• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision And then there was one — Wilcox RAID-x

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    Good golly Miss Molly.

F5D17B28-FBCC-4B9E-B5B4-265538822B70.jpeg

6D230303-ACEF-4688-9778-569AB266C665.jpeg

C8DA1AE8-ADC1-4310-B9AA-460913BBDED9.jpeg

106C6BAC-B1CB-49DA-BA5B-D85B1D7DBEE1.jpeg

MAWL-killer

More to come.

First off congrats, excellent find and I know people who have used them and they are fantastic. I like how the module is on one side like the MAWL for parallel zero.

Can you confirm it takes the regular remote switch from a SureFire dual pressure pad.
    I will be an official member of Raid X Club very soon and was curios as I could find anything to confirm. Awesome little unit!

• Haha
    Reactions: uscgCGIS
    It comes with the SF dual rail switch in the pouch, so yes, it uses the standard switch as the ATPIAL.

I'd love to see some.photos of the ir light and laser at close range and 50 yrds. Nice little pkg. Looks small sitting in the hand.

Reactions: TNVC_Will
    It comes with the SF dual rail switch in the pouch, so yes, it uses the standard switch as the ATPIAL.

Much appreciated, cant wait to see some performance pics. I can‘t wait for my unit. Been using a mawl for a year + and it is fantastic, but boy does half the weight and more power/features sound good to me.

Badass and 5.4oz is way nice. Looking forward to some NV pics.

Reactions: TheHorta
    I have something very special planned, but I may need some help deciding.

So, for rifles I have various all-factory KACs (SR-15 and 25), LMT MRPs, Noveske N4’s, amongst other things.

For optics I have Aimpoint T2’s plus Magnifiers on various mounts, including a Unity high-rise, EOTech EXPS3 plus Magnifier, Elcan SpecterDR 1/4x, ACOG ECOS w/ RMR, Razor HD Gen III 1-10x, SB’s, etc.

For NV I have various head-mounted stuff — DTNVGs, WP 14’s, ANVIS-6 — plus dedicated and clip-ons weapon mount: PVS-30, PVS-27 MUNS, PVS-24 CNVD, etc.

For thermal I have Halo-LR, ReapIR 60mm, LWTS-LR, UTC-Xii, CRATOS, and some Flir/Arma and ATN (yes... ATN).

For IR I have MAWLs, Raptars, Perst, A3/A4, Atilla, and now the RAID-x.

Plus sundry SF WMLs.

I want to build the ultimate all-purpose, multi-role day/night rifle.

At first I was thinking suppressed SR-15 with Elcan, CRATOS, RAID-x, and SF M600 DF. Keep it nimble and light with a fairly wide “mission” envelope (I hate coopting .MIL terms, since I’m the ultimate low-drag guy, but...).

Then I’m thinking the CRATOS is good for a max of 200-300 yards, which generally works fine for me, but that UTC is just The Nuts — but if I go UTC I’ll need to up the optic to the G3 Razor, adding a fair bit of weight. Then I’d want to use a Raptor S/ES for Trace-IR support with the UTC, which adds yet more bulk and weight.

Vicious cycle.

What’s a girl to do?

I was out playing with the Raid last night. Love the variable output on both laser and illuminator — a la Atilla.

The one thing the MAWL has over the RAID, and probably everything else (except perhaps the Perst3) is the WIDE / Indoor setting that just FLOODS a room with soft IR illumination. The Raid doesn’t have such a setting.

While I don’t CQB for a living, I can see where this can be helpful.

The REALLY nice thing with the Raid is that you don’t even feel it on the end of your rifle. It’s fantastic.

This thing is a light saber. Having a LOT of time behind an Atilla, it’s not a new experience, but what Wilcox has managed to cram into this little gem, and the programmability of it, is truly amazing.

Reactions: mikeb127
    Do you have the manual with yours? The IL setting can be programmed to a wide fov fixed NIR room illuminator.....one of the softest/cleanest out there. It's the default factory setting. "IL" can be programmed to either be the "covert" adjustable illuminator at lower power or the fixed room illuminator mentioned above. Very cool feature.

Where the the MAWL-DA/C1+ really stands apart is the speed of mode switching when in dynamic scenarios. Approach to entry etc.

