• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Analysis please - first 30 reload rounds

Emryse

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Folks,

I'm excited to be getting into reloading, worked my first batch up last week and took 'em out to range. I wanted to quick review what I did, and then review my results in the field, and I was hoping that I could get some feedback on those results, as I'm a bit surprised by the MVs I'm seeing. I hope I haven't done anything super dumb or unsafe - please go easy on me.

The Rifle
I'm running a custom .308 quality rig. Krieger MTU contour barrel, 24" w/ 1:12 twist and a TBAC muzzle brake for the 30P suppressor (I shot these unsuppressed). Broke in the barrel right from brand new. I'm following a minimal disturbance cleaning regime which includes a coppering equilibrium for consistency. Until these reloads, I've been shooting only Southwest Ammunition premium 175 SMKs - only 150 rounds total through the barrel.

RELOAD PROCESS
I'm using the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme setup - RCBS FL .308 die set. Prep included sizing, trimming using the Lee case length gauge to 2.008~, chamfering inside/outside neck edges lightly, and pocket uniforming lightly. Ran through cleaner with walnut media. Once clean, primed with RCBS hand primer (where I ran into an issue with most of the shells - the pocket edge was not allowing the primer to go in, so I chamfered the edge to bevel a bit so it would slip in - primers seated tight after that no problems). I am then set my charge dispenser to ~42 grains and trickled up to 43 grains. Finally, I seated the bullet. I wanted to use my SW ammo round as a "template" for COAL, so I used one of their rounds to set up the seating die - no crimp. I did not uniform the tip of the HP, so my COAL measurements using calipers came out to between 2.808 - 2.810 with a few outliers higher or lower within a few thousandths (I attribute this to the non-uniform tip).

ROUND COMPONENTS
SW Ammo brass
43 gr Varget
175 SMK
CCI #200 primer

RESULTS
I used a Chrony set up about 12 feet away from muzzle, and shooting about 6-10" above sensors. Elevation of 800ft with 52 degrees, 33.5% humidity, and 30.29 inHg taken from my Kestrel 4500NV. Ammo temps same as ambient, as I had all ammo sitting out in the open air, but not direct in sunlight. Approximately 60-90 seconds between each round fired. Here's the data (shot number, MV fps):
#151 - 2724mv
152 - 2731
153 - 2727
154 - 2728
155 - 2764
156 - 2740
157 - 2753
158 - 2745
159 - 2552 (I don't know what happened here)
160 - 2744
161 - 2743
162 - 2726
163 - 2738
164 - 2723
165 - 2739
166 - 2739
167 - 2746
168 - 2734
169 - 2728
170 - 2711
171 - 2763
172 - 2736
173 - 2739
174 - 2738
175 - 2749
176 - 2787
177 - 2760
178 - 2743
179 - 2731
180 - 2731

So, some of my questions:
1.) While using the Chrony, I was aiming at targets 200 yards away, and the targets were in different places around a 4 ft x 4 ft grid - does the slight bore axis shift caused by aiming at different targets cause a significant difference in measured MV from the Chrony? (In other words, do I need to keep the rifle on a rest, or pointed in exactly the same spot for all of the shots I want to measure to have the most consistent measurement accuracy, or is it OK to do what I did?)

2.) I'm surprised (based on what I've read other people reporting for MVs using 175SMK and Varget 43 gr loads) at my high MVs - are those normal or hot? If so, what is causing them to be hot?

3.) I did not see any splitting, dents, chips, or any other unusual marks or features on any of the spent casings once fired. All rounds fired fine, and nothing felt unusual. What else should I be looking for?

4.) Anything I'm not thinking about, should measure, should do, factor, consider to improve my understanding of load development and anticipation of results?

5.) Are my component choices fine?

6.) Anyone else have experience reloading the SW Ammo brass - and what are your thoughts?

I sure appreciate any and all helpful input - thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

1.) No, it will not make that much of a difference. Any propagation of error would be found in the measuring device itself.

2.) Those velocities are right on the money and typical for a 175 grain SMK bullet profile with that length of barrel and that caliber. Nothing to worry about.

3.) You should look at the primers. Are they still rounded at the edges? Are the edges flattening at all? Is the primer "cupping" around the firing pin? These are all signs of pressures. The greater the deformation of the primer, the greater the pressure. If the primers look about the same as when you loaded them, you are still fine.

4.) I would next work on Optimum Charge Weight, or OCW for short. Barrel harmonics and recoil characteristics dictate a certain velocity. So going with different velocities that best fit the accuracy of the rifle is next. Look up OCW techniques and there are a ton. You will find that certain powder weights produce tighter groups than others. Go with the tightest group. That is your optimum charge weight.

5.) Your reloading components are fine. I am not sure which scope you are using. The components for the rifle seem fine as well.

6.) I have not had experience reloading SW ammo. Reload the stuff until it separates at the heads. Depending on all kinds of factors, you might get anywhere from 5-10 firings out of each piece of brass. Research about the x-die from RCBS. They greatly prolong the life of brass by forcing the brass back towards the base. Otherwise, keep your case lengths in check, as each firing "grows" the brass making the cases longer over time.

Anything else, let us know. You seem to be doing very well and have a very good mind for reloading. You are careful, which is a key quality in reloading. Some people are not careful and well… they have almost been awarded some of the last few Darwin Awards. Enjoy and have fun shooting!!

Really appreciate the time you took to provide this feedback. As far as OCW goes, I've noted that people are preferring 43 and 45 grains. So, my next questions are:
7.) Does barrel life diminish significantly when choosing, say, 45 grains over 43?

8.) Beyond the x-sizer die, any thoughts on annealing, or is it not worth it?

Also, since you asked about my scope, I figured I should probably be more specific on my setup:
- .308 Raven Rifles build on AICS 2.0
- Rifle Basix trigger, 2lbs
- Pierce Eng. action
- Krieger MTU 24" 1:12
- Premier 5x25.5.56
- TBAC 30P-1
- Atlas V8

So far with the SW ammo I've managed to shoot sub-moa groups a couple of times, and half moa consistently. But, as I said earlier, I'm completely new to all of this, and this is my first rifle. So I really appreciate the help and tips - I'm looking forward to exploring OCW more in-depth.