• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

And you thought your boss was bad

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com
    It's official, I am looking for a new job. That's a big enough problem in this economy, but it gets worse.
    I have worked for the same company since 2006, a very large international corporation that does environmental services of every kind in so many countries I cant remember them all. I enjoy my job, it takes me to places and see things that most don't get to. But the reason I have decided to seek a new job is a long sob story about nepotism, unrighteous dominion, and unequal treatment. The reason I decided to air this debacle amongst you all, is to ask your advise as to a future, as well as perhaps some legal insight if you have any. (It never ceases to amaze me the resources available here on the hide)
    Like I said, I've been with the company since 2006, I started as a mechanic to maintain the fleet. But my boss/bosses decided that my "skills" would be well suited to work in the field as well. Over the years I became sort of a jack of all trades, one day rebuilding transmissions in the shop, another day pumping acid in Oklahoma, another day hauling haz waste through Montana. It all changed when one of my three bosses decided to hire his friend and neighbor to essentially take my job. Every leg up was given to him, i.e. raises, company vehicle, titles, ect. While my one boss was doing this, the other one started promoting several friends as well, beyond their skill level,education, and seniority. So now we have a guy who a couple years ago was shoveling shit at the zoo as an HR and <span style="font-weight: bold">SAFETY</span>manager. So between the three of them, there was no room for CBM to progress.
    After suffering through the situation for a couple years, I couldn't take it anymore. I decided I would go through the appropriate company channels to inform the higher ups what was going on. Just a few of the things that were going on: giving buddies raises for something they didn't do, blatantly giving buddies preferential treatment such as time off, paying for things with company money/time, free rides to work, free tools to work with while others paid,ect. Some of the more egregious things as well: allowing strung out employees to take <span style="font-weight: bold">paid</span> time off to rest from crashing their company vehicle, <span style="font-weight: bold">knowingly</span> allowing employees to drink and drive company vehicles, as well as do drugs. And somehow they never got popped for a random. Rehiring known felons who already stole company money, all the while holding other employees like myself to higher standards. Such as being written up for drivers logs not being turned in on time.
    The conversation I had with the corporate representative was promising at first, it seemed some heads would roll. But after seven months, almost nothing has changed. Instead of admitting to their wrongdoing and making good on it, they came out strong and told us all how easy it was for them to fire us, for small and simple things. Not only that, but I am the last of the whistle-blowers to remain employed there still, they have managed to weed out the rest, They know that I am one of them, and where before they were casually trying to get rid of me, now they are actively seeking to fire me. I have to walk a very straight line every day to keep from giving them a reason, but I am quite literally a walking target. They send me on hard jobs that they hope I will screw up, they send me with the wrong equipment and set me up to fail and then get mad when I dont. I cant stand the pressure, and cant trust anyone anymore, its a shark tank and I'm the bait.
    For those of you who work in any OSHA/MSHA regulated industry, you know how fucked up this is, I am the only ASE certified mechanic, the only DOT inspector, the only Class A CDL driver with hazmat, and the most safely driven miles of any employee in my division (Zero accidents), one of the few who could get a TWIC card, and I am probably one of the most seasoned employees as well, yet I am surpassed by greenies who have made friends in high places.

So, do any of you have advise,
    confused.gif
    or have been through this situation before? I'm sure there has to be some kind of legal ramification, but I dont know where to even start that.

Re: And you thought your boss was bad

Is Utah a right to work state? If it is your up shits creek with out a paddle. I had similar situations happen to both me and my friend. My buddy was working for the trucking company Werner and was told to do DOT inspections on trucks. Even though he wasn't certified to do DOT inspections. He refused to do the inspections knowing that peoples lives were at risk. So the fired him for something petty.

They "replaced" me at my Tig welding job because I didn't fit in with the upper management. The job was temp to perm and I was a temp for 6 MONTHS. Some people had been a temp for over a year and still were not hired on or just let go for no apparent reason and unable to collect unemployment because they were a temp.

Like I said. If it's a right to work state your screwed and they can let you go for any thing. If it is a right to work state than document all of the misconduct, legal violations, and ligament mistreatment. Take your findings to a lawyer and try to get a case if it is really as severe as you say it is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Utah a right to work state? </div></div>

I believe so? anyone? anyone? I think I may be screwed as far as that goes.

I bet everyone of us can relate in some shape or form. Sounds like you just need to let them fire you and try for unemployment. It's not guaranteed and it sounds like they will try to fuck you on that too, the last company I worked for tried to fuck about 600 people out of unemployment when they laid us all off (LOL they ended up earning themselves an audit).

