• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Angle indicator: Which one?

jp67

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2006
Into the wild
I am looking for a Slope Level Indicator.
Which one would you advise?
the Horus Vision Angle Slope Level Indicator -

pr_4_asli.jpg

Or the Angle cosine indicator?

new_aci_2small.jpg

Re: Angle indicator: Which one?

MilDot Master is faster cheaper and does the math for you

Cosine indicator is the way to go.

Eliminates a step.

I don't care what the angle is in degrees, I just need to know the cosine of the angle.

Flat dope x cosine gets REAL close, and it's fast.

Quicker (and more accurate) than the Mildot Master Method.

The MDM method (Which uses "The Rifleman's Rule")-will get you "close enough" -if the range is not too far, and the angle is not too steep... but past that- it starts to get ugly. And the farther and steeper you go, the uglier it gets.

Hope This Helps,

Marc

If you have an iPhone, "there's an app for that". Search on "ballistic"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marc357</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Cosine indicator is the way to go.

Eliminates a step.

I don't care what the angle is in degrees, I just need to know the cosine of the angle.

Flat dope x cosine gets REAL close, and it's fast.

Quicker (and more accurate) than the Mildot Master Method.

The MDM method (Which uses "The Rifleman's Rule")-will get you "close enough" -if the range is not too far, and the angle is not too steep... but past that- it starts to get ugly. And the farther and steeper you go, the uglier it gets.

Hope This Helps,

Marc </div></div>

Interesting... I like this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Dude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you have an iPhone, "there's an app for that". Search on "ballistic"

</div></div>

The sure is- but what if your iPhone goes tits up?

Just because pocket calculators are everywhere, doesn't mean you shouldn't know how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide with a pencil and paper...... right?

I'm very old school about stuff, and while modern technology is great - use it but have a backup - Carlos Hathcock never had one of these and did it all old school so it is possible....
Just saying one should know how to do it...

However - Go with Ward Brians ACI....I have one - just never shoot much from hills - YET - next weekend is a 1k shoot from hills though...

I've seen two the Horus jobbers. Both were tits-up at the time, little cosine indicator wouldn't move. Granted that's not a very large sampling, but it was enough to make me glad i had the ACI.

Plus the Horus is a log bigger and more obtrusive. The ACI is small enough to forget it's there until you need it.

Badger also a source for cosine

US optics also has a folding level indicator.

ive got some for sale in the accessories for sale section!!! indicator and mount for sale!
smile.gif

anyone know how the horus mounts? On its own ring. You supply ring? If it is its own, what sizes available?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone know how the horus mounts? On its own ring. You supply ring? If it is its own, what sizes available?

Thanks</div></div>

According to what I read, you have to supply a ring or buy as extra.
http://www.mountsplus.com/miva/merchant.mvc?page=MSP/PROD/HV-ASLI

Here is what the customer said:
"Long range shooting often requires scope mounts that tilt the scope down, "20 moa is common," This device has no calibration adjustments, I would like to see a movable line or a mount that can be twisted and locked into position.

regards Miro....."

He is right; there is no calibration adjustment on the Horus and most of us use inclined scope base. So there seem to be a probleme

I do like the ACI better than the Horus device, but not because you can calibrate the zero.

Both indicators read out in 5 degree increments.

20 MOA is only one third of a degree. You won't see it.

Marc

Someone tell us the truth.I thought that was the big advantage with the Horus ACI.It mounts on the scope and not on the rail.Isn't it best to have the ACI mounted on the line of site vs on a sloped mount?

Steve

Marc already answered that:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">20 MOA is only one third of a degree. You won't see it.</div></div>

To reiterate his point: In a device that has 5 degree markings, you can't see a third of a degree difference from the base.

I use a Mildot Master with a piece of string and a weight to measure angled shots. It reads out to one degree - but I still don't worry about that base angle.

If you zero it when the gun is level, it doesn't matter if it is mounted on a sloped rail.

I've got the one listed above that goes on the rail for a few weeks now..I'm on the fence if I like it or not.

I just ordered my ACI with Sniper Tools. I was thinking about getting the angle version but the cosine model is the one you want. Ward was really helpful on the phone getting me on track.

Degree markings are only nice if you want to do the math yourself. I personally want cosine.

Not necessarily. Some ballistic programs for a time would only accept angle data in degrees. Most now will take either degrees or the cosine of the angle.