Last edited:
    Do you have the manual with yours? The IL setting can be programmed to a wide fov fixed NIR room illuminator.....one of the softest/cleanest out there. It's the default factory setting. "IL" can be programmed to either be the "covert" adjustable illuminator at lower power or the fixed room illuminator mentioned above. Very cool feature.

Where the the MAWL-DA really stands apart is the speed of mode switching when in dynamic scenarios. Approach to entry etc.

Oh damn! You're right!

I wondered why I couldn't see "IL" outside in the field. In a blacked-out room it's FLIPPIN' AWESOME!

Thank brutha!

Also to note, i found one of these online for 5500. Seem like a decent price? Im honestly thinking of picking it up...

As long as it's not a pre-owned .GOV unit. The real issue is, if the S/N is listed on a .GOV PO, then you're sunk. It's definitely something to be avoided. Some MFGs allow dealers to order excess numbers of certain products for "support and warranty" purposes (some products are drop-ship only). The excess numbers are not on Agency POs and they never take delivery of the extra units, so while MFGs definitely do NOT want their dealers selling-off the extras, some dealers do to make a few extra bucks doing so. Also, sometimes agency POs get canceled or changed and they don't take delivery of the full quantity. Also, I know of cases where an agency ordered something but didn't get what they expected -- in one case they ordered some NV units at a price. No one specified GP/WP, but the price was for GP. When they received the units, they were under the impression that they were supposed to get WPs and complained to the dealer. Ultimately, the dealer got them what they wanted and he sat on a bunch of GPs which the MFG wouldn't take back, so what else could he do? Another instance is when MFGs allow dealers to buy demo units. Some dealers will eventually sell them to "special" customers.

All of the above is 100% GRAY MARKET -- but it's NOT *criminal* or buying stolen .GOV gear. That's BLACK market. For the purchaser, like me, that's all the difference in the world. I have zero qualms buying LEGIT gray market stuff. I know the MFGs don't like it. I know I don't get a warranty or MFG support. I know the MFG may or will dump a dealer they catch selling their stuff to we mere mortals, but I don't have to be concerned with getting a visit from ABC.GOV, which is the only thing I make sure never happens again.

As long as it's not a pre-owned .GOV unit. The real issue is, if the S/N is listed on a .GOV PO, then you're sunk. It's definitely something to be avoided. Some MFGs allow dealers to order excess numbers of certain products for "support and warranty" purposes (some products are drop-ship only). The excess numbers are not on Agency POs and they never take delivery of the extra units, so while MFGs definitely do NOT want their dealers selling-off the extras, some dealers do to make a few extra bucks doing so. Also, sometimes agency POs get canceled or changed and they don't take delivery of the full quantity. Also, I know of cases where an agency ordered something but didn't get what they expected -- in one case they ordered some NV units at a price. No one specified GP/WP, but the price was for GP. When they received the units, they were under the impression that they were supposed to get WPs and complained to the dealer. Ultimately, the dealer got them what they wanted and he sat on a bunch of GPs which the MFG wouldn't take back, so what else could he do? Another instance is when MFGs allow dealers to buy demo units. Some dealers will eventually sell them to "special" customers.

All of the above is 100% GRAY MARKET -- but it's NOT *criminal* or buying stolen .GOV gear. That's BLACK market. For the purchaser, like me, that's all the difference in the world. I have zero qualms buying LEGIT gray market stuff. I know the MFGs don't like it. I know I don't get a warranty or MFG support. I know the MFG may or will dump a dealer they catch selling their stuff to we mere mortals, but I don't have to be concerned with getting a visit from ABC.GOV, which is the only thing I make sure never happens again.

What is the actual deal on this? As far as I know, it is not illegal to buy stolen gear, gov or not. It is illegal to knowingly buy stolen gear. Big difference. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do due diligence, but it is hard to imagine that unknowingly purchasing something has consequences other than the loss of that item, and maybe some pain in the ass, which in this case isn't just a touch of money.

choid im pretty sure your in trouble for possessing stolen gear. thats why people always comment on buyer beware. its just up to the prosecutor as to whether confiscation is enough of a punishment, or if they want to go a step further.

What is the actual deal on this? As far as I know, it is not illegal to buy stolen gear, gov or not. It is illegal to knowingly buy stolen gear. Big difference. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do due diligence, but it is hard to imagine that unknowingly purchasing something has consequences other than the loss of that item, and maybe some pain in the ass, which in this case isn't just a touch of money.