Sounds shitty but you have to play the game. I've never worked for a place that didn't have some sort of 'good old boy club'. Be political and think several steps ahead before you say do anything, it's a constant chess game so get good at chess, it's worked well for me i.e. I took a highly sought after (within the company) engineering position that should have gone to any number of more seasoned/tenured engineers. I should mention that my last company only laid us all off because they were outsourcing the engineering and manufacturing to China.

Sounds like a normal company to me. Don't get me wrong, I feel for you but this shit happens ALL THE TIME. There is one thing that no company can take from you and that is your skill, and knowledge to get the job done. I would think that whatever company you work for there is another company out there that competes with them. Don't wait. It is much easier to get a new job when you already have one. (Long story just take my word for it).
    Believe me they will get their Karma when the time comes. A shitload of shirts can't make anything happen so let them implode on their own. Just keep quiet and maybe some day you will have the last laugh.

One particular nice boss I had once told me he always held the cards and has the last say so. I told him he didn't. He said I could always lay you off. I told him he could not because I quit. Right in the middle of about $10K worth of work. Sucked to be him. It gave me insight as to what it takes to run a business and I never treated employees with anything but respect even when I had to let some go.

The day I packed it in an retired, was when the FNG they hired said, here's how it's going to be. OK, speak your piece Bitch I'm listening. After he was done, It was my turn. Now it's 1325hrs on Thursday, is that correct? Ya an so what he say's. Your fucking truck with all your shit in it is awaiting your pick up. Or I'll take it to the shop tomorrow AM your choice. Really he says, yes that's correct, bitch. Next AM truck is at shop. 0700 I get a call from VP, Hay man, where you going to be today. Home an the S/S office, why, well we need you to go to Va an,...I cut him short, an said can't help ya, why whats wrong, well I quit yesterday that's why! What do you mean you quit yesterday, what going on. Informed him, an ended the call. Less than 2 minutes later the owner calls, How can I fix this? Can't, we are done, either you did not care, or did not know all this was coming, either way it's over. I've been making comments, an even we talked about this problem 4 months ago, an nothing changed.
    Him--- Well would you entertain working as a consulting contractor,
    Me--- No, even that's out of the question.
    Him, what am I going to do?
    Me, Don't know not my problem anymore, but if it were me I'd get the desk riders that say Power Generation Techs are a dime a dozen to round up a few. I've got to go, retirement awaits.
    I've a few friends within the trade, an get a little feed back every now an then,...I got the last laugh.
    W/O skilled trades folk, nothing is profitable very long. Treat folks like dogs long enough, they will bite back. In some cases the infection from same, will get to the root issue.

There's big plans to drill like 4500 gas wells in central WY soon. Just sayin'....

Just move on, STFU at your next job, you have now burned one bridge, don't make it another.

If you REALLY want to get back at them a labor attorney can help put together a case to document how you were a whistle blower for safety and discriminatory practices within the workplace and they fired you for it. There is a federal law against such behavior (as the ATF is finding out now) and if you REALLY feel the need to screw the people who are screwing you then that would be my advice.

Keep in mind though, this is a costly process. My approach would be much more in line with what Gunfighter14e2 said, without the retirement.

Find a new job (before you quit this one)
    Give your 2 weeks notice on this job, then take as much vacation time as you have left. It doesn't sound like they're going to pay you the accrued time anyway even though it is legally owed.
    Move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Me, Don't know not my problem anymore, but if it were me I'd get the desk riders that say Power Generation Techs are a dime a dozen to round up a few.</div></div>
    Nothing like a few years of drinking in a college dorm and putting on a tie to make you think a skilled technicians are a dime a dozen.
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">W/O skilled trades folk, nothing is profitable very long. Treat folks like dogs long enough, they will bite back. In some cases the infection from same, will get to the root issue.</div></div>
    Preach on brother. Ain't that the truth.

Yep, experience will trump a paper hanger, every time. Many years ago I was "Forced" to attend a meeting with suits. I went in my normal dress, which should have been sign for those who could read, but again, suited paper hangers are a breed unto their own.
    During the conversation about the 100Mw Peaking plant the meeting was about, a "Nuclear Engineer" made reference to large motor starting in rush factors, and the inability to start them 1 to 1 across the line, when I called B/S. Long, short, they must have missed a few lessons during their schooling and final test, because they all got their ass's handed to them about that. They wanted to see it done. Demo a week later, had all na say'ers eating crow. They seemed to have a change of tune after the demo, as one even owned up to the fact "I've tested your(meaning mine)theory with the best computer model there is and it failed every time". Will I said first of all it's not theory it's fact, as you just seen it done. Second if you got your head away from those computers long enough, you would understand that copper wire, steel, an internal combustion engines are just as dumn as a box of rocks.
    It don't take much to out smart them, where I'm from. Just because folks like me don't have wall scare paper, like you'll, does not mean we are, Boo'pped, as my grandson says. Needless to say, my employer said I should have left the last part out. Well he actuality said, I should learn to use a little more sugar an tact at times,... Sorry, ain't the way I roll.

