• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Angle indicator?

Dustin Morris

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2008
Rayville,LA
Looking to buy an angle indicator and which is the best way to go a cosine or one that reads in degrees. I have no idea how to use one either so that information would be nice.( I know how to mount it and read it but not the math after you get degrees or cosine).

Thanks,
Dustin

Re: Angle indicator?

the option that i am familiar with is to use a clinomiter they can be found at either Ben Meadows or Forestrey suppliers. They come in several different configurations and run about $100 i think but it has been about 5 years since i have purchased anthing from either of them.

I have a ASLI which shows both angles and the cosine value. It also has a level indicator built in. They are available from several locations. Just do a search for "Horus ASLI Angle indicator"

thanks for the info. Looks like the horus is just what I need and the link posted above explains very easily how to use it.

Thanks,
Dustin

my vote is to the aci, its in cosine so just read the dial and multiply that by your dope. easy . heres mine mounted on 308 40xb
1628hv8.jpg

anyone know if horus will ship outside usa im in new zeland and pretty much my long range shooting is in the hills with some wicked angles

lucas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenmongoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my vote is to the aci, its in cosine so just read the dial and multiply that by your dope. easy . heres mine mounted on 308 40xb
1628hv8.jpg
</div></div>

hiddenmongoose is exactly correct. setup available through US Tactical Supply, Badger Ordnance or a dozen other places. this is the best way to go, in my opinion.

Cosine if your dope is known, angle if that's what your field ballistics program uses.

I like cosine, because its easy for me to add/subtract percentages quickly, and for angle shooting the cosine is "the percent" of dope to dial.

But with a Mildot Master it will do the math for you, and no batteries required, I know something hanging off your stick is tacticool, and a pocket sized laminated slide ruler isn't, but everyone needs a MdM, learn to use it.

In order to use the Mildot Master, do you still need to know the uphill or downhill angle you're shooting at?

Yes, but a string attached to your pen (or other weight) through the hole int eh corner makes it a "slope-doper".....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But with a Mildot Master it will do the math for you, and no batteries required, I know something hanging off your stick is tacticool, and a pocket sized laminated slide ruler isn't, but everyone needs a MdM, learn to use it. </div></div>

Pocket-sized laminated slide rules are an absolute MUST in field shooting...

what do you recon about the horus aci? looking at getting one casue of the built in anti cant. but not sure how well built/ acurate it is.

lucas

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimbothepunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what do you recon about the horus aci? looking at getting one casue of the built in anti cant. but not sure how well built/ acurate it is.

lucas</div></div>

Have had one on my DPMS-260 for about a year now, works good & no problems

The Scope is Zeiss Victory FL Diavari 6 - 24 x 56 T* with 60 ret SecondFP. Rifle 5R Milspec 308 with 20MOA rail and low Night Force rings. Its a lot of scope with about 9mm clearance off the barrel.

I'll do a picture when the last of the bolt on extras are on (Seekins magazine adapter, Atlas bipod). Rifle with toys comes in at about 13 1/2 lbs.

Just gonna throw this out...

I got one of the sniper tools design ACI's for christmas, and its really nice, and I mounted it up and I'm glad I have it.

BUT...

I was surprised just how high of an angle you need to get for it to indicate a cosine that would make much difference in your point of impact. I have little experience shooting angled shots but my point is this, unless you do A LOT of it, and those angles are pretty damn steep, your Mil Dot Master is probably plenty for the once in a while steep angle shots.

Those ACI's and their mounts are pricey...

LawnMM, agreed you do need pretty acute angles to make any marked change; plus add some real distance to the point that one could question the ethicalness of the shot on live game.

They are specialized and really for long range work and to be matched to long range kit when used in an environment that has extreme angles. For normal hunting finding a few points of aim to do the job by spending more on ammunition and practice on uphill down hill shooting would be the better investment.

