• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Analysis Paralysis on my first Precision Rifle

Precision rifle for PRS & Hunting, high quality, moderate budget, & customization options

• Bergara Premier HMR Pro

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Bergara B-14 HMR

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Tikka T3X CTR and a new chassis/stock

Votes: 63 81.8%

• Total voters

ReachOut&TouchSomebody

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
Hey shooters, new member here and I got to the forum by researching what I should do for my first precision rifle. I've looked up the rifles I'm researching, but still can't land on the right path. I figured I would puke out all my details here and if someone has some good advice, it might help. If not, well, I'm in the same boat still.

Background
I currently own a Tikka T3 Superlite in 300 Win Mag and hunt every year taking deer 150-200+yds out. I just got the barrel chopped and threaded for a brake, and I'm dropping it into a Body's At-One Stock (probably post on that separately). I just picked up a Savage 12 FV that I'm planning on dropping into an MDT XRS. I'm good on glass, already have my heart set on a few options. So that's some general background that might frame my experience.

The Problem
I've wanted to go long-range, and I am going to a long-range training course out in CA at the end of the year, very pumped for this. Aside from the class, I want to get into PRS and do some dedicated travel for long-range shoots. As I started to research, like many I got onto Defiance actions and the like from top NRL and PRS shooters. After I was done pricing out those options and came back to reality, I realized that I wanted something high quality that could be reconfigured or re-barreled later on, but I probably won't ever justify the expense. So I changed gears and I was going to get the BadRock Southfork Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor ($2k+ after rail and brake etc.). High priced rifle and then I started to turn my nose up at a 26" barrel.

So then I got really intrigued by the HMR from Bergara. Got to fondle a Bergara B-14 HMR at Cabela's, but really like the look and features of the Bergara Premier HMR Pro. One of the big questions I have for owners of the pro is: what made you settle on the Pro and are you satisfied with the value vs features? People on Reddit dump on the price increase and downplay the differences (that's why I'm here seeking wiser people), but the TriggerTech trigger seems great, Cerakote vs bluing, and the bolt seems like a big upgrade (I don't know enough to know if the barrel and action material difference is worth it). It looks like I could also get a Bergara Premier HMR Pro barreled action, and then drop it into a chassis or something. This is unfinished though, so need to send it out for Cerakote.

Third option I'm looking at is Tikka T3X CTR and dropping it into a chassis. Having a Tikka already, I know the sexy bolt feel, and the out of the box accuracy.

Some Requirements
-I want quality, but I don't want to spend so much that I'll feel the need to move to Utah in order to get the value out of my insane rifle purchase (up to ~2k for the platform w/o glass seems reasonable to me, and spending less allows me to get the long list of insane accessories that these setups seem to require).
-Having craned my neck on hunting stocks for years, adjustable length of pull and cheek combs are important to me. I like the look of a chassis, but also starting to look at Manners stocks after liking the HMR stock
-Although I'm looking for a PRS type gun, I do want to be able to hunt with it (hence turning away from the 26" barrel)
-I'm not a reloader. This is big, I see a lot of thread comments going here fast. I have a Hornady Lock 'N Load Ammo Plant (which I don't think is suitable for precision rifle) and I don't have any dies or anything for rifle calibers. I might get into this later in life, but I don't have any plans right now.
-I've been looking at 6.5CM because I don't reload, but there's a lot of good ammo and seems to be a little better than .308 for the type of shooting I'm looking at.
-Threaded barrel is heavily desirable. I like putting brakes on my stuff and might as well save on the smithing to send out for this, although I have done it.
-Building something is very intriguing, but I don't have any of the tools or headspace gauges for these types of rifles

Closing Thoughts
Ok, so brass tax, I really appreciate those that are still reading :LOL:. I'm wondering if the HMR Pro is truly worth it over the B-14 HMR (i.e. re-barreling it later in life, getting into reloading later (that safety feature in the bolt), better accuracy, etc.) and then comparing either HMR against the Tikka T3X CTR. Tikka costs about the same as the B-14 HMR, but does it outshoot the Pro considerably? Is the 20" barrel of the CTR too limiting? There are some stock and chassis options for the Tikka, but there's obviously more options for a 700 clone like the HMR.

Have I resonated with anyone? I appreciate any and all advice/comments. I'm obviously in the weeds, so details are appreciated. Saw a lot of comments on here like, "get a Tikka" and I kept wondering which model.

I would go for the “fourth” option. Get a Bighorn Origin barreled action from Keystone. TT primary trigger and a chassis/stock with the remaining money. Will get you a foundation that will always be relevant.
I saw someone mention Bighorn, which I must have glossed over when I was looking at custom actions. Is that Keystone Accuracy? Doesn't look like they're doing any sales.

I'm seeing Patriot Valley Arms doing them for ~$1500. I'll do some research on the Bighorns, but that pricing reminds me of when I was spec'ing out the Defiant stuff and quickly had a rifle going north of $3k.