Edit to add, Those worth their salt, can walk from one job to another w/o issue, an that's why some are paid very well for what they do. The trick for the employer, is understanding when the B/S line exceeds the Money line, the employees corrective action is but a phone call, an foot vote away.

Is it a publicly traded company? If so you can go to the board AFTER you've found another job offer or if you're at the end of your rope.

The morals of the managers isn't going to change. They know you're right and they'll fight with all they have to color you bad and the replacements good. The only hope you have is if people above these tossers have any morals.

Hope you land on your feet. These guys are going to get it some day, maybe just not today.

CBM

Having met you, it is readily apparent that you are a genuinely good person. You should have no problem making it on your own merits in a better environment.

Yes, you could consult legal counsel and get in a protracted fight that would do nothing but sap your energy, health, and mental well being and in the end have very little impact on those who have wronged you. Karma will eventually take care of business, maybe not in the way you would choose, but not at you and your family's expense either.

Put your skills out there, and drive on. Best of luck to you as you most assuredly deserve it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, experience will trump a paper hanger, every time. Many years ago I was "Forced" to attend a meeting with suits. I went in my normal dress, which should have been sign for those who could read, but again, suited paper hangers are a breed unto their own.
    During the conversation about the 100Mw Peaking plant the meeting was about, a "Nuclear Engineer" made reference to large motor starting in rush factors, and the inability to start them 1 to 1 across the line, when I called B/S. Long, short, they must have missed a few lessons during their schooling and final test, because they all got their ass's handed to them about that. They wanted to see it done. Demo a week later, had all na say'ers eating crow. They seemed to have a change of tune after the demo, as one even owned up to the fact "I've tested your(meaning mine)theory with the best computer model there is and it failed every time". Will I said first of all it's not theory it's fact, as you just seen it done. Second if you got your head away from those computers long enough, you would understand that copper wire, steel, an internal combustion engines are just as dumn as a box of rocks.
    It don't take much to out smart them, where I'm from. Just because folks like me don't have wall scare paper, like you'll, does not mean we are, Boo'pped, as my grandson says. Needless to say, my employer said I should have left the last part out. Well he actuality said, I should learn to use a little more sugar an tact at times,... Sorry, ain't the way I roll.

Edit to add, Those worth their salt, can walk from one job to another w/o issue, an that's why some are paid very well for what they do. The trick for the employer, is understanding when the B/S line exceeds the Money line, the employees corrective action is but a phone call, an foot vote away. </div></div>

There are times that the suits are so out of touch with reality it baffles me.
    At one time at the dealership we had a GM (manager of the dealership) that was queer as a three dollar bill. It is not a slur if it is true. Well anyways he brings us into this whole dealership meeting at 7:00 in the morning and tries to "motivate" us by holding hands and singing we are the world. I shit you not. He got a look from about 30 techs with an average age of 45 to 50 that almost killed him dead. To say the least that did not go to well.

He was always using some ridiculous salesman office lady bullshit programs that cost $100K or more a meeting. CANI, The Deming way, etc. etc. etc. I knew it was all bullshit when I did a cost analysis on a new style screw compressor to replace the 1970's radial compressors that would have amortized over about 2 years. I even found some used ones in the $10K range that would have saved thousands a month in electricity (San Diego was just starting to double rates to the highest in the country). He never replaced that compressor. The new GM replaced it after two weeks when I showed him the same info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep, experience will trump a paper hanger, every time. Many years ago I was "Forced" to attend a meeting with suits. I went in my normal dress, which should have been sign for those who could read, but again, suited paper hangers are a breed unto their own.

Edit to add, Those worth their salt, can walk from one job to another w/o issue, an that's why some are paid very well for what they do. The trick for the employer, is understanding when the B/S line exceeds the Money line, the employees corrective action is but a phone call, an foot vote away. </div></div>

There are times that the suits are so out of touch with reality it baffles me.
    At one time at the dealership we had a GM (manager of the dealership) that was queer as a three dollar bill. It is not a slur if it is true. Well anyways he brings us into this whole dealership meeting at 7:00 in the morning and tries to "motivate" us by holding hands and singing we are the world. I shit you not. He got a look from about 30 techs with an average age of 45 to 50 that almost killed him dead. To say the least that did not go to well.

