• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anealing - How often?

DIYguy

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2018
Finally bought an Annealeez and love that thing. Went through and was annealing all my multi-fired used brass but do have a question for others that anneal. How often do you anneal your fired brass? I have a bunch of Hornady Factory Match 6.5 brass once fired. Is it worth annealing or wait until at least the 2nd firing? For 6.5 brass I never bought new brass, just recycled by buying loaded Hornady match ammo and converting it into empty brass. Also have a friend that doesn't reload yet but has over ten pounds of once fire Hornady brass I've been prepping for him. Same question.

I have an Annealeez. Since it's so easy, I anneal after every firing. I load up 200 pieces of brass, start it up and they are all done in no time. I only do 6.5 CM, so there is no additional setup. I do other things at the bench while the machine pops out all the annealed brass. Great machine.

Likewise, I anneal after every firing to keep the consistency and I do my annealing with an Annealeez, which does the job very well. I get single digit SD's and low ES, which I attribute in large part to this.

Newbie here.....but I bought an anealeezz myself awhile back and since I have it I use it after every firing

Have to admit, it is sort of fun. I do my annealing with the shop dark, minimal light so I can watch the flame and regulate it to get max anneal just shy of metal burning (orange puff) It's sort of like watching a campfire with a cold one in hand.

Not to hi jack the thread...

I have been annealing after every firing too, 280ai.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the amount of heat/time it takes to anneal nickel plated brass?

Shred

I have the Amp annealer... and enjoy the process... but, in speaking with the Redding technical rep he advised NOT to anneal every firing, suggested every 2-3 times due to “softening” of the brass and “brass transfer onto the die surface.... even quoted “Alex” from Amp saying that was Amp’s guidance. Anyone experience “brass transfer”?

I have the Amp annealer... and enjoy the process... but, in speaking with the Redding technical rep he advised NOT to anneal every firing, suggested every 2-3 times due to “softening” of the brass and “brass transfer onto the die surface.... even quoted “Alex” from Amp saying that was Amp’s guidance. Anyone experience “brass transfer”?
This is from Amps online manual
91B02F0C-163F-4FCC-8906-F547E343218B.jpeg

Reactions: spife7980