Thank you for the recommendation!

I saw someone mention Bighorn, which I must have glossed over when I was looking at custom actions. Is that Keystone Accuracy? Doesn't look like they're doing any sales.

I'm seeing Patriot Valley Arms doing them for ~$1500. I'll do some research on the Bighorns, but that pricing reminds me of when I was spec'ing out the Defiant stuff and quickly had a rifle going north of $3k.

Thank you for the recommendation!

Scroll to the bottom. Threaded barreled action for $1275. Trigger should be about $150. Gives you a little under $600 for a chassis of your choosing.

What’s the price difference between the tikka lite and CTR where you are?

I got a lite because custom actions in my area are stupid expensive and all I really wanted was the action and trigger, it got a new barrel and chassis so the CTR had nothing to offer me over the lite.

CTR pic rail is also 0 moa and if you are going to replace the CTR stock with a chassis anyway, you might be better off getting a lite in .308win and a 6.5cm heavy contour prefit depending on how all the $ adds up.

Either sell the .308 barrel or keep it and have a switch barrel hunting/long range rifle?

What’s the price difference between the tikka lite and CTR where you are?

I got a lite because custom actions in my area are stupid expensive and all I really wanted was the action and trigger, it got a new barrel and chassis so the CTR had nothing to offer me over the lite.

CTR pic rail is also 0 moa and if you are going to replace the CTR stock with a chassis anyway, you might be better off getting a lite in .308win and a 6.5cm heavy contour prefit depending on how all the $ adds up.

Either sell the .308 barrel or keep it and have a switch barrel hunting/long range rifle?
The CTR is $1k on the nose, and the T3x Lite is $680. It's not a bad idea. Probably wouldn't save anything but nice to have two barrels. Give me an excuse to buy all the gunsmithing gear to switch back and forth :D

The CTR is $1k on the nose, and the T3x Lite is $680. It's not a bad idea. Probably wouldn't save anything but nice to have two barrels. Give me an excuse to buy all the gunsmithing gear to switch back and forth :D
I reread your original post and did not see reference to any allegiance you had to a local gun shop. If that is the case, the prices you mentioned are a bit high. If you have a local FFL that is willing to do a transfer, I am seeing blued lites in the $550 and blued CTRs in the $790 ranges, before shipping, tax and transfer fees.

For the price range you mention (~$2k), the Bighorn route would be a good one. I have owned a Bergara HMR Premiere, and it is quite a nice rifle, but it's not Bighorn nice.

I reread your original post and did not see reference to any allegiance you had to a local gun shop. If that is the case, the prices you mentioned are a bit high. If you have a local FFL that is willing to do a transfer, I am seeing blued lites in the $550 and blued CTRs in the $790 ranges, before shipping, tax and transfer fees.
Yeah, that's a good point. I got an FFL I could try and go through. I'm just looking up through Cabela's and the like.

For the price range you mention (~$2k), the Bighorn route would be a good one. I have owned a Bergara HMR Premiere, and it is quite a nice rifle, but it's not Bighorn nice.
Oh, that's interesting. I haven't heard much about bighorn to be honest, and there's not a lot of available info on them either (reviews, videos, etc.). You're saying they're higher quality than the Premieres though, huh? I guess that makes sense since they're just doing custom actions.

Welp, another serious, and new, option to consider :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, that's a good point. I got an FFL I could try and go through. I'm just looking up through Cabela's and the like.

I would get unnecessary root canals before buying a firearm at Cabelas ever again. Worst experience had to deal with three different people, two Ipads just to buy one rifle.

Pack and Post Lancaster had an RR series Remington 700 P in some sort of stock with DBM yesterday when I was in there. Think it was .308, They also had a rifle in in some flavor of 6mm.

There were other tac rifles in there I think a Styer or something.

Im a .308 fan boy and an R700file.

My thought is moderatly priced rifle, solid scope, savings used for ammo and a PSR101 class at Sig Sauer.

My suggestions are not relevant in the 6mm age.

Last edited:
Oh, that's interesting. I haven't heard much about bighorn to be honest, and there's not a lot of available info on them either (reviews, videos, etc.). You're saying they're higher quality than the Premieres though, huh? I guess that makes sense since they're just doing custom actions.

Welp, another serious, and new, option to consider :ROFLMAO:

Well, the Premiere action is really nice, and the whole setup comes with a Triggertech trigger, stainless fluted bolt, etc. Bergara barrels are excellent, but are also proprietary, so you need to replace it with a Bergara barrel. If you have the ability or an inexpensive gunsmith to go to, then kitting up your own is really straight forward - and Bighorn actions are great value (price/performance). Also, while the Premiere's stock isn't bad by any means, I didn't fit me quite right (seemed a little skinny to me). You can sell it and replace with something you'd buy regardless, but that's a little $ lost and time/hassle.

I would get unnecessary root canals before buying a firearm at Cabelas ever again. Worst experience had to deal with three different people, two Ipads just to buy one rifle.

