• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Analyze my shooting (video)

bfk4lyfe

Minuteman
Jul 1, 2010
CA and NV
Took a short video of me shooting a five shot group this morning, looking for any feed back, don't be shy. Things I see:

- I lightly tap the trigger a few times before I settle into position, I assume I'm trying to perfect the placement, but once I find it I think my follow through is good.
- The first shot I was clearly not set up right as I reposition, but then I seem to stay in position for the next few shots (this was reflected in the group too, first shot was low and left, the next three literally went into the same hole, and I pulled the fifth, which I felt when it happened but can't see anything obvious in the video).
- It takes me a while to get my hand wrapped back around the pistol grip.
- Bolt manipulation is way slow, wasn't going for speed, but i should have ran it faster.

I had no idea I was doing any of this, except the bolt manipulation, I could tell I was dragging on that, video doesn't lie...

First off you're shooting with the wrong hand, LOL. You picked up on the trigger issue so no need to mention that. Recoil management and follow through looked pretty good as well. Hard to tell how much you are/are not loading the bipod. I always try to shoot with the bipod as low as I can be comfortable, you looked a little high but that might be your comfortable position. It almost looks like the bipod isn't square to the target and the last thing is to see if you are keeping the gun level as you cycle the bolt.

How was the group? Overall it didn't look bad. Some that know much more will be along shortly...

Reactions: flyfisher117
- trigger finger not at 90
-work the bolt with 2 fingers not whole hand, more wrist less arm
-tigger follow through too long
-squeezing grip way too hard
-prob don't leave thumb around grip so can slide hand further forward to get finger at 90
-bipod a smidge high
-shoulders tense AF...im betting your body not straight behind rifle
-right shoulder way in font of left shoulder...square up shoulder, hips and legs

good
-keeping head down.
-holding trigger back (follow through) just doing it too long

overall not bad just super tense...like a giant bear hug.

GL
DT

One thing that helped me big time was wearing double ear pro. It stops me from flinching and I can see where the reticle breaks with bullet impact.

4A4BACA3-9287-4B82-AA6D-2A784BA2A1D0.jpeg
said group, bottom left was #1, top left #5

Agreed on bipod, felt ok at the time, does look high tho. I never would have picked up on shoulders or squeezing grip too tight, will work on those. Thanks so far.

The only reason I'me replying here is because I'm a lefty too LOL! I can't add much to what's already been said. You're following through, but the follow through on the 2nd, 4th, and 5th shots made it look like you were in a hurry compared to the other shots.

Reactions: bfk4lyfe
- trigger finger not at 90
-work the bolt with 2 fingers not whole hand, more wrist less arm
-tigger follow through too long
-squeezing grip way too hard
-prob don't leave thumb around grip so can slide hand further forward to get finger at 90
-bipod a smidge high
-shoulders tense AF...im betting your body not straight behind rifle
-right shoulder way in font of left shoulder...square up shoulder, hips and legs

good
-keeping head down.
-holding trigger back (follow through) just doing it too long

overall not bad just super tense...like a giant bear hug.

GL
DT

How can you tell if a bipod is too high?

Reactions: Steel head
I was wondering that too. He has no idea of what the terrain in front of the shooter looks like or the elevation difference between the shooter and the target.

I was wondering that too. He has no idea of what the terrain in front of the shooter looks like or the elevation difference between the shooter and the target.

There is that, but I was wondering if it had to do with the muzzle being slightly higher than the action, or shooters chest in relation to the ground. Like how a 6-9" doesn't work well for the hefties out there. I was not asking to argue, or play what if?

3 reasons

- he nvr contradicted or said or said anything about shooting up hill

- he nvr squished down into bag. always squeezing bag to get the height in the rear. always a bad idea

- chest shoulders elbows all tense and keeping him off ground. muscles are flexing keeping him elevated and chest too high. any time you are that tense its impossible to get low.

as mentioned it works for hefty guys and older folks who just cant get that low. and high isnt always bad. his high was bad is why i mentioned it. constantly fighting it with muscles which will fatigue.

pretty easy to spot actually.

GL
DT

Reactions: supercorndogs