On a military heavy sniper rifle with all the time in the world to work out range cards with ballistic computers and wind meters they are one more aid to the jigsaw.

i dunno bout the kool guy gadgetry but ifn i was ta tackle a really steep inline id wanna use a protractor and string. math is math and i never see a reason to buy nuttin where simple math is concerned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dunno bout the kool guy gadgetry but ifn i was ta tackle a really steep inline id wanna use a protractor and string. math is math and i never see a reason to buy nuttin where simple math is concerned. </div></div>

I would agree. I think a lot of it comes down to what kind of shooting are you going to be doing. I like the idea of little stuff like this thats hooked up and ready to go as soon as you pick up the rifle. That comes from my professional experience though. I try to set up my patrol rifle so anything I'm gonna need is right on the rifle so if the SHTF all I need to do is grab the rifle and go.

Some of that spills over onto my recreational bolt gun shooting. If you are hunting I don't know there's a need for instant ability to calculate the cosine of a high angle shot in a hurry.

If you are military or law enforcement, or you are setting your gun up that way for shits and giggles then I say go for it. At the end of the day its your rifle, you have a job and work hard, if you want one...buy it.

Owners of such additions to your weapon as a cosine/angle indicator seem to have two basic versions.

One is the owner who has just got the device but figure it is a great way to insure a fast shot in some imagind scenerio.

Second is the guy who has had it for several years and never used the device at all, but you never know, the umbrella principle and all.

Those who may or maynot own a bolt on indicator but TRAIN for an angle shot have observed that under 300 yards a good vital hit can be quickly calculated once you grasp what the formula does to take slope distance and get gravity affected distance.

I've gotten around more than a few mountain hunters and for most the imagined engagement scenerio is as rare as a hooker's freebee, and most often the quick enggement is at point blank range.

There is no system fast enough if you stumble out in the open and will have a fleeting shot at wary game. Otherwise the smart hunter can prepare his kill zone with predetermined Target Reference Points for any quick engagements.

For LE shooters the odds of a snap shot as soon as the high angle sniper gets into position are slim to lawsuit. Training to compute the range card will allow for any handheld and IMHO a more accurate method to deliver the values needed.

Bottomline I have taken away from all this is the imagined reasons for an indicator rarely manifest, but the LCCDI factor just oozes 'hardcore professional'.

Oh and proper training is far superior to bolt-on devices.

A very wise man once said to me, "aim for their peckers....worst case-you hit 'em in the pecker". There is some truth to that.

At the shorter ranges (600m and in) a 25 degree angle (far more realistic than the silly EXTREME-ANGLE 45+degree shots) you are talking about <12 cm of impact difference. well within the meat.(for a 300)

Its really about how much you practice and knowing what your limitations are. Do your homework too. not all gear that looks robust actually is. Consider what weather and real use can to do to your kit.

at the end of the day, ACI's do give you fast answers if yo practice with them enough, provided they are mounted properly. Nothing beats practice except lots of practice.

I actually wont shoot a round even on a flat range without a minimum of 2 ACI's equiped on my rifle, one on the scope, and one on the barrel, plus it's good to have a reserve in me delta force rucksack

thanks guys sorry bout the thread hi jack

what kinda fluting is on that bolt btw 40gt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jimbothepunk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks guys sorry bout the thread hi jack

what kinda fluting is on that bolt btw 40gt</div></div>

It is done by Sharp Shooter Supply. Click on "Bolt Parts" upper left corner.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

40gt

i can figger cosine with me angle of me dangle instantaneously and then quickly calculate with me prison purse stowed texas instruments.

you guys are lucky, I once asked me pappy to cosine a loan fer me, I'm still farting leather boot fragments. I didnt know a bolt on device couldve done it

got my horus the other day finally got it on my rifle had to modify my rail a bit before the sucker would go on

We carry the slope dopers in our store. Simple fast and easy to use.

The plastic casing on the Horus ASLI looks like it would pick up a lot of glare. Anyone have problems with this in bright sunlight?

I pick up the Horus and like it (have had it for about a year) , got a new scope and i like having a bubble level (IOR -MP 8 dot) for hold overs just happen that Horus had their ACI on sale ? $70 shipped,,,, figure a bubble would have been $30 = i paid $40 for the angle reader

The stand alone units are $$$ big bucks = so i killed two birds with one stone

thats what i found pat, it was going to be nzd $400 for the nightforce indicator so i told the joker to go jump but what annoys me the most and whats becoming a big trend is that there only 150 usd which is jusr under 200 nzd on mounting solutions plus its a no brainer really