Pack and Post Lancaster had an RR series Remington 700 P in some sort of stock with DBM yesterday when I was in there. Think it was .308, They also had a rifle in in some flavor of 6mm.

There were other tac rifles in there I think a Styer or something.

Im a .308 fan boy and an R700file.

My thought is moderatly priced rifle, solid scope, savings used for a PSR101 class at Sig Sauer.

My suggestions are not relevant in the 6mm age.
I feel ya. I just picked up a Savage 12 FV from Cabelas because they were on sale and wanted to build something fun in .308. It was an absolutely miserable experience.

I hadn't heard of Pack and Postal but I'll need to check them out. Like...today lol. Thanks for the tip!

Your advice is definitely still valid. I have always wanted a 20" Remington 700 in .308, and I'm really surprised I don't have one yet. I signed up for a PSR101-style course out west and in all my research I drifted towards 6.5CM as a happy medium for some more modern ballistics and not being a reloader.

Reactions: pmclaine
Well, the Premiere action is really nice, and the whole setup comes with a Triggertech trigger, stainless fluted bolt, etc. Bergara barrels are excellent, but are also proprietary, so you need to replace it with a Bergara barrel. If you have the ability or an inexpensive gunsmith to go to, then kitting up your own is really straight forward - and Bighorn actions are great value (price/performance). Also, while the Premiere's stock isn't bad by any means, I didn't fit me quite right (seemed a little skinny to me). You can sell it and replace with something you'd buy regardless, but that's a little $ lost and time/hassle.
You can get Bergara Premier Barreled Actions for $1,050, which intrigued me. Doesn't come with the trigger or the cerakote finish. I guess for similar money it would be good to have a BigHorn action down the road to rebarrel vs the Bergara.

If you bump up to $2,500 there are a few production options.

You can get Bergara Premier Barreled Actions for $1,050, which intrigued me. Doesn't come with the trigger or the cerakote finish. I guess for similar money it would be good to have a BigHorn action down the road to rebarrel vs the Bergara.

I've looked at the Bergara barreled actions, and they are really not a good deal. You can get the full-up Premiere for $1400ish, so you're spending $350 less for the barreled action, but not getting the trigger or the stock. Trigger is good to go, and if you want to change the stock, you can sell the existing for a few hundred.

I don't have enough experience to be helpful. Just here to say I feel your pain. Good problem to have though. May the force be with pew.

Reactions: drew_235
From a strictly out of the box or off the shelf standpoint. The Howa 1500 is a great shooting rifle at a decent price. At least the ones I have are, and others that I know who have/shoot them. They are reasonably priced. You can even "roll your own" with a barreled action from Brownells, and the rest of the parts that you like from wherever. I went Howa to start because I could afford it and my local 'smith/LGS had one that I was able to fondle before I bought it. One of these days when I can afford it I would like to build one off a Bighorn or Defiance action.

I went for the Bergara Premier for $1,400 out the door. Excellent trigger, uses AICS mags (comes with one Magpul AICS mag), very nice metal finish, and the fluted bolt feels as good as it looks. Mine is in 300 Win Mag. Remember to add the cost of a decent muzzle break to the HMR Pro, as it ships with a protector only. The stock fits me very well, and keeps the recoil from being too noticeable. Considering all your choices, might want to throw a dart to make up your mind🤪

Reactions: AllAheadFull
I’d have have a hard time picking any Bergera over a Tikka. I’ve shot many rounds out of both. If it’s my money, it’s a Tikka CTR. This is as about an easy as a decision as it gets.

Ok, I really appreciate everyone's insight and feedback. I've made some decisions [purchases], so I thought I would share.

I have a Tikka T3 in .300 Win Mag, so I know how amazing they are and it was a very close decision. I decided to go with a Big Horn Origin.

I'm doing:
BH Origin SA
TriggerTech Primary Trigger
Preferred Barrel Blank in 6.5CM - added some custom elements to this and can't wait to see it
KRG Bravo Chassis

I also bought the gunsmithing tools to build [assemble] this myself along with a backup rifle based off Savage 12FV action. I'll probably start some separate threads to chronicle the builds with costs and lessons learned. That's a thing, right?

Thank you for this thread. "Analysis Paralysis" This is exactly where I am atm. Still not sure exactly what I'm about to do but this did help.

I was where you are at 6 months ago. I bought the Tikka Tac A1 and have zero regrets. Recently upgraded optics to a Razor Gen 2 and now have a rifle & scope than can shoot better than I can run it. I am so pleased with the Tikka I bought another one last week from a Hide member for my 13 year old son. Put a PST Gen 5-25x50 on it for him. Got to keep the deck stacked in my favor for as long as I can. The biggest draw back on the Tikka is there is no option for a 12 round mag for PRS that I know of. My goal is to use the time to shoot clean stages. If I get to consistently running 10 of 12 on a stage, I look to buy another rifle system.

Good luck,
Bob