He was always using some ridiculous salesman office lady bullshit programs that cost $100K or more a meeting. CANI, The Deming way, etc. etc. etc. I knew it was all bullshit when I did a cost analysis on a new style screw compressor to replace the 1970's radial compressors that would have amortized over about 2 years. I even found some used ones in the $10K range that would have saved thousands a month in electricity (San Diego was just starting to double rates to the highest in the country). </div></div>

BVwahahah! Was it the 1984 version, with Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan, and Cyndy Lauper? That's great...what a douche.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just move on, STFU at your next job, you have now burned one bridge, don't make it another. </div></div>

Seriously?? STFU? I hope I never work with people with that attitude. So you think I should have just let people's careers get pushed aside and let drunk drivers keep driving huh? And let mine and others job's and safety be put in jeopardy by shitbags who don't care about ethics and/or the law?
    Yeah, dont think I'll take your advise
    crazy.gif
    and BTW, I haven't burned any bridges, for that matter it was burned by the troll's who live under it.

Smokshwn, Gunfighter, and Danny, thanks for the advise and kind words.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CBM

Having met you, it is readily apparent that you are a genuinely good person. You should have no problem making it on your own merits in a better environment.

Yes, you could consult legal counsel and get in a protracted fight that would do nothing but sap your energy, health, and mental well being and in the end have very little impact on those who have wronged you. Karma will eventually take care of business, maybe not in the way you would choose, but not at you and your family's expense either.

Put your skills out there, and drive on. Best of luck to you as you most assuredly deserve it.</div></div>

+1.

Not much to do about disparity of "rewards" of nepotism, favoritism etc.; if they did something that threatened the health/safety of someone or your company's products and/or delivery that you can unequivocally document, you can get some satisfaction at an OSHA/DOT call after you are secure in another position. The Silkwood's reward aren't there anymore.

I didn't mean STFU in the way it looks, I'm sorry about that, what I mean is move on before you get labeled a trouble maker, don't ever never ever complain to your supervisors boss about him, use whatever Government Agency you can to correct issues, leadership heads roll really fast when fines are levied, right now protect yourself at all cost, get another job ASAP, and don't make any mistakes that can give your current employer ammo on terminating you, because if it's as bad as you say they are looking for the one thing to axe you right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UKDslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CBM

Put your skills out there, and drive on. Best of luck to you as you most assuredly deserve it.</div></div>

+1.

Not much to do about disparity of "rewards" of nepotism, favoritism etc.; if they did something that threatened the health/safety of someone or your company's products and/or delivery that you can unequivocally document, you can get some satisfaction at an OSHA/DOT call after you are secure in another position. The Silkwood's reward aren't there anymore. </div></div>

Thanks UKD, I hadn't thought about that, the power of OSHA and DOT could do some serious help here, as their influence has the power of God over my industry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't mean STFU in the way it looks, I'm sorry about that, what I mean is move on before you get labeled a trouble maker, don't ever never ever complain to your supervisors boss about him, use whatever Government Agency you can to correct issues, leadership heads roll really fast when fines are levied, right now protect yourself at all cost, get another job ASAP, and don't make any mistakes that can give your current employer ammo on terminating you, because if it's as bad as you say they are looking for the one thing to axe you right now.</div></div>

Thanks for clarifying that, I didn't want to believe you really thought that. I am looking at all the options you speak of, looking at jobs now
    eek.gif
    that sucks. walkin the line. . . . . . . ..

New update as of today: the Bosses favorite son/neighbor/buddy who is my junior in every way but age, looks like he is being groomed to take the position I have been working towards for the last few years. Now he will be my new boss, as soon as he finishes a class in September.
    mad.gif
    mad.gif
    mad.gif
    mad.gif
    A certification I completed in 2002 and have been utilizing ever since.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is Utah a right to work state? If it is your up shits creek with out a paddle. </div></div>

I believe the term you're looking for is "employment at will."

Right to work laws are an entirely different concept.

I was in a bad situation at my previous position. After 4 years of oppression i quit. Then I was hired by a different department for the same company and now I control those who oppressed me. Someone will realize your talents and skill, just a matter of time and networking. The more that are aware of you the better chance you have at an easier less stressful life.

If you really want to make a go at it then go higher than the Corporate Rep. There's always someone above anyone until you get to the top...