• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anealing Case Necks

Fritzcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
Texas Tyler
I have some S&B 7.63x39 cases that did not always expand and seal the gas on sub-sonic loads. Will anealing the case neck soften them so they will expand? How do I go about anealing them? Thanks Eddie

Re: Anealing Case Necks

Annealing will soften the brass, but SS loads might be your problem, my SS loads hardly expand the necks and shoot just fine, if you still want to try annealing here's how I do it, get some Tempilaq 650° and apply it to the inside of the case neck, spin the case and apply heat, the Tempilaq melts your done, either dump the case in water or let it air cool.

I have been using a lot of Fed. Cases and they work fine. Just colledted a few S&B and wanted to use them. Yesterday I loaded some Win & Lapue and they sealed and cycled OK. So it must have been the S&B cases are hard. The Tempilaq, is it a 650 deg Temp Stick from welding supplies and how do apply the heat? Thanks Eddie

I've annealed cases with a cigarette lighter before as a demonstration on how to do it. I wouldn't suggest that method because it's so painfully slow.

A good propane torch gets the job done neatly and quickly.

Make sure that you don't destroy the brass hardness at the case head.
Personally I would use a neck turner to thin the case neck.
I have annealed before but came to realize that it requires far more precision than I can deliver to get the results that I want.

I used a propane torch and had the case head held under water with pliers. When the water begins to boil at the water line at least you know that the case head is protected.
Annealing temps can be quite high to truly soften the case.
I think that I may have been just restoring the "appearance" of an annealed case neck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used a propane torch and had the case head held under water with pliers. <span style="text-decoration: underline">When the water begins to boil at the water line at least you know that the case head is protected.</span>Annealing temps can be quite high to truly soften the case.
I think that I may have been just restoring the "appearance" of an annealed case neck. </div></div>

Are you writing this from the other side? Will you tell my grandparents I still love and think of them often?

LOL,
No, I'm very much still alive and so are your grandparents.
They just don't want to see you any more.

In all seriousness though the case head can reach higher temps during firing.
If the mid case (water line) is at 230 deg and the base is at maybe 100 degrees (if that) I'm not sure what detail I should have been frightened of.
If I overlooked something foolish for real, let me know cause I'm still in the dark about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hamilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL,
<span style="text-decoration: underline">No, I'm very much still alive and so are your grandparents.
They just don't want to see you any more.</span>

In all seriousness though the case head can reach higher temps during firing.
If the mid case (water line) is at 230 deg and the base is at maybe 100 degrees (if that) I'm not sure what detail I should have been frightened of.
If I overlooked something foolish for real, let me know cause I'm still in the dark about it. </div></div>

Guess I had that coming...Sob
shocked.gif

I started slow and am at a crawl regarding annealing. I have read several treads, articles and drooled over the videos of the various machines.

My process involves directing the torch head at spinning cases (I rigged a socket to sit on my RCBS case prep machine, that hlds the case while I direct the flame) for 5 seconds (.308) at the neck (just kissing the shoulder), then dropped into a bath. I'm thinking now that I can skip the bath quench as the case is only slightly warm at the head and thus waiting to for the cases to dry means I can't polish them for a few hours!

To finish, I chuck the cases gently into a cordless drill and spin them into some 0000 steel wool and the come out Puuuuuurty!

Like I said though, I'm not an authority on the subject.

Take care