTech.

The mount comes complete with replacement mounting screw and wrench, QD adjustment wrench, vial of blue Loctite and Instructions.</span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">My $0.02 on the mount</span></span>
Excellent quality you would come to expect from LaRue Tactical, and solid as a rock per mounting. Be aware that LT mounts are known to gaul you receivers sometimes when torqued, but you have a rifle to shoot...not put on display anyways....<span style="font-weight: bold">RIGHT!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">***Here is an interesting little mod you can do to your LT mount that allows you to leave your J-arm attached for helmet mounting...pretty handy really***</span>
PVS-14mount-w-helmet.jpg

PVS-14MountJ-Arm-Mod.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Helmet Mounting with the LT133
The LT133 can be used in conjunction with a helmet J-Mount, with minor alteration. You will need to remove a small radius of material with a Dremel, or X-Acto Knife, as shown in the photo below (LT114 shown). This alteration will not weaken the J-Mount, and will allow enough clearence to mount the J-Mount in proper position and allow the user to swap from helmet-mounted, to weapon-mounted operation.</span>

Top..LARUE EOTECH ECOS-C With 552 and lt133/pvs14..the ECOS-C allows lower 3rd cowitness of Iron sites and return to zero ability for swap out to diffrent optics the Hump on the back is built for the Larue LT133 pvs14 mount and gives perfect cowitnes Both are SOLID and together are a great packag.
bottom.. AMERICAN DEFENCE PVS14 MOUNT Eotech 556..The American defence gives cowitness to tall optics,Its no where in the ball park with Larue quality,The springs that open the clamp to help clear the rail for on/Off opertaion can fall out or grt hung in the clamp,this sucks in the DARK when a springs is wedged in you KIT.. It does work and Its worth a shot,Just not a Item I would trust to life or death..

imageqj.jpg

By asm1 at 2010-10-15

MONOLOC™ UNIVERSAL ADAPTER (day scope attachment)

further information for the Monoloc
mk12mod0spr.jpg

mloc.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Manufacturer rambling:</span></span>
<span style="font-style: italic">The popular Monoloc adapter fits the ITT night vision monoculars and the MV-14 Ultra monocular. It allows for mounting of the night vision monoculars and goggles on rifle optics, close quarters battle optics, laser rangefinders, spotting scopes, cameras and camcorders. Many State and Local police agencies and individual officers use this system. This system is also in use with the US Army and US Marines as well as Federal Law Enforcement agencies. This is the system to use when land based operations are the norm! The Universal Adapter comes with your choice of bushing. </span>

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">My $0.02</span></span>
I think the Monoloc serves its purpose and has its place, but it is certainly not preferred method per viewing NV through day optics. As seen in picture 1, the eye-relief poses the biggest problem with this set-up. The MK12 MOD 0 is almost ideally set up for this given the full length 1 piece pic rail...however it's still far from great. A good alternative however to PVS22/24/27 from a cost standpoint. If using this system, I would personally just recommend zeroing the rifle with the kit attached and leaving it alone for a dedicated night rifle.

I don't know about the new stuff, but I used the first (Vietnam Era) and was quite impressed.

It wasn't until I went to sniper school where I really got to try them out at distance.

We put them on the M21 and found it was almost impossible to miss a E Sil Target up to 600 yards (in fact I didnt). As a side note, thats where I found the M21 (M14) dosnt emit any muzzle flash when fired at night.

I'd love a chance to play with the new versions.

How does putting the NV behind the primary optic not really mess with eye relief?

And it seems eye relief behind the NV is basically zero.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does putting the NV behind the primary optic not really mess with eye relief?

And it seems eye relief behind the NV is basically zero.</div></div> Excellent question...and no doubt a problem with this set up...another reason why the entire unit(s) need to be moved pretty far forward (which doesn't work on most platforms). I have and would only use this set-up on low to no recoil weapons since I have no desire to be "kissed" by my 14s on the eyebrow.

I wonder how much forced is applied the the optic resultant of recoil and weight of the PVS-14?

Has anyone used the setups similar to the monoloc that rotate to the side when not in use? My agency has several pvs-14's and I am having trouble getting them to spring for 22's so that may be my only option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: predator308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used the setups similar to the monoloc that rotate to the side when not in use? My agency has several pvs-14's and I am having trouble getting them to spring for 22's so that may be my only option.</div></div> The only FTS (Flip To Side) mounts I have seen like you are describing is for magnifiers. Certainly doesn't mean they don't exist, just means I haven't seen 'em...but I wouldn't want to mount my NVD in a FTS mount anyways bro...they are only so durable.