Setting aside the Ethical / Moral debate for a moment... Big Bro is a jealous lover and doesn't want you fondling his bits. If he gets wind that you're fingering his swag he'll send a couple of his minions your way to collect his marbles. At that level, they don't really care about you. In fact, they're generally well behaved and have no interest in doing you harm. They're not entirely unsympathetic and know you were probably duped and stand to lose some real coin. You will get a nice receipt for your troubles to frame and mount on your wall.

choid im pretty sure your in trouble for possessing stolen gear. thats why people always comment on buyer beware. its just up to the prosecutor as to whether confiscation is enough of a punishment, or if they want to go a step further.

Prosecutors can do many things. The point is that the law does not require you to assume merchandise is stolen, and you aren't liable unless you should have known. In other words, if you go to your local corner store and buy potato chips in good faith, and it turns out they had been stolen from the Frito Lay truck, you are not liable (assuming you didn't know) because there was no need to be suspicious. Similarly, if you buy a S&B scope that happened to be stolen, the presumption would be you probably didn't know, as they are distributed through normal channels. If you were offered ten S&B scopes for $500, you would be liable because you should have assumed they were hot at that price.

The waters are always a bit muddy, like with a Raid X that has no significant distribution you might be expected to expect, but you would likely be indemnified by asking the seller and keeping record. Not that you would be able to keep your Raid.

Anent the above, consider three scenarios. In each one you buy a stolen .mil item on ebay. One is a Blue Force Gear sling, the second is a Vectronix PLRF and the third an INOD. There is no reason to assume the BFG sling is stolen as they are widely distributed through many channels. The Vectronix certainly exists more in the military than the civilian world, but still it has, or had, distribution through Ashbury et al, so while the more savvy buyers might be suspicious, you would likely not be liable for not assuming. With the INOD, they are 99% military and there is no civilian distribution. There is no way you could have assumed it was not hot, so you could be in trouble.

In all three instances, you would be in trouble if you were informed about the dodgy provenance, and in all three cases you could, or would, lose the item, but criminal liability is likely only there in case three.

i slowed down and glanced at the code and agree with you that the 'knowledge' of it being stolen is the key element to being found guilty. also agree that no one wants to benefit a thief, and that the expensive part of being in possession of stolen goods may not be just the confiscation of said product, but also securing the lawyers to argue before the court that you had no knowledge.

Anent the above, consider three scenarios. In each one you buy a stolen .mil item on ebay. One is a Blue Force Gear sling, the second is a Vectronix PLRF and the third an INOD. There is no reason to assume the BFG sling is stolen as they are widely distributed through many channels. The Vectronix certainly exists more in the military than the civilian world, but still it has, or had, distribution through Ashbury et al, so while the more savvy buyers might be suspicious, you would likely not be liable for not assuming. With the INOD, they are 99% military and there is no civilian distribution. There is no way you could have assumed it was not hot, so you could be in trouble.

In all three instances, you would be in trouble if you were informed about the dodgy provenance, and in all three cases you could, or would, lose the item, but criminal liability is likely only there in case three.

I would even argue in most cases that they won't care much about you even under scenario #3, unless you're a habitual offender or frequent purveyor of dodgy .GOV goods. Intent / foreknowledge is virtually impossible to prove in open court without a mountain of evidence and ample reason for them to NOT leave you alone -- i.e. you are frequently reselling stolen goods. Even then, it's really, really difficult because the "supply chain" is hard for Big Bro to keep a lid on. I've seen legit .GOV auctions where Demil-D code kit gets sold off by one of his many agencies. It's not *supposed* to happen, but it does. Just look at the dude over on ARF EE selling a super-high-end thermal for $95K. He bought it legit, but it was never supposed to be sold. They wanted it back, but he had the paperwork and the legal firepower to tell Uncle Sugar to go pound sand, and that's just what they did. I've personally had a couple of phone calls and visits over the past couple of years where they walked away empty-handed because I could demonstrate provenance, or that it was never Uncle's property to begin with.

With the recent advent of overrun releases of former BAE / Oasys stuff via Trijicon, limited commercial availability of items like the CRATOS and LWTS-LR, new products like the MAWL C1+ and Raptar S/ES, the gray market has less and less appeal, and the black market is reserved for truly Radioactive Unobtanium. There's simply little reason to risk your nuts on "full power" ATPIALs and other bits of kit that are sure to pique your Uncle's interest.