I've found 2. One from ATN and the other I don't recall offhand. I agree it wouldn't be optimal but right now it's that or nothing. If I can get my hands on one I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks

One of our newest entries in the PVS-14 mounting solutions is the TM-14. http://tnvc.com/items/weapon_moounts_rings/tnvc_tm14.html

It it one the quickest transition mounts out there from head to weapon and vice versa. With huge amounts of feedback from the field we designed a clean ring with no stem that can obstruct the IR lens of the 14 or turn into the gain knob, It also uses the Aimpoint Twist base that stays on the gun.

The helmet mount J-Arm staying on the PVS-14 while weapon mounted is also key to a quick transition and the TM-14 also allows this very easily.

Weight of the TM-14 is only .8oz with no heavy throw lever hanging on ones head which is also a key factor with any head mounted PVS-14 system. Weight is king when your NOD is setting on the front end of your helmet.

Here is a recent review from another user.

4847307669_3d017fd35f_b.jpg

"Head mounted? Weapon mounted? Head or weapon?!" How about both!

TNVC (Tactical Night Vision Co.) has created a modular and durable mount that provides the best of both mounting solutions. They’ve done so from the ground up, by creating a lightweight mount, weighing in at only .9oz. This creates no perceptible impact when head mounted. It is also fast to attach, modular, and with no impact on helmet or weapon configurations.

I will preface this review by admitting that my experience from night vision comes purely from the civilian world. So tactics and where certain configurations would be be used only come from that background.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Background/Usage</span>

4847929452_6a727af37d_b.jpg

To understand the purpose of the TM-14 it’s best to look at best applications of each mounting style. So why would you want to helmet mount your AN/PVS-14s? It’s pretty simple; it offers you a freedom of vision that most replicates how your normal daytime vision works. You can look up, down, left, right, all independent of your firearm. This presents a great advantage when you’re not strictly shooting at a target, but rather working with electronics, navigating in and out of vehicles, hiking, running, etc.

However there are disadvantages, such as really requiring the use of an IR laser for shouldering the weapon and still being able to hit targets. These are systems that not many are able to have access to, or trained on. As a result what you gain in independence of targeting, i.e the ability to scan the battlefield in the low ready, and the bring the gun up to fire, is offset when shouldering the weapon you’re not looking through your night compatible aiming device.

This brings us to the other mounting solution; weapon mounting. By placing the NOD behind a system like an Aimpoint, or EOTech, you’re now able to pass along the weapons zero for very accurate shots at night time. This creates an ideal setup where good, accurate, fire is required. But there’s a downside, you’re slaved to using the weapon as your mode of navigation. Meaning if you need to get from point A to point B you will be required to shoulder that weapon to move. This creates a situation where if you see something you’re not willing to shoot that by the time you’ve identified what you didn’t want to shoot it you’ve already swept it. Basically what you see is what you’re muzzle is pointing at, at night, this creates a dangerous situation especially due to the rather limited field of view, even with the best modern optics.

So what’s the best solution? How about both? Vic, Clasky, and crew have basically created a mount that doesn’t impact the quality of either optic, weapon, or either preferred mounting solution. The TM-14 is simply a ring clamp that slides over the front objective lens and on to the exposed body of the PVS14. Secured with a hex screw the TM-14 provides an extremely tight and durable lockup on the optic. Because it’s a ring mount the NOD can be rotated in any direction to account for mounting solutions like the USGI J-Arm, Wilcox J-Arm, or Norotos Dual Dovetail Mount. This echo’s the concept of “use it how you like.” This system doesn’t impede the IR illuminator and/or gain knob on the PVS-14. At 0.9oz there is no perceptible weight added to the PVS-14.

4847929418_96646d30dd_b.jpg

What’s better is that the TM-14 uses the same Aimpoint Twist Base as the 3x magnifier. This means, unlike some other PVS14 mounts, you’re not compromising giving up one optic for another. If you currently run an Aimpoint 3X Mag, then swapping the Mag out for the NOD is as simple as pressing the lever on the left of the base, and rotating counter clockwise and up. The same applies when installing, just index the base’s exposed index pivot, turn clockwise till it clicks, and you’re locked in. Because the NOD sees past the optic you never have to worry about zeroing at all. The twist base that the TM-14 uses is also extremely well made. Securing using a tensioned nut (torqued via socket wrench) that, from my experience on my .308, did not loosen despite the fact that it’s not a “throw lever.” The base itself is light, and easy to use, naturally locking when the base comes 90 degrees, and unlocking using a positive and tactile downwards push on the release lever.

4847929500_5cc04bf880_b.jpg

TNVC claims you can do the head to gun swap in around 10 seconds. After a weekend of shooting I found it could be done in or around 5 seconds once you developed the muscle memory to do so. Likewise when installing back on the helmet there is nothing to get in the way for your rhino arm. Because of the TM-14s size there is no concern about snagging. In fact after using it for hours on end I completely forgot that it was there to begin with.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Construction</span>

Made out of aircraft grade aluminum I tried to get the thing to flex but couldn’t. It’s light and strong at the same time. It also rides high enough to the optic that it will not impair your rear flip up irons. I would say if using an Aimpoint M2/M3 you may need to take in to consideration how far back your optic sits. With a T-1 however you will have no issues at all.

Also, unlike some competitive designs the TM-14 does not rely on a throw lever, which causes undue weight and annoyance when hanging from the optic.

It’s a simple design executed extremely well.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Use</span>

4847689290_697766a387_b.jpg

It’s simple, it’s light, it’s easy to forget it’s there. But what it adds are options. It doesn’t impact your ability to head mount, but still offers a solid mounting base for installing it on to any weapon (5.56 or less in caliber, no love from the PVS-14 for 7.62 sadly) with a rail behind your optic. I was able to quickly and positively disengage the NOD from my helmet, place it back on the weapon, fire, get up, and when appropriate install the NOD back on my helmet very quickly with no fumbling. To me this is a success. It has created a transparent solution to a common problem, without diminishing the experience of shooting head or weapon mounted. Unlike other mounts you’re not having to worry that you’re carrying around a throw lever ring that could hook on to gear, comms gear, or vehicle.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Last Notes</span>

I’m extremely pleased with my TM-14, as it’s added a capability to my AR-15s that I never knew I really wanted. And created a new way of using my rifle at night that I hadn’t considered due to previous mounts that are clumsy, expensive, and heavy. Vic and the guys at TNVC have knocked this out of the park, and anyone running a quality set of NODs that runs this kit for a living, or even as a hobbyist, would best consider the addition of this bit of kit.

PRI PVS 14 mount
<span style="font-style: italic">This Is The Universal Pocketscope Mount One Base Will Hold Any Of These Different Carriers. Carriers Available for The ITT-PVS-14 Litton 983 Pocket Scope And The Aimpoint Compact Sites. Adjustable Height Carrier With Locators To Prevent Slippage Horizontally Or Vertically During Firing. A Calibrated Scale To Assist The User Returning The Carrier To A Favored Sweet Spot. Two Thumb Screws With Integral Self-Locking System And Slots For Easy Removal. Tough State Of The Art Coatings Or Solid Stainless Steel Parts Are Used TO Prevent Rust and Corrosion. Non-Reflective Matte Finishes. Positive Locating Surface To Hold And Locate The PVS-14. Quick Detachable Patented A.R.M.S. Throw Lever Mounting System With Guaranteed On And Off Repeatability.</span>
31sdWKBHE1L._SL250_.jpg

Badger Ordnance SNAP
<span style="font-style: italic">The new SNAP (Scope, Night vision Adapter, Pocket) interface system from Badger Ordnance is designed to address several problems frequently faced by Military and Law Enforcement sniper/observers. It allows the user to attach a AN/PVS-14 night vision monocular behind a M151 (Leupold Mk IV 12-40×60mm) Spotting Scope.

The SNAP attaches the AN/PVS-14 to the spotting scope using a simple collet design, allowing the user to quickly attach and remove the night vision monocular without the use of any tools, and can easily be manipulated by feel in complete darkness. In addition to weight savings, compact size, and widespread use of the AN/PVS-14, another benefit to the SNAP system is the ability to mount a night vision system behind a magnified optic rather than in front of it. This allows for a crisper image at higher magnification than with most forward mounted systems. The SNAP weighs just 2.2 oz, is constructed of aerospace-grade aluminum alloy, and is hard coat Mil Spec anodize finished. Fully compatible with the Laser Interference Filter (LIF), the SNAP can also be used with the AN/PVS-7.</span>

badger_ordnance_snap.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'll check those out. The ones I found attach to the ocular lens like the monoloc but swivel to the side. If I can figure out how I will post pictures. One is by ATN and the other I found from Night Optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: door kicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">***Here is an interesting little mod you can do to your LT mount that allows you to leave your J-arm attached for helmet mounting...pretty handy really***</div></div>
Thanks... Great info!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doorkicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those of us that have/do serve(d) are more than familiar with this antiquated POS, Mil-Spec PVS-14 Weapon Mount (NSN:5340-01-446-8588):
wm.jpg

Not a whole lot needs to be said about this particular mount in my opinion with the proliferation of quality mounts available by just about every manufacturer under the sun.