I've heard EVERY backstory in the book, and some were iron-clad (like vetted by actual high-ranking .MIL peeps as being 100% legit, only to discover later that those peeps were in on the "deal"). If it's on Big Bro's list of goodies belonging to him, it's going away and you're going on his naughty list.

Ultimately, his minions just want to trace it back to the source of the leak and plug it. On most occasions, it was just some grunt who managed to conveniently "forget" that it was in his ruck. On the rarest of occasions, it leads them to their greatest fears.

Ask me how I know.

Last edited:
    Reactions: jwramp and CoryT
    I would even argue in most cases that they won't care much about you even under scenario #3, unless you're a habitual offender or frequent purveyor of dodgy .GOV goods. Intent / foreknowledge is virtually impossible to prove in open court without a mountain of evidence and ample reason for them to NOT leave you alone -- i.e. you are frequently reselling stolen goods. Even then, it's really, really difficult because the "supply chain" is hard for Big Bro to keep a lid on. I've seen legit .GOV auctions where Demil-D code kit gets sold off by one of his many agencies. It's not *supposed* to happen, but it does. Just look at the dude over on ARF EE selling a super-high-end thermal for $95K. He bought it legit, but it was never supposed to be sold. They wanted it back, but he had the paperwork and the legal firepower to tell Uncle Sugar to go pound sand, and that's just what they did. I've personally had a couple of phone calls and visits over the past couple of years where they walked away empty-handed because I could demonstrate provenance, or that it was never Uncle's property to begin with.

With the recent advent of overrun releases of former BAE / Oasys stuff via Trijicon, limited commercial availability of items like the CRATOS and LWTS-LR, new products like the MAWL C1+ and Raptar S/ES, the gray market has less and less appeal, and the black market is reserved for truly Radioactive Unobtanium. There's simply little reason to risk your nuts on "full power" ATPIALs and other bits of kit that are sure to pique your Uncle's interest.

I've heard EVERY backstory in the book, and some were iron-clad (like vetted by actual high-ranking .MIL peeps as being 100% legit, only to discover later that those peeps were in on the "deal"). If it's on Big Bro's list of goodies belonging to him, it's going away and you're going on his naughty list.

Ultimately, his minions just want to trace it back to the source of the leak and plug it. On most occasions, it was just some grunt who managed to conveniently "forget" that it was in his ruck. On the rarest of occasions, it leads them to their greatest fears.

Ask me how I know.
    I gotta admit, when you posted pics of that ENVG, I was like "WTF? Those are still engineering prototypes!?!?" Then after you mentioned a couple things, I thought, "Ahh...yeah. You lucky bastard." 😎

I gotta admit, when you posted pics of that ENVG, I was like "WTF? Those are still engineering prototypes!?!?" Then after you mentioned a couple things, I thought, "Ahh...yeah. You lucky bastard." 😎

Yup, I’m not “supposed” to have it, and “they” don’t want me to have it, but it never belonged to Uncle Sugar and it ain’t stolen. :giggle:

That’s all I care about.

I even went so far as to make sure the tube was replaced with one of my repurposed commercial PVS-14 L3 WP tubes (the original tubes are GP) in case they wanted to use that to claim provenance.

And for any of my Alphabet Soup fans in the audience, for your viewing pleasure, I submit the following (it’ll save you a visit ;) ):

5F75B22A-3661-432C-A6D8-11F93B7D4E4E.jpeg

Can we get videos of the raid and envg-III, you know for science!

First off congrats, excellent find and I know people who have used them and they are fantastic. I like how the module is on one side like the MAWL for parallel zero.

Can you confirm it takes the regular remote switch from a SureFire dual pressure pad.
    I will be an official member of Raid X Club very soon and was curios as I could find anything to confirm. Awesome little unit!

Are you sure the lasers are offset? They look pretty much inline with the rail to me.

Okay I’ve got to ask... what was it used for in the short time it was in civilian hands? I don’t see much application for it

I used it to chase cows out in our pasture from the comfort of the rocker/recliner in my living room. It had daylight camera, NV/i2 camera, and thermal camera along with 2-way mic/speaker. So, I would roam the pasture late at night heading toward groups of cows say “Come’er cows! Mooooo!!! Come’er cows!!!”