Another quality mount that I've used for a while before settling on the GG&G is the LaRue Tactical AN/PVS14 Mount
LT133.jpg

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">Manufacturer rambling about the mount</span></span>
<span style="font-style: italic">Mount your PVS-14 directly to your EOTech LT110 mount
This QD mount takes advantage of the small rail behind the LT110 EOTech mount. CNC-machined from lightweight aluminum, this mount easily adapts a PVS-14 night vision monocular to be perfectly aligned behind the LT110-mounted EOTech.

The mount comes complete with replacement mounting screw and wrench, QD adjustment wrench, vial of blue Loctite and Instructions.</span>

Excellent quality you would come to expect from LaRue Tactical, and solid as a rock per mounting. Be aware that LT mounts are known to gaul you receivers sometimes when torqued, but you have a rifle to shoot...not put on display anyways....<span style="font-weight: bold">RIGHT!</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">***Here is an interesting little mod you can do to your LT mount that allows you to leave your J-arm attached for helmet mounting...pretty handy really***</span>
PVS-14mount-w-helmet.jpg

PVS-14MountJ-Arm-Mod.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Helmet Mounting with the LT133
The LT133 can be used in conjunction with a helmet J-Mount, with minor alteration. You will need to remove a small radius of material with a Dremel, or X-Acto Knife, as shown in the photo below (LT114 shown). This alteration will not weaken the J-Mount, and will allow enough clearence to mount the J-Mount in proper position and allow the user to swap from helmet-mounted, to weapon-mounted operation.</span> </div></div>

Thats interesting. I've never had to modify my J mount.
I never weapon mounted my PVS-14 since I had either a PEQ-2 or an Attila Vital on my M4's.

Mo Zam Beek,

Just curious with the collapsable stock are you able to find the proper eye relief for using just the day scope? Understanding that is not ideal or as comfortable just wondering if you can keep from having to move glass. Looking at doing this same set up as the PVS 14 seems to fill the bill for being able to go behind my Aimpoint, attach to my helmet and be used as a handheld monocular. Being able to use it on a dedicated perimeter upper would be a bonus. Thank you for your feedback.

Danel

Danel, sort of - it isn't proper, but it will work.

The first thing to do is fit it up and make it as comfy and natural as you can with the unit powered off and in the light so you can see what you are doing. Then decouple the unit and zero the day optic.

The problem is two fold: low mag - you begin to have the straw effect from having the day optic so far forward. High mag - degrades the image when the unit is piggybacked. Mid mag you need a consistent cheek weld (chin weld in the case of 1.93 mount). High contrast background and 50% cloud cover you can see large object movement well beyond 1 mile, same conditions, clearly see a bird's head and beak at 200.

The collapsible stock set helps me in various positions as it evens out shoving the optic as far forward, it helps me be more consistent about being centered behind the reticle.

It isn't perfect, but it will work. As a dedicated set up - yeah it works. It is a little more awkward but you have to really try to shoot poorly not to at least be 1 MOA at 100 even with the optic way forward. It is a little squirrelly at 4x and inside of 50 - but it works.

Good luck

Here are a few shots from tonight.

Set up - Same as above except no laser. All rounds fired were on 10x. The reticle was not lit (S&B if you're listening - your lowest NV setting is like 5x too bright). All rounds fired from prone with a rear bag and the stock fully extended. BTW that is a chrome lined N4.

Conditions - No ambient light, no stars / no moon visible, heavy cloud cover, raining. The unit was struggling - looking at a lot of noise during this session.

10 Rounds at 100 yrds: (Note first 3 rounds were shot with a 200 yrd zero and I held low. 2 of the first 3 rounds were low, with the 3rd center eye box. The remaining 7 rounds were fired with a 100 yrd zero)
IMG_0274.jpg

20 Rounds at 200 with 200 yrd zero (note 2 Mikes)I can not see any of the tape at 200.
IMG_0272.jpg

20 Rounds at 200 Rapid Fire, again using a 200 yrd zero except I just centered the 1st MIL Dot above the horizontal on the center of the head for a sight picture. The steam from the rain, the mirage off the can and the smoke against the cold air made this fairly challenging to shoot fast. Note: While I know the orange plaster is there and it is where I want to hit, I can not see it at all; I am holding 1 MIL into the head.
IMG_0273.jpg

You can see where improper head position makes this set up inferior for precision work.

I would like to have a nice clear night and try this at more like 500 yrds.

Good luck

Thank you very much that is good stuff. I have a 14.5" upper that I am looking to mount my 3.5x10 Leupold on it with my M4-2000 can. I have a friend that has a PVS-14 and the adapter so I will exercise it and see how it performs. Plus if I get this set up to work I can shot those pesky ferral hogs with it. Thanks again and hopefully I'll be able to get you some results as you have posted here. Probably use the same target and distances to evaluate how well the 14.5" works with glass and NV on it compared to your set up.

Take care,

Danel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are a few shots from tonight.

Set up - Same as above except no laser. All rounds fired were on 10x. The reticle was not lit (S&B if you're listening - your lowest NV setting is like 5x too bright). All rounds fired from prone with a rear bag and the stock fully extended. BTW that is a chrome lined N4.

Conditions - No ambient light, no stars / no moon visible, heavy cloud cover, raining. The unit was struggling - looking at a lot of noise during this session.

10 Rounds at 100 yrds: (Note first 3 rounds were shot with a 200 yrd zero and I held low. 2 of the first 3 rounds were low, with the 3rd center eye box. The remaining 7 rounds were fired with a 100 yrd zero)
IMG_0274.jpg

20 Rounds at 200 with 200 yrd zero (note 2 Mikes)I can not see any of the tape at 200.
IMG_0272.jpg

20 Rounds at 200 Rapid Fire, again using a 200 yrd zero except I just centered the 1st MIL Dot above the horizontal on the center of the head for a sight picture. The steam from the rain, the mirage off the can and the smoke against the cold air made this fairly challenging to shoot fast. Note: While I know the orange plaster is there and it is where I want to hit, I can not see it at all; I am holding 1 MIL into the head.
IMG_0273.jpg

You can see where improper head position makes this set up inferior for precision work.

I would like to have a nice clear night and try this at more like 500 yrds.

Good luck </div></div>

did you run any ir illuminator?

No laser / No IR light / No Ambient / No Stars / No Moon - a rainy / cloudy / cool night.

It was a great night to demonstrate what the unit alone can do and not do. In looking at some things that were 300 - 500 yrds away on that same night I'd say as long as I had some contrast I'd make the hit but the A zone counts would be down precipitously.

As for IR Illum - I have a 'Torch'http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/elr_torch.html It was worthless @ 200. Even on clear nights the beam diffuses to the point where it becomes worthless even on the best nights at 300+.

I'd rather have the best unit I could, rather than rely on IR Illum. Just me.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No laser / No IR light / No Ambient / No Stars / No Moon - a rainy / cloudy / cool night.

It was a great night to demonstrate what the unit alone can do and not do. In looking at some things that were 300 - 500 yrds away on that same night I'd say as long as I had some contrast I'd make the hit but the A zone counts would be down precipitously.

As for IR Illum - I have a 'Torch'http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/elr_torch.html It was worthless @ 200. Even on clear nights the beam diffuses to the point where it becomes worthless even on the best nights at 300+.

I'd rather have the best unit I could, rather than rely on IR Illum. Just me.

Good luck

</div></div>

Not sure but everyone reports 400 yards+ plus with the torch. Was it a full moon or something along those lines? I would return that unit to have it checked out as they do reach further than you're reporting. Thank you.

vic,

is there obvious beam dispersion differences between the first version torch and the new model?

doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for IR Illum - I have a 'Torch'http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/elr_torch.html It was worthless @ 200. Even on clear nights the beam diffuses to the point where it becomes worthless even on the best nights at 300+.</div></div> Pretty surprised to see that you aren't having luck with your illuminator brother...I've had great results with it both CONUS and OCUNUS. I'd send it back to Victor to see if something is wrong with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DGUNN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">vic,

is there obvious beam dispersion differences between the first version torch and the new model?

doug </div></div>

First version was a fixed beam version (approx. 6deg) with an effective range of approx. 300 yards. The 2nd version (latest) has a variable beam of a 2 deg - 8 deg, with the the 2 deg setting reaching out to 500 yards. Not sure what version you have. Give me an email or IM to insure all is working as it should. Thanks Brother.

Vic