If I chased them they’d run away screaming. If I just sat there, they’d all gather ‘round sniffing and licking it... until I started talking and moving around.

I would also use it to knock on neighbors’ doors and cruise my rural hamlet. Had a pretty good range, even from indoors.

It’s precisely what iRobot originally designed it to do.

Last edited:
    I used it to chase cows out in our pasture from the comfort of the rocker/recliner in my living room. It had daylight camera, NV/i2 camera, and thermal camera along with 2-way mic/speaker. So, I would roam the pasture heading toward groups of cows say “Come’er cows! Mooooo!!! Come’er cows!!!”

If I chased them they’d run away screaming. If I just sat there, they’d all gather ‘round sniffing and licking it... until I started talking and moving around.

I would also use it to knock on neighbors’ doors and cruise my rural hamlet. Had a pretty good range, even from indoors.

You just needed to mount a weapon on it...remote control NV hunting. :D

I used it to chase cows out in our pasture from the comfort of the rocker/recliner in my living room. It had daylight camera, NV/i2 camera, and thermal camera along with 2-way mic/speaker. So, I would roam the pasture late at night heading toward groups of cows say “Come’er cows! Mooooo!!! Come’er cows!!!”

This is awesome. Laughed my ass off. Too bad you couldn’t weasel your way into keeping it.

So no trouble for you besides abc.gov knocking on your door wanting their toys back?

This is awesome. Laughed my ass off. Too bad you couldn’t weasel your way into keeping it.

So no trouble for you besides abc.gov knocking on your door wanting their toys back?

I was very sad to see Robot go. We grew very close, and I still shed a tear on each anniversary of his forced abduction. I actually believe(d) that I got Robot legitimately, but if Uncle Sugar doesn't want to share his toys with you and insists that you return them, Average Joes like us have relatively little recourse. So, in the spirit of full cooperation, I sacrificed Robot.

Regarding troubles, they seemed to lose interest in me very quickly once I pointed them in the "right direction," in a manner of speaking... but there was one dude from a Nameless-Committee-Integrated-Services branch -- actually a pretty cool dude personally (if you're reading this :giggle: ) -- who had rather strong affections for me. Apparently, I was his main squeeze for a full year, and he was exceptionally thorough. He was operating under the misguided presumption that I was literally The Kingpin of .GOV black market shenanigans, instead of just an enthusiastic consumer of nifty nocturnal goodies.

Now THAT was fun!

The things I'd love to share... just to clear the air and set the record straight. The ARF-o-Sphere was a gas for the first few months of my sabbatical. ARF pundits are a riot!

Last edited:
    I was very sad to see Robot go. We grew very close, and I still shed a tear on each anniversary of his forced abduction. I actually believe(d) that I got Robot legitimately, but if Uncle Sugar doesn't want to share his toys with you and insists that you return them, Average Joes like us have relatively little recourse. So, in the spirit of full cooperation, I sacrificed Robot.

Regarding troubles, they seemed to lose interest in my very quickly once I pointed them in the "right direction," in a manner of speaking... but there was one dude from a Nameless-Committee-Integrated-Services branch -- actually a pretty cool dude personally (if you're reading this :giggle: ) -- who had rather strong affections for me. Apparently, I was his main squeeze for a full year, and he was exceptionally thorough. He was operating under the misguided presumption that I was literally The Kingpin of .GOV black market shenanigans, instead of just an enthusiastic consumer of nifty nocturnal goodies.

Now THAT was fun!

The things I'd love to share... just to clear the air and set the record straight. The ARF-o-Sphere was a gas for the first few months of my sabbatical. ARF pundits are a riot!
    You got a link to that thread? I’ve got some nice quiet time while my kids asleep and could use the entertainment.

being anally probed for a year definitely sounds like fun. Probably doesn’t help when you have goodies that most civilians don’t even know exist.

LOL. How in the hell did you show such restraint from stirring the pot in that thread? I mean, I get why you wouldn’t, but Jesus. There were soooo many opportunities to bend them suckers all out of shape.

• Haha
    LOL. How in the hell did you show such restraint from stirring the pot in that thread? I mean, I get why you wouldn’t, but Jesus. There were soooo many opportunities to bend them suckers all out of shape.

It was hard, believe me. More than once I had typed-up a post, including a couple of long ones, and hovered over the post